2018 lawn maintenance thread

$1k a year for fertilizing, lawn care, aeration? You guys are smoking dust, and need to get other hobbies. My lawn guy charges less than half of that, and my lawn looks better then it ever had when I DIY'd it.

i pay a little bit more than that per year for 3 acres of grass. guy that owns the business shows up, tatted, pierced, gauged, and glassy eyed - but always shows up when
he says he will, so we are good to go. he even takes credit cards. i'm sure weed is a reasonable business expense in his line of work.

^^come on now, that was a little funny???

thatched and seeded.... i know spring isnt the best time to seed, but i was occupied this past fall. is there anything else i can do at this point besides pray? any fertilizer to add to this?

$1k a year for fertilizing, lawn care, aeration? You guys are smoking dust, and need to get other hobbies. My lawn guy charges less than half of that, and my lawn looks better then it ever had when I DIY'd it.

includes price of annual flowers, seeds and replantings

thatched and seeded.... i know spring isnt the best time to seed, but i was occupied this past fall. is there anything else i can do at this point besides pray? any fertilizer to add to this?
starter fertilizer, hay if very bare so that the birds don't get to it.
and constant watering, once they germinate, stay disciplined on watering otherwise will die.

Get soil tested. Dandelions love acidic lawns

Gonna play the other side (someone has to :p) .... go easy on the weed killer and please avoid permethrin as it kills the bees. Pulling weeds is hard work but much gentler on the environment. Bees need certain flowers in the spring to survive (dandelions being one). K done.

i pay a little bit more than that per year for 3 acres of grass. guy that owns the business shows up, tatted, pierced, gauged, and glassy eyed - but always shows up when
he says he will, so we are good to go. he even takes credit cards. i'm sure weed is a reasonable business expense in his line of work.

^^come on now, that was a little funny???

Hmmmm, your guy sounds an awful lot like my guy, where do you live again? I go way back with my guy, so he gives me a good deal, grass is green, everyone is happy.

Hmmmm, your guy sounds an awful lot like my guy, where do you live again? I go way back with my guy, so he gives me a good deal, grass is green, everyone is happy.

branchburg. he owns one of the big franchises - can't remember which one without looking. doctor tru green fairway chem lawn inc?

Gonna play the other side (someone has to :p) .... go easy on the weed killer and please avoid permethrin as it kills the bees. Pulling weeds is hard work but much gentler on the environment. Bees need certain flowers in the spring to survive (dandelions being one). K done.

I tried trugreen last year and I'm pretty sure they kept avoiding my back yard, the front looked great but the back just kept getting worse. This year I think I'm doing a 180, ditching all the chemicals and just throwing down some clover seeds.

Last minute decision. Was going to refinish parts of the deck Saturday but with the rain in forecast I scrapped those plans and grabbed some seed and straw instead. Filled in some low spots and tore it up a bit first.
IMG_20180414_170125446.jpg
IMG_20180414_181726150.jpgIMG_20180414_182246191.jpg

Hoping for some grass, but will be happy to have anything green instead of just dirt.

Who are you using? Looking to hire someone this year

I tried one of those overseeders from HD last year and I was really hopeful... Hope was not enough. I may go the tiller route but I've got some roots to contend with. The other thing that I am considering is buying a truck load of top-soil to cover it all and start anew but its money and time that I would be wise to put to other use. I like being outside but I am thinking that I would be better off this summer gardening or building a new shed instead.

I tried one of those overseeders from HD last year and I was really hopeful... Hope was not enough. I may go the tiller route but I've got some roots to contend with. The other thing that I am considering is buying a truck load of top-soil to cover it all and start anew but its money and time that I would be wise to put to other use. I like being outside but I am thinking that I would be better off this summer gardening or building a new shed instead.
I had good luck last year, but my soil is decent. When did you overseed and what was your watering pattern?

This is how I roll. One less thing to worry about. If the lawn doesn't look good, I complain, they come put more crap on the lawn.
do you have an irrigation system? I've heard from former TruGreen ChemLawn operators that they just water your lawn when you complain. 80% of lawn issues can be cured by a good soaking and sun.

This is how I roll. One less thing to worry about. If the lawn doesn't look good, I complain, they come put more crap on the lawn.

When I complained that they didn't seem to be doing the backyard they charged me for another application when they came back. I wasn't impressed with them at all.

When I complained that they didn't seem to be doing the backyard they charged me for another application when they came back. I wasn't impressed with them at all.

No issues here - our lawn looked like crap 3 years ago when we started with trugreen. 100% better now.

Back
Top Bottom