2018 lawn maintenance thread

2WHLZ

I had good luck last year, but my soil is decent. When did you overseed and what was your watering pattern?
I did the overseed in September and was watering every evening for about 20 minutes. The soil would still dry up in spots but it generally seemed about right to me. Clay soil sux. Honestly I debated digging it up to make a wood fired pizza oven in the backyard.... the neighbors would love that.

rlb

I did the overseed in September and was watering every evening for about 20 minutes. The soil would still dry up in spots but it generally seemed about right to me. Clay soil sux. Honestly I debated digging it up to make a wood fired pizza oven in the backyard.... the neighbors would love that.

You need to water several times a day when seeding for 5-10 minutes at a time. You want the soil to be moist all the time. Then as the grass gets established you water less often but for longer, until you're down to once a day. Established grass only neess watering about once a week (I think 1 inch a week is the rule of thumb).

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yard clean up check in.

Picked up 20 little trailer loads full of debris. Burned said debris. Looks like 10 trees are going to need to come down. (fuck). Took 11 trees down last year.

Grass is suddenly growing fast. All that fertilizer from the Farmer next door's free range dogs crapping everywhere. 30740514_10215945574849203_5751062798205452288_n.jpg

rlb

Yard clean up check in.

Picked up 20 little trailer loads full of debris. Burned said debris. Looks like 10 trees are going to need to come down. (fuck). Took 11 trees down last year.

Grass is suddenly growing fast. All that fertilizer from the Farmer next door's free range dogs crapping everywhere.

Who decided owning a home was such a great idea? There was way more time to ride before....

2WHLZ

You need to water several times a day when seeding for 5-10 minutes at a time. You want the soil to be moist all the time. Then as the grass gets established you water less often but for longer, until you're down to once a day. Established grass only neess watering about once a week (I think 1 inch a week is the rule of thumb).
I will give that a try.

TJYeti

Knows about bikes
Just applied my pre emergent and fertilizer yesterday. Did a good dethatch first. I bought a new Scotts product 3 way something or other. I've had good luck with their stuff for basic weeds but I still get some crabgrass. Can you guys recommend something that really works? And my newest battle on my back lawn is Japanese Stilt grass, which afaik there is currently nothing for. I've been told you have to rip it out which would be a shame as my lawn is really nice where it is otherwise.

TJYeti

Knows about bikes
Thanks. That must be updated. When I looked at Rutgers site last year the info was different. We'll see if the crabgrass pre emergent has a better effect this year. I did spray with Bayer crabgrass killer last year and that did nothing, though that's one of the things recommended. Case in point on how things change - two years ago I had a lot of what was identified as nutsedge by Levitts garden center, and they told me there's no selective herbicide for it so I was out of luck. Well, last spring while looking at home depot I found that Bayer had come out with something just for nut sedge and it worked great, all gone.

Last edited:

TJYeti

Knows about bikes
Someone needs to figure out how to get rid of Japanese Knotweed. That stuff is a scourge.

Just looked at this on Rutgers' site. If it grows like bamboo and spreads by rizome, cut it off at its base and immediately paint the stub with roundup concentrate full strength.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
I've had success killing bamboo. A combination of Garlon and diesel(small amount, it acts as a penetrant and sticker). This is a job for winter or before plants start growing. Hack it down to less the 6" and spray with solution. It also works on Russian olive. Follow label rates.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.dbiservices.com/sites/default/files/SDS/Garlon%204%20Label.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjVk-6F28naAhXquFkKHe0PCHMQFgguMAM&usg=AOvVaw3fJfzPrVi1ObN5LH7MrwMv

I've gotten rid of small patches by cutting down and putting glyco into the stalk before it starts to heal. Need to do this several times until it kills it. The question is how do you get rid of it along 100 miles of Delaware River? The stuff is destroying river habitat everywhere in the Northeast.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've gotten rid of small patches by cutting down and putting glyco into the stalk before it starts to heal. Need to do this several times until it kills it. The question is how do you get rid of it along 100 miles of Delaware River? The stuff is destroying river habitat everywhere in the Northeast.
You would need an army to tackle that.

qclabrat

Just applied my pre emergent and fertilizer yesterday. Did a good dethatch first. I bought a new Scotts product 3 way something or other. I've had good luck with their stuff for basic weeds but I still get some crabgrass. Can you guys recommend something that really works? And my newest battle on my back lawn is Japanese Stilt grass, which afaik there is currently nothing for. I've been told you have to rip it out which would be a shame as my lawn is really nice where it is otherwise.
Every 3-4 weeks, zap it with Trimec by spraying. Don't dig or pull up anything on the lawn. The Trimec acts like a net over the lawn. Pulling weeds manually will introduce weed seeds

qclabrat

Okay doing the what weed is this here this year. These never died off, not a perennial, but almost like an evergreen. The second one is all over my lawn.
IMG_20180423_194143.jpgIMG_20180423_194158.jpg

serviceguy

Vines, what to do to prevent them from growing back? Spent half the last weekend cleaning them off the pole on the corner of our property (the tips are still up on the power cables but I'm not going anywhere near there), then today realized how tight the network on the ground was so spent again the whole afternoon pulling them out.

It doesn't help that they took in between broom shrubs, it's like a weed within a weed. While I do like the look of the yellow flowery shrubs, they got out of control before we bought the house, whoever maintained the property did a lazy job of pruning them and in general just piled up all the clippings in the narrow strip of land behind the garage to make things worse.

Top Bottom