Thursday Nights at Chimney Rock

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@jShort is still racing and did the hardest racing he's ever done this year with the 4 hr races... Correct me if I'm wrong Jeremy

You’re right. But I’m not sure I’ll keep doing the long races. They whooped me. I’ll probably go back to Cat 1 racing next year. I may even dabble in a little CX this year if my weekends permit.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
This is a very difficult concept for someone people to understand 😉. Peoples lives change whether it’s day to day, week to week, or year to year. Wednesday night worlds or Thursday night hammer rides no longer become the priority. Just because the ride dies doesn’t mean that everyone got slow or lost interest. Comparing it to every other weekly coordinated ride only creates more misery…🙄

Clearly the attachment to the thought of this ride is causing suffering. Respect the time for what it once was and let it go.
Are you doing your best @pooriggy impersonation? 🤔

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
With all of what’s been said, I disagree with rides needing to end. Better advertising maybe but why do Harrisonburg and Durango have the strongest mtb cultures around? Because they push each other day in and day out. Consistent rides that happen week in and week out despite different riders showing up. If you have a good base of leaders there is no reason a ride can’t continue. Obviously TPT is dead but that just means there wasn’t a strong mtb base group to do it week in and week out. The walkersville Tuesday Night Worlds near me has happened for 25 years. The Beachwood Bikes rides for 14 years. I think that part of Jersey doesn’t have that interest in getting faster on the ZC level any more.
Maybe it’s covid and the work from hime jobs like @jShort mentioned. Maybe gravel racing did it in. Even the CX scene in Nj isn’t like what it is in New England…maybe NJers work too much? Who knows…

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I did lol… KOM chasing is for retired pros and people who can’t race others… according to the scientific evidence 😂
Funny... As I was riding my last climb up the toll road during the ews I was thinking about DTs Kom thread and laughing to myself about the sillyness of wordle with bikes...aka strava

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
With all of what’s been said, I disagree with rides needing to end. Better advertising maybe but why do Harrisonburg and Durango have the strongest mtb cultures around? Because they push each other day in and day out. Consistent rides that happen week in and week out despite different riders showing up. If you have a good base of leaders there is no reason a ride can’t continue. Obviously TPT is dead but that just means there wasn’t a strong mtb base group to do it week in and week out. The walkersville Tuesday Night Worlds near me has happened for 25 years. The Beachwood Bikes rides for 14 years. I think that part of Jersey doesn’t have that interest in getting faster on the ZC level any more.
Maybe it’s covid and the work from hime jobs like @jShort mentioned. Maybe gravel racing did it in. Even the CX scene in Nj isn’t like what it is in New England…maybe NJers work too much? Who knows…
the only rides that survive are either the social ones that regroup....or road hammerfests bc you can hide on the road and keep up with the stronger people......mtb hammer fests get broken down to 5 people or less after 5minutes if everyone is actually hammering.....then were like...Fuck, where did DT go? 😆

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Harrisonburg and Durango

Don’t forget Park City and Sedona. And I think it had to do with so many pros migrating to these areas for the excellent training terrain.
They’re great places to train because of the long consistent climbing. You can hold x level of effort for as long as your plan tells you to. This is a huge advantage to anywhere in NJ or our region where your elevation is up and then down non stop. There’s no 45 minute climbs with a consistent 5% grade in NJ.

Also, living in high county and training with altitude is a huge advantage. There’s nothing worse than training at sea level for a race that’s a mile high. I was super surprised when I heard pros at the UCI cup in snowshoe talk about how the elevation had a definite impact on their performance. I actually felt a little better about my shit performances there. I didn’t think 4500ish feet would make a big difference but apparently it does.

These are probably just one of many reason those areas produce so many great athletes.

Anybody with legit potential to be a force in pro cycling is moving out of NJ as soon as it becomes a realistic possibility.

Now WTF does this have to do with our little Thursday night rides?

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Anybody with legit potential to be a force in pro cycling is moving out of NJ as soon as it becomes a realistic possibility.
Wait, didn't DT move out of NJ?
0ee.jpg

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Don’t forget Park City and Sedona. And I think it had to do with so many pros migrating to these areas for the excellent training terrain.
They’re great places to train because of the long consistent climbing. You can hold x level of effort for as long as your plan tells you to. This is a huge advantage to anywhere in NJ or our region where your elevation is up and then down non stop. There’s no 45 minute climbs with a consistent 5% grade in NJ.

Also, living in high county and training with altitude is a huge advantage. There’s nothing worse than training at sea level for a race that’s a mile high. I was super surprised when I heard pros at the UCI cup in snowshoe talk about how the elevation had a definite impact on their performance. I actually felt a little better about my shit performances there. I didn’t think 4500ish feet would make a big difference but apparently it does.

These are probably just one of many reason those areas produce so many great athletes.

Now WTF does this have to do with our little Thursday night rides
I assume that Dave is coming back to New Jersey at some point in the future and he wants to do a Thursday ride. That is probably the sole driver of this entire thread being resurrected.
Not any time soon. And unless we had the old group together I’d probably rather ride Ringwood. Ya’ll are welcome to come hang at my place before marathon nationals this year. I live 5 miles away from the start.

Last edited:
Top Bottom