2018-19 Ski /Snow Board Season

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
I was at Camelback today. The conditions were phenomenal..
Glad (but surprised) to hear this. I was in PA this weekend about 20 mins north of Camelback and at the same elevation. We had 6” of snow followed by 1/2” of icy crust. Perhaps the mountain groomers worked some magic?

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Glad (but surprised) to hear this. I was in PA this weekend about 20 mins north of Camelback and at the same elevation. We had 6” of snow followed by 1/2” of icy crust. Perhaps the mountain groomers worked some magic?

I spoke with a ski patroller briefly and he said Sunday and Monday were the worst 2 days they have had up there this season for sure and probably the worst couple days in several years. I guess the snow makers and groomers hit it pretty hard Monday and Tuesday to get it back in shape. It's too bad it's raining again and going to go back into the teens or single digits after.

roc

What's your plan, want to live vicariously through where you you ride. They had a dump about week ago.
Playing it by ear. I have the ikon pass, renting a house in the cottonwood heights area. Definitely skiing Saturday at deer valley with the family. Maybe solitude Sunday. Alta or snowbird, Monday and Tuesday. My family goes back home on Wednesday am, and a bunch of buddies come out. Definitely skiing solitude on Wednesday and snowbird Thursday, we will have a boarder with us, so Brighton, solitude or snowbird again on Friday. Alta-Saturday. Possibly park city Sunday, and maybe deer valley again on Monday. Then home on the Tuesday am flight. Should be fun.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Playing it by ear. I have the ikon pass, renting a house in the cottonwood heights area. Definitely skiing Saturday at deer valley with the family. Maybe solitude Sunday. Alta or snowbird, Monday and Tuesday. My family goes back home on Wednesday am, and a bunch of buddies come out. Definitely skiing solitude on Wednesday and snowbird Thursday, we will have a boarder with us, so Brighton, solitude or snowbird again on Friday. Alta-Saturday. Possibly park city Sunday, and maybe deer valley again on Monday. Then home on the Tuesday am flight. Should be fun.
All the back face got dumped, park city not as much. So alta blue bird brighten and solitude should be a blast. Great part cottonwood is the jitney stops are everywhere.

roc

All the back face got dumped, park city not as much. So alta blue bird brighten and solitude should be a blast. Great part cottonwood is the jitney stops are everywhere.
Yea, they always get more snow than the park city side, they have lalmost got twice as much this season. My daughter is 11 and my son is 14 so I am thinking deer valley will be the least crowded on Saturday. Plus even though the other side gets more snow, deer valley will have plenty and there are quite a few little stashes there that are a 2 minute effort that never get touched. Looks like snow sat and Sunday. Hoping for a big dump!!?

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
cant wait until my son gets old enough that I can start taking him on Utah ski trips.

I went to deer valley a couple of years ago, im shocked at how much more "fun" the terrain is now then when I lived there. That said, if im paying for the tickets, there are other places in Utah I would go first.

roc

cant wait until my son gets old enough that I can start taking him on Utah ski trips.

I went to deer valley a couple of years ago, im shocked at how much more "fun" the terrain is now then when I lived there. That said, if im paying for the tickets, there are other places in Utah I would go first.
It’s a steep ticket, no doubt, but I have that Ikon pass, so it’s a no brainer. Also I’m hitting every other mountain, so I’m pumped.
For wherever reason, deer valley has a rep of being of being easy, or not steep, I’ve been going to Utah since the 90’s, it’s got gnarly terrain, if that’s what you’re into. It doesn’t get much steeper than the Daly chutes. I’m not really into big time steeps, I just like soft snow, and obviously , I love powder. I’m leaving tonight, it looks like I could be getting dumped on for the next 5 days, woohoo!!!!

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
For wherever reason, deer valley has a rep of being of being easy, or not steep, I’ve been going to Utah since the 90’s, it’s got gnarly terrain, if that’s what you’re into. It doesn’t get much steeper than the Daly chutes
yes, when I lived in utah, this stuff wasnt open yet....it just gives deer valley a totally different feel....much more to my liking

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep

That was my sole reason for starting my son at 3 1/2 years old. The problem was that after I exposed him to skiing out West, he became like my wife. Neither of them have any interest in waking up early and doing a day trip anymore. They just want to ski out West from a slopeside condo so it's convenient (and not icy).

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That was my sole reason for starting my son at 3 1/2 years old. The problem was that after I exposed him to skiing out West, he became like my wife. Neither of them have any interest in waking up early and doing a day trip anymore. They just want to ski out West from a slopeside condo so it's convenient (and not icy).
ya, this is to be expected....after 7 years of living in park city...nothing much around here outside of Smuggs and Jay gets me excited. And Utah is closer to NJ than Jay is so thats hard to justify :)

roc

If you like jay and smuggs, you’ll probably like Stowe and sugarbush. I haven’t been to smuggs in 25 years, but the terrain was great. Only problem with that place is the old slow doubles and triples. It’s not bad on a weekday, but I remember waiting in 15+ min lift lines that weekend, when I was there. They still have the same lifts.

phillychris498

So I have a season pass to Wildcat, but the forecast today was for 50 mph winds with the non-wind chill temps around -5 at start. Instead of attempting to bundle up appropriately for that, I did a day trip from Boston to Mad River Glen (a short 3 and a half hour drive).

I was on the road driving by 4:50 this morning to get there, coffee and breakfast sandwich already digested for first chair. I gotta say, only one day of Mad River and it’s in the top 5 of my favorite mountains already. The terrain off of the single chair is gnarly, and there was a view of Whiteface to the west and Mount Washington to the east before starting every run. Every black diamond trail has options to shoot into the woods, which was the go-to for powder shots after heavy winds yesterday night died down today. I skied straight from 9-3:30 and it felt like it was only noon when I finished because it was just too good.

(only one picture taken from the parking lot, as phone usage during skiing takes away from skiing time):0A43DF68-74B9-4400-AF37-1E96BDD5B97B.jpeg

qclabrat

Same for mine, unfortunately when they rathered do lunch with friends at the mall, we lost them for good. Was just me and MrsQ at Creek today. South lift was down all day so getting over to Vernon was a pain

roc

So I have a season pass to Wildcat, but the forecast today was for 50 mph winds with the non-wind chill temps around -5 at start. Instead of attempting to bundle up appropriately for that, I did a day trip from Boston to Mad River Glen (a short 3 and a half hour drive).

I was on the road driving by 4:50 this morning to get there, coffee and breakfast sandwich already digested for first chair. I gotta say, only one day of Mad River and it’s in the top 5 of my favorite mountains already. The terrain off of the single chair is gnarly, and there was a view of Whiteface to the west and Mount Washington to the east before starting every run. Every black diamond trail has options to shoot into the woods, which was the go-to for powder shots after heavy winds yesterday night died down today. I skied straight from 9-3:30 and it felt like it was only noon when I finished because it was just too good.

(only one picture taken from the parking lot, as phone usage during skiing takes away from skiing time):View attachment 86907
I love the terrain at Mad river when the coverage is good, but that single chair on a weekend can mean some of the longest lifelines I've waited on in years. But mo doubt about it, fantastic terrain. Seems to really hold snow better than most mountain, maybe because of that single chair?

phillychris498

I love the terrain at Mad river when the coverage is good, but that single chair on a weekend can mean some of the longest lifelines I've waited on in years. But mo doubt about it, fantastic terrain. Seems to really hold snow better than most mountain, maybe because of that single chair?
The coverage on Friday was awesome. There was also a severe lack of skiers out on the hill, with temperatures below 0 for a good portion of the morning, so I was skiing right onto the single chair the entire day. I can't imagine that chair takes crowds very well though... I'd steer towards Sugarbush on a Saturday rather than Mad River.

Top Bottom