2018 H2H Bulldog Rump (Kittatinny)

bozizle

Bulldog did a great job! The endurance race started out in pouring rain. And thank you Sean for cheering me on by calling me a giant stick bug...so accurate and funny I laughed for the next 2 miles

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Did anyone else get stung? At the very end of the first lap of the fat race right before scoring I got nailed in the ankle.
Funny you say that. I felt a sharp sting to my left shin around there too and just swiped my hand over the area and kept pedaling. Didn't notice any swelling or anything, maybe because there's not much muscle in the shin area.

-YETI-

Bulldog did a great job! The endurance race started out in pouring rain. And thank you Sean for cheering me on by calling me a giant stick bug...so accurate and funny I laughed for the next 2 miles

That first lap in the Endurance class with all the rain was really tough climbing with the lack of traction. Thankfully it dried up a bit as the race went on.

Sven Migot

Thanks to the Bulldogs for a great race as well! I’m glad the course held up so well after that downpour.

Did anyone else get stung? At the very end of the first lap of the fat race right before scoring I got nailed in the ankle. It’s still swollen this morning. It gave me extra motivation to sprint to the finish the second time around ;)

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!
1531745618521.png

choop

We drove up through 2 pretty heavy downpours on the way to the cat 3 junior race. The boy was getting pretty nervous about the mud and wet rocks. Bets were being placed in the car as we drove and watched radar. Right when we pulled into the light the rain lightened up and all was well. The course held up pretty well considering what we drove through. It was a pretty honest course. Rocks and roots and sections of fun flow. We all raced and had fun. Thanks to Cycle Craft for providing the course and all the volunteers for a great day of racing.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm glad this was able to happen, rains looked threatening but held off and the course was not that bad, just slick rocks.
Thanks Bulldogs.

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I must say that one of the endurance racers needs to chill out and watch how he passes the kids on the course. He does this at all the races. He doesn't call out his passes then flies past the kids almost hitting them.
Have you talked with Brian LaRiviere or Dave Kahl about this? This ain't cool, on a bunch of levels, and needs to be stopped. Crowdsourcing it (ie: naming the rider) prolly isn't the way to go, but having the Powers That Be give him a stern shaking might help. That kind of behavior isn't acceptable, esp. w/kids on the course.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Have you talked with Brian LaRiviere or Dave Kahl about this? This ain't cool, on a bunch of levels, and needs to be stopped. Crowdsourcing it (ie: naming the rider) prolly isn't the way to go, but having the Powers That Be give him a stern shaking might help. That kind of behavior isn't acceptable, esp. w/kids on the course.

We had a similar issue at Stewart. Not sure if it's the same guy but one of the endurance riders got stuck behind JT and Ian and was verbally frustrated that he had to wait for a safe section to pass. Even said "they [the kids] shouldnt be out there". Was happy I was there tailing them because he tried to make a pass in a bad spot anyway but I kept him at bay then had the kids pull off to the side when the trail opened up.

I know it must be tough for the endurance guys having to be on the course at the same time with every cat1/2/3, but that's part of racing at combined events. Dont want anyone, especially one of the junior riders getting hurt.... it's just a bike race.

We did have two other guys behind that realized what was going on and started cheering the boys on instead of berating them for being out there. If those guys are here, that meant a lot to them and thank you!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Yup. I reached out to Tom Sunday night just to clarify something. I’m raising it up the chain.

choop

We had a similar issue at Stewart. Not sure if it's the same guy but one of the endurance riders got stuck behind JT and Ian and was verbally frustrated that he had to wait for a safe section to pass. Even said "they [the kids] shouldnt be out there". Was happy I was there tailing them because he tried to make a pass in a bad spot anyway but I kept him at bay then had the kids pull off to the side when the trail opened up.

I know it must be tough for the endurance guys having to be on the course at the same time with every cat1/2/3, but that's part of racing at combined events. Dont want anyone, especially one of the junior riders getting hurt.... it's just a bike race.

We did have two other guys behind that realized what was going on and started cheering the boys on instead of berating them for being out there. If those guys are here, that meant a lot to them and thank you!

While the Cat 3 junior racers are out on course, I always try and find 3 or 4 spots to get on course to cheer them on and keep a watchful eye to make sure the boy is doing ok. A few of these kids are 8-9 years old and tackling some of these rocky courses is a huge challenge to them. Having people right on their wheel adds a bit more stress. Yapping adults complaining even more. I have only witnessed one man yell at a kid when he wanted to pass and the boy fumbled on a section. He just yelled. He didn't call out that he wanted to pass or what side. Just yelled "Move!". I might have had a few words for him at the time. I just ask for a bit of patience when coming up on the juniors.

With that being said, this is a huge minority of instances. Before, during and after the race the 99.99999% of people are ridiculously awesome and supportive. After every race the boy comes home stoked on the experience of racing and meeting all the adults that give him a minute of their time to talk to him and make him feel like an equal to them with their support. The Cat 3 juniors in return are super excited to cheer for you guys. They made the switchbacks come alive at Mooch!

I am beyond grateful of how awesome everyone is.

moose35

I totally agree. I know it must suck to get caught up behind the kids but they are out there racing too. And to all the racers that encourage the kids as they pass are awesome and it really means a lot to the kids.

With that being said, this is a huge minority of instances. Before, during and after the race the 99.99999% of people are ridiculously awesome and supportive. After every race the boy comes home stoked on the experience of racing and meeting all the adults that give him a minute of their time to talk to him and make him feel like an equal to them with their support. The Cat 3 juniors in return are super excited to cheer for you guys. They made the switchbacks come alive at Mooch!

I am beyond grateful of how awesome everyone is.
I agree with this also. My daughter comes home completely stoked about her race. And she can't wait for the next one. It's like hanging out with a huge family. Mostly everyone is willing to talk to and encourage the younger riders.

LND

I totally agree. I know it must suck to get caught up behind the kids but they are out there racing too. And to all the racers that encourage the kids as they pass are awesome and it really means a lot to the kids.

I agree with this also. My daughter comes home completely stoked about her race. And she can't wait for the next one. It's like hanging out with a huge family. Mostly everyone is willing to talk to and encourage the younger riders.
Hate to hear issues like this, even if it's far from the norm. As long as the overall experience is good for the juniors, and the (hopefully) isolated instances don't mentally impact them negatively, it's good to see the next generation out riding, racing, and mixing it up. Keep your kids' outlook positive, and deal with the jerks on the side. How do you not encourage a kid on a bike in the woods???

DownhillR3

How do you not encourage a kid on a bike in the woods???

Because an opportunity to win a water bottle trumps all while racing.;)

Awesome seeing so many teenagers and young kids around! Great to see the sport evolving with the youth participating more, wish we had that when I was a junior.
Nice seeing some familiar faces out there after a 10 year hiatus. Shocked to hear was only 1 of 2 people in Cat 1 who actually pedaled up the first climb on the opening lap. Offering a free MTB skills clinic for racers, so we can keep the runners at marathons. :)

moose35

I just wanted to say that the race director reached out to me and asked me about the situation. He said he would talk to the racer. I also wanted to say if there is a problem please go to the race director first he was very understanding of the situation and a pleasure to talk to.

Top Bottom