2018-19 Ski /Snow Board Season

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Ok, the 2nd day at Belleayre:
https://mtbnj.wordpress.com/2019/03/22/belleayre-part-2/

Can someone clue me in on the whole waxing-of-skis thing. D says she has never waxed her skis. But holy shit, the greens and easier blues on this day were nothing short of brutal. The skis were like micro-braking, if that makes any sense. I did read a bit about having a different wax for warmer conditions. I also wonder if being 200 pounds compounds this issue when you have these slow snow conditions?

Having said that, today was double black diamond day. No falls on any of them. No falls on the day.

Sadly this weather is now not only shitting on the bike season, but the ski season as well. Camelback plans are bagged for tonight.

@roc - I appreciate the encouragement, and honestly look forward to you chiming in on these because you seem to get so stoked on the ski season. My boss is putting in his notice today, so the chances of me being able to blow off work and head north are pretty much slim & none. Maybe I'll take bereavement leave to go ski next week. F work. F rain.

yes - they need to be waxed and sharpened. there is a do-it-yourself wipe on wax, and the traditional melt-it, then scrape.
Also, any large gouges can be filled by a pro - usually happens during the beginning and end of the season when rocks
are exposed (or only slightly covered) - i always felt some of the wipe on waxes didn't last more than half a day, but i didn't really
experiment, easier to drop them at the shop...

if you arrive at a resort the night before skiing, drop them off at a shop for a tune-up. pick them up in the morning, and off ya go.

also, like bikes, it is time for new skis, and boots.... and carbon fiber poles. the aluminum ones are too harsh.

roc

Jay peak is 100% open and they got 6" last night. Crazy. Trying to talk some freinds into heading up for one more trip, couldn't get any takers. Oh well. What a year

roc

Am I correct that Tremblant was also bought up by Ikon? We go up every year because D's parents live ~5 miles or so from there. I am not sure it would be justified but this is something I want to have my radar for future reference.
Last day to get the best rate for the Ikon pass. Checkout the website ikonpass.com looks like trembllant has no blackouts with unlimited skiing.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Last day to get the best rate for the Ikon pass. Checkout the website ikonpass.com looks like trembllant has no blackouts with unlimited skiing.

It does. And I gave my best sales pitch. But in the end it was rejected by the Appropriations Committee.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Congress!! They never know where the money should be spent!!

It's ok. I'll spend the next 6 months trying to get that new bike rider added onto every bill that is written in the household.

Reactions: roc

roc

It's ok. I'll spend the next 6 months trying to get that new bike rider added onto every bill that is written in the household.
I’ve never thought of that! I need to figure out how to make that happen. Honey I’m earmarking an extra $600 a month for an emergency fund. I should have done this a long time ago.

phillychris498

Yesterday marked closing day for my favorite mountain, Wildcat, and I had to make the trip up to end the season. They had 5-6 routes down the mountain with pretty decent coverage throughout, with some fun shoots of snow surrounded by grass. April 28th is easily the latest day I've ever been on skis, probably by about 3 weeks.

Some personal season stats:

Start: November 10th, 2018
End: April 28th, 2019 (almost 6 months of skiing!)
Days on the hill: 18
New Mountains: 2 (Mad River Glen, Sugarloaf)

And some closing day pictures:

birthday 1.jpgbirthday 2.jpgbirthday 3.jpg

roc

Yesterday marked closing day for my favorite mountain, Wildcat, and I had to make the trip up to end the season. They had 5-6 routes down the mountain with pretty decent coverage throughout, with some fun shoots of snow surrounded by grass. April 28th is easily the latest day I've ever been on skis, probably by about 3 weeks.

Some personal season stats:

Start: November 10th, 2018
End: April 28th, 2019 (almost 6 months of skiing!)
Days on the hill: 18
New Mountains: 2 (Mad River Glen, Sugarloaf)

How did you like sugarloaf. I haven’t skied there since the mid 90’s. Looks like they had a great season

Top Bottom