2018 HoH Reports (and Di2 troubleshooting) :-)

SCOTTscale

My simple report:

Wake at 530am. Eat.
Pick friend up in Fort Lee at 7am.
Drive to School arrive at 830.
Get dressed.

* Realize my dI2 is completely dead despite charging it about a week ago and never used it since.. bike stored in a warmer than outside basement.

Ride back to car. Post on MTBNJ.

#badluck

:-(

I'm going to try and find a bike shop that's open around here to see if I can get a charge for a little bit. Maybe I can salvage part of this day.

At least I know how to dress in the cold now. The two single speed miles I did to the registration and back to my car was nice and comfortable.

Hope all others had a great time!!!

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
And this is why I’ll keep my cables...

That sucks dude. Maybe someone can hook you up with a loaner?

SCOTTscale

And this is why I’ll keep my cables...

That sucks dude. Maybe someone can hook you up with a loaner?
No shops are open until 11 or later. Sunday in the winter.. probably worst time to need an early morning fix.

If the charger on the junction box wasn't some special connecter I could just charge it but for some reason they decided to use USB to the charger brick thingy and then from the brick thingy it becomes a weird connector. Without the brick thingy I'm screwed.

SCOTTscale

Now I gotta either get this charged or just drive to Lambertville and relax. Now I wish I brought my drone. :-(

I have to wait for my friend to finish up. Could be a while!

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was thinking some good semaritan at the event might have a backup bike you could snag.

And, always bring the drone.

mwlikesbikes

That sucks, did you try to see if anyone could hook you up with a battery or charge?
I missed it because I got called into work today. I may drive down there this afternoon, plead my case so I can get my beer glass & socks. I picked up my number & t shirt last night.

SCOTTscale

That sucks, did you try to see if anyone could hook you up with a battery or charge?
I missed it because I got called into work today. I may drive down there this afternoon, plead my case so I can get my beer glass & socks. I picked up my number & t shirt last night.
Pure Energy is open and energizing my dI2. Lambertville is awesome I might just sit here and relax, honestly. The last time I was down here was when we did The Mutant Ride. I think @grilledcheeseking lead it?

Sorry, I'm just bored lol

rick81721

Lothar
My simple report:

Wake at 530am. Eat.
Pick friend up in Fort Lee at 7am.
Drive to School arrive at 830.
Get dressed.

* Realize my dI2 is completely dead despite charging it about a week ago and never used it since.. bike stored in a warmer than outside basement.

Ride back to car. Post on MTBNJ.

#badluck

:-(

I'm going to try and find a bike shop that's open around here to see if I can get a charge for a little bit. Maybe I can salvage part of this day.

At least I know how to dress in the cold now. The two single speed miles I did to the registration and back to my car was nice and comfortable.

Hope all others had a great time!!!

ps I've never heard of Di2 losing charge like that, mine has been rock solid. You must be losing charge somehow, or maybe the battery is done

SCOTTscale

ps I've never heard of Di2 losing charge like that, mine has been rock solid. You must be losing charge somehow, or maybe the battery is done
Hopefully whatever is wrong it's a warranty job. Bike is less than a year old. I picked it up at the end of April last year.

Karate Monkey

Any shop with the etube diagnostic tool can run a basic check--if something comes up, or they can actually replicate a power drain issue, then Shimano can send over the regional rep with the high-level diagnostic tool to check the component (which can be replaced if it is broken).

SCOTTscale

Any shop with the etube diagnostic tool can run a basic check--if something comes up, or they can actually replicate a power drain issue, then Shimano can send over the regional rep with the high-level diagnostic tool to check the component (which can be replaced if it is broken).
I went to Pure Energy. Great guy in there. But his co-workers left him all by himself to go ride lol. He had a bunch of bikes lined up to work on so I couldn't really have him spend too much time with me. He let me use the charger so I'm thankful for that... I'm gonna bring it to where I bought it on Tuesday and let them deal with it.

Just a blow for my first ride of the year. Starting to wonder if the god is telling me to find another sport. Maybe I'll go to Costa Rica and become a PADI instructer. Least it's warm there. Haha

szymon

Did you by any chance lean the bike against something that was just touching the shifter? I've heard di2 discharging if the shifter is pressed a little on a long drive in the car.

SCOTTscale

Did you by any chance lean the bike against something that was just touching the shifter? I've heard di2 discharging if the shifter is pressed a little on a long drive in the car.
The bikes were kinda tight on the rack but not hitting the shifters...

This also happened when the bike was sitting on my trainer in the basement also. I figured it was a like since it sat there for months without use.. but then when it went dead after a week and a half without use... I think there could be a problem.. not sure.

Robin

I went to Pure Energy. Great guy in there. But his co-workers left him all by himself to go ride lol. He had a bunch of bikes lined up to work on so I couldn't really have him spend too much time with me. He let me use the charger so I'm thankful for that... I'm gonna bring it to where I bought it on Tuesday and let them deal with it.

Just a blow for my first ride of the year. Starting to wonder if the god is telling me to find another sport. Maybe I'll go to Costa Rica and become a PADI instructer. Least it's warm there. Haha

Bummer about HoH. I was on the ride with Pure Energy peeps. I know you were in good hands. Hopefully you were able to enjoy the rest of the day

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
dI2 is completely dead despite charging it about a week ago and never used it since.
Bummer, sorry to hear.

I always like to take my bike out the day before an event (race/ride I paid for), to make certain my bike and myself are in good working order. Always allow yourself enough time to come up with a plan B.

Also, it's not a good idea to introduce anything new before an event. We all think that when we buy something new it should work awesome and it usually does, after we work out the bugs.

Don't think you're the only person this stuff has happened too, it happens to all of us. Now you know for next time;)

SCOTTscale

I got the bike last April. It worked fine all this time except back in like December when it was dead sitting on the trainer when I went to use it. I thought it was a fluke. Then today.. lol guess not.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Ha! i am alive - let's see if i'm still here tomorrow morning!

Apparently i rode most of the course with @goodvibe - and he realized it was me in the last 5 miles....
saw @wonderturtle, @WJF, @jackx, @Funk Freshington, a bunch of the WW club. Thank you to @jdog for doing support.
Halters, Hilltop, Guy's, Sourland Cycles, and whomever else i missed.

@SCOTTscale, we'll get some as the weather comes around

Last edited:
Top Bottom