2018-19 Ski /Snow Board Season

roc

Unbelievable trip. Startied out with a decent day at deer valley with family. Great groomers, really soft I groomed. Even some fresh in some of the trees. Then it stormed 60” over the 3 days and my 11 old daughter and 14 yr old son, were ripping it up. Then my family left and a few buddies came out and we got another 30-50 from Wednesday thru Sunday. Finished up with a bluebird day at deer valley with 15” of fresh. Skied totally fresh tracks at 3:30pm.

Attachments

• 13668E61-5E0E-4D47-ADF5-66EF899D982A.jpeg
    13668E61-5E0E-4D47-ADF5-66EF899D982A.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 4A5A0625-D621-431F-B7E6-3FE26134E5B8.jpeg
    4A5A0625-D621-431F-B7E6-3FE26134E5B8.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 21

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I guess this is where I could put this post, might be some traction here:
https://mtbnj.wordpress.com/2019/02/02/gore-day-2-skiing-the-mountain/

This was a few weekends ago, we went to Gore for the weekend. Only skied the one day but the conditions were really good. I have only gone skiing 10 times in my life, this was the one that got me into double digits. Other posts about the trip but have nothing to do with skiing.

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
We are heading up to gore this weekend with car load of teens, wish us luck. Paging @graveyardman67 lettuce know if you'll be up.
Well. This weekend is in flux. Wife had 2 fighters in AC this weekend. One fight fell apart. 2nd fight is in the balance. Supposed to be 125 but opponent saying he can only make 132.

12” of fresh today and another 2-4 on Friday. Shit maybe I should go with the kid

roc

Well. This weekend is in flux. Wife had 2 fighters in AC this weekend. One fight fell apart. 2nd fight is in the balance. Supposed to be 125 but opponent saying he can only make 132.

12” of fresh today and another 2-4 on Friday. Shit maybe I should go with the kid
You should go. Powder!

Zaskar

I have only gone skiing 10 times in my life, this was the one that got me into double digits.

Did you start as a kid or adult? I have a bunch of friends that don't ski but their kids are starting and they feel like that the ship has sailed for them.

Zaskar

You should go. Powder!

It's a good thing. Heard that the base was frozen solid and inbound woods have been closed. There was a report of an inbounds slide at Stowe this morning in the woods. I guess the surfaces haven't bonded yet.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Did you start as a kid or adult? I have a bunch of friends that don't ski but their kids are starting and they feel like that the ship has sailed for them.

Feb 10, 2014. I guess I was 42 then. Before this winter I had gone 6 times. Over Xmas up in Tremblant, we skied 3 times, and hit a bunch of black diamond trails those days.

Now mind you, I didn't ski them especially well. But I can get down in 1 piece and maybe crashed 2-3 times in total.

Ship definitely has not sailed for your friends.

roc

Feb 10, 2014. I guess I was 42 then. Before this winter I had gone 6 times. Over Xmas up in Tremblant, we skied 3 times, and hit a bunch of black diamond trails those days.

Now mind you, I didn't ski them especially well. But I can get down in 1 piece and maybe crashed 2-3 times in total.

Ship definitely has not sailed for your friends.
Skiing is kind of like mountain biking, you’re going to fall some as you progress, but most times, it’s hurts a lot less skiing when you crash. If your friends were able to start riding mountain bikes a little later in life, then skiing won’t be as scary. You can really hurt yourself doing either. In skiing as in mountain biking sometimes speed is your friend, but it’s harder to get over that hump, the later you start. Also, you could probably mountain bike 6 mile or Lewis morris and never really have a fall, maybe just kind of a lean over, if you don’t have the legs to get up a hill. In skiing, especially as a beginner, you are going to fall, you could fall, just getting your skies on. Plus, in skiing, for the most part, you are always going to have other people skiing near you, around you, faster than you, it could definitely freak some people out.
I think the best thing any adult would like to learn to ski, is, take a 3 day midweek group lesson anywhere, if your not a total klutz or whimp, you’ll be skiing blues with confidence and possibly blacks. As long as it’s not icy. Don’t try to learn when it’s icy, skiing sucks when it’s icy, unless your one of those insane World Cup racers,

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Just got back from 3 days in Stratton, VT - Wed-Fri and bailed before the holiday weekend hit. It snowed almost the whole time we were there and conditions were great. Nothing like west coast deep, but still very nice. Might be the only time i get out this winter but we'll see.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Spent the weekend at Pico with my wife, @Norm @Dominique.... Ran into @pxs231 on the lift. I give @Norm credit, learning to ski when your over 40 is not easy...and all weekend he has to deal with @Dominique telling him to do things that we have been doing since like age 5 and now do without thinking. But he handled the vermont ice sheets like a champ.

Conditions were fair to good I would say...ice was minimal, but the snow was mostly concrete. Not bad, not great. Pico wasn't too crowded, might have had to wait in a lift line once for 5 minutes.

20190216_143349.jpg20190216_143739.jpg20190216_134102.jpg20190216_144104.jpg

Last edited:

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Spent the weekend at Pico with my wife, @Norm @Dominique.... Ran into @pxs231 on the lift. I give @Norm credit, learning to ski when your over 40 is not easy...and all weekend he has to deal with @Dominique telling him to do things that we have been doing since like age 5 and no do without thinking. But he handled the vermont ice sheets like a champ.

Conditions were fair to good I would say...ice was minimal, but the snow was mostly concrete. Not bad, not great. Pico wasn't too crowded, might have had to wait in a lift line once for 5 minutes.

View attachment 88055View attachment 88056View attachment 88057View attachment 88058
That's surprising to hear about the conditions Because Gore had really good conditions. I know P took some pics which i didn't, too busy grinning. But was lucky to get some really great runs. New boots turned extremely pain by 2 30 which ended my day. Teens and P stayed out for a few more runs. Probably dropping kids off tomorrow and go snowshoeing with P.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That's surprising to hear about the conditions Because Gore had really good conditions. I know P took some pics which i didn't, too busy grinning. But was lucky to get some really great runs. New boots turned extremely pain by 2 30 which ended my day. Teens and P stayed out for a few more runs. Probably dropping kids off tomorrow and go snowshoeing with P.
Im in new boot hell myself. Had to finally get some last year after 19 seasons with my old pair. I can ski better than ever with them, however on 20 degree days, my feet are either blocks of ice or numb. Been back 4 times with them to be fitted, but they still arent sorted out yet. Might have to spring for boot heaters.

Conditions seemed pretty typical east cost...layer of ice, covered loosely with a layer of man made snow, chop up, repeat. Up top was good, the lower you got, the harder the snow was. The runs/glades with natural snow were granite hard with the exception of the Poma woods.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I thought the conditions were close to as good as you get on the East Coast for the most part. I mean we have done some days - and 100% remember that I am a f'ing newbie here - where you feel like you are skiing a glacier. This definitely was not that bad. Overall there was very little raw-exposed ice. I know 1 of the times at Camelback it was more like a hockey rink than a ski slope.

Gore 2 weeks ago had a tad more soft snow. If I had to guess, there are more groomers at Gore and they chop it up a little better on a day-to-day basis. But what do I know?

roc

Gore 2 weeks ago had a tad more soft snow. If I had to guess, there are more groomers at Gore and they chop it up a little better on a day-to-day basis. But what do I know?[/QUOTE]
Believe or not, gore doesn’t do that great of a job with their groomers, you probably just went when the conditions were right. That’s really the key to north east skiing, going after they’ve had some fresh snow. If the glades are open at gore, you’re going to have really good conditions. I’ve only been to camelback once, glacial is fitting. Seems like you’re getting into it, you should hit up Vermont again late March, that when the snow gets the softest, the sun is still shining hours after the lift close and there are really good deals to be had. You could even ski killington and then ride pine hill park in the same day, fun stuff.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
The stuff the groomer creates will all be pushed to the sides assuming it stays frozen. If comfortable in the border 8' of trail, there is usually something similar to snow to push around.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Believe or not, gore doesn’t do that great of a job with their groomers, you probably just went when the conditions were right. That’s really the key to north east skiing, going after they’ve had some fresh snow. If the glades are open at gore, you’re going to have really good conditions. I’ve only been to camelback once, glacial is fitting. Seems like you’re getting into it, you should hit up Vermont again late March, that when the snow gets the softest, the sun is still shining hours after the lift close and there are really good deals to be had. You could even ski killington and then ride pine hill park in the same day, fun stuff.

@roc - so the reason I make mention of the groomers is that there is 1 blue run from the top peak at Pico. The others are black. At the end of Saturday, the snow making got to the point that there was huge blobs everywhere, which were on a steeper slope. This was apparent in 2 spots. I figure that they will flatten this with the groomers overnight.

We hit this early Sunday, like 9:30 am, and they are all still there. Now mind you, guys like you & @Dominique & @UtahJoe think these are easy & great, but this is the equivalent of putting huge, half-car size rock faces in a mountain bike trail. Experienced riders love them, and think they are easy & super-predictable. People like me, not so much. Also, judging by the total mass carnage of people laying on them and ginger-footing their way down, this blue was far harder than any other blue in the park. Actually, this section of Forty Niner was orbitals of difficulty harder than the rest of the blue runs on the mountain. We had hit Upper Ka (black diamond) before this and it was just pretty much ice, and I found that easier.

Anyway, I am not sure if this is intentional, because maybe the advanced beginners should stay off this? But it made me think that they don't have enough groomers if they left this as moon-rocks of snow Sunday morning.

I love the Killington idea but I am not sure we have anymore free March weekends. Actually I just looked at our calendar and we have no more free weekends without the kids in March or April. The only chance would be if Short Track #3 were canceled. This realization makes me a bit sad, I have to admit.

roc

I love the Killington idea but I am not sure we have anymore free March weekends. Actually I just looked at our calendar and we have no more free weekends without the kids in March or April. The only chance would be if Short Track #3 were canceled. This realization makes me a bit sad, I have to admit.[/QUOTE]
Do yourself a favor, schedule a midweek trip for next year, later in the season. I always try to keep some dates open, just in case they get snow. But, be careful, if you catch a really good powder day, your skiing budget, just might get bigger than your biking budget. It can be costly to chase powder from NJ!

Top Bottom