2017 World Champs - LIVE!

Ian F

After some last minute negotiating, this will be on RedBullTV after all. Originally, the BBC bought the rights, but then it became known if you were outside of the regular BBC broadcast area, you were screwed. However, because of the last-minute decision, it's not known who will be presenting (and there is no Claudio preview - he posted on FB he wasn't scheduled to be in Cairnes and is in China this weekend building pump tracks)

Sat night (9/9) and 10:55 PM for the women. 11:55 PM for the men.

ilnadi

The Olympic channel on xfinity (822 on my box) is showing it
Women's XC 12 today
Men's XC 5 today
More 3-6:30 tomorrow (DH?)

oobaa47

Was channel surfing and came across the world champs. On Optimum, some channel I didn't even know I had, OLYHD (channel 225) has both the DH and XC world champs on it. DH world champs is on at 3pm tomorrow and xc on sunday into monday morning at 1am.

RobW

Watching the men's DH now on Red Bull tv.. shortened runs, and Claudio is commentating but you can tell they aren't live.

w_b

If you Optimumers missed the DH it's on again; today (Sun) 3:00-6:30pm as previously posted, tom'w (Mon) 1:00- 4:30pm, and Fri 10:00-1:30 pm. For me it's OLYHD , Ch225

Ian F

Watching the men's DH now on Red Bull tv.. shortened runs, and Claudio is commentating but you can tell they aren't live.

Not sure Rob and Claudio were actually on-site, but they also don't really need to be. The whole thing was a bit last-minute, so I give them some slack. I'm just glad RedBull got something together at all since I don't have cable to watch other broadcasts. Staying up until 2:30AM to watch it all was rough. Especially since I needed to get up early on Sunday.

It was pretty much the same as their World Cup broadcasting. The first part of a rider's run is taped, then they pick them up live farther down the track. Since there can be 4 riders on track at the same time, having it purely live wouldn't work, so they do what they can. It was kinda odd listening to the live on-site announcer talking about a rider on course viewers hadn't seen go off as we watched a previous rider finish. Just the nature of the beast. This is one reason why the cameras tend to be on the lower section of the course (actually live) and only a few sections farther up (taped, and then sequenced after the previous rider finishes).

Maybe in the future, we can have a 3 or 4-screen split that shows all riders who are on course at once totally live. The technology is there. Just need enough folks willing to pay to see it.

It sounds like there may be changes to the broadcast for 2018. Warner hinted at the end, but either couldn't say or it hasn't been finalized yet. I think what happened with this race might have been a hint to the UCI that dropping RedBull for a more lucrative broadcaster may be more difficult than they hoped.

I think Wyn Masters/Pinkbike missed an opportunity to step-in and do a course preview video since Claudio wasn't there.

Last edited:

Ian F

That was a tough race to watch. So many guys I wanted to win, but only one can. I hadn't picked Bruni for the win, but since he won the last race there, I suppose it's not surprising. Props to Gwin for getting bronze on a track that is arguably not suited to his riding style. Minaar posted about his flat - broken spoke that punctured the rim tape - freak failure...

Gutted for Tracy. I'm sure she will watch the replay and yell at herself to get up faster... if only she knew how close she was even with the crash. Miller was obviously in shock about the whole thing. It'll be interesting to see if wearing the rainbow stripes translates into better results in 2018.

Funny how the Specialized Gravity Team "should" have had a hat-trick of winners, except the one racer who was expected to win - Finn - also crashed out of contention.

While often commented about not being the most technically demanding course, it definitely bit a bunch of riders hard.

With the broken collarbone, I would not be surprised if 2018 turns out to be Rachel Atherton's final season, although I doubt she will say anything until the final races. She has often mentioned in videos how the injuries are starting to wear on her.

Last edited:
Top Bottom