2017 Stewart 45 Registration

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've only done two and no route was needed on my garmin. Mohican and Wilderness were bith great with only one questionable turn on the road at Mohican(it was marked on the pavement but the sign "disappeared"). MTBNJ does a phenomenal job. I am not comparing them to an NUE either, just sayi g the hours put into these events is a lot!

At 200 bucks for reg....sheeee-it.... We could hire people to mark and be course marshals

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
At 200 bucks for reg....sheeee-it.... We could hire people to mark and be course marshals
This was pure curiosity. Not comparing to your event. Just imagining all the work that goes in longer events. Mohican for example had tons of marked single track even through back yards and lots of weedwhacking.

Joe J

Thats in part why they are $200 some events do have paid staff, it's also common for them to make donations to local organizations in & out of the cycling community that supply helpers. The issue is that when you look at an event like Mohican with 700 riders @ $180 they have a much larger budget to work with. The majority of our local promoters/courses are as good if not better and struggle to get 200 riders.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've only done two and no route was needed on my garmin. Mohican and Wilderness were bith great with only one questionable turn on the road at Mohican(it was marked on the pavement but the sign "disappeared"). MTBNJ does a phenomenal job. I am not comparing them to an NUE either, just sayi g the hours put into these events is a lot!
That task has to be absolutely daunting. I mean for example, we have been doing races at stewart since 2011...so 7 races we have done there now. Of 7 races, we have used 2 different courses. Since stewart isnt our "'local" park...except for maybe @1sh0t1b33r ...Most of us on the team dont know the place like we would know our home base. I mean @Norm and I do, now...But it took some time. What that means is though we are the people on point setting the initial arrows, then everyone follows with more arrows/tape, etc.... Like if I gave @pooriggy the race loop map and asked him to mark it, you would all be racing at blue mountain instead. So that means Norm and I ride the entire course to mark it...Which isnt a big deal with 15 miles. With a 101, I imagine you must have multiple groups of people who all MUST know the course, intersections, etc. Cant be a fun job.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
That task has to be absolutely daunting. I mean for example, we have been doing races at stewart since 2011...so 7 races we have done there now. Of 7 races, we have used 2 different courses. Since stewart isnt our "'local" park...except for maybe @1sh0t1b33r ...Most of us on the team dont know the place like we would know our home base. I mean @Norm and I do, now...But it took some time. What that means is though we are the people on point setting the initial arrows, then everyone follows with more arrows/tape, etc.... Like if I gave @pooriggy the race loop map and asked him to mark it, you would all be racing at blue mountain instead. So that means Norm and I ride the entire course to mark it...Which isnt a big deal with 15 miles. With a 101, I imagine you must have multiple groups of people who all MUST know the course, intersections, etc. Cant be a fun job.
All the hard work is appreciated. Thanks again for al the awesome races you guys do.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Probably the most fun part of the set - up they do most of it on a Dual Sport:):):)

In most other states they allow motos on the trail for these events. Either that or nobody GAF. Around here, it is a wonder that they let the quad in to cart Utah's sorry ass off during SSaP. Oh wait, that was New York. If it had been NJ there would have been a police officer at the trailhead waiting to ticket the EMT driver.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Like if I gave @pooriggy the race loop map and asked him to mark it, you would all be racing at blue mountain instead.
After 7 yrs. I know Ridge rd., New rd and how to get to the aids station, which I consider impressive.
Damn it has been 7 yrs? I was using my memory of award making to count the races but I forgot that Woody and Oishi did awards for some races.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
After 7 yrs. I know Ridge rd., New rd and how to get to the aids station, which I consider impressive.
Damn it has been 7 yrs? I was using my memory of award making to count the races but I forgot that Woody and Oishi did awards for some races.

It has been 7 years...damn, even I did not realize that. Attendance by the year:

2011: 210
2012: 253
2013: 267
2014: 231
2015: 251 (changed to the Stewart 45)
2016: 250
2017: 190

2011 we were a first year venture so I get why people did not show up. Now 7 years later we are at the lowest total ever. I do not think we forgot how to promote races. I think something fundamental is changing in the sport and I am not sure what that is.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
It has been 7 years...damn, even I did not realize that. Attendance by the year:

2011 we were a first year venture so I get why people did not show up. Now 7 years later we are at the lowest total ever. I do not think we forgot how to promote races. I think something fundamental is changing in the sport and I am not sure what that is.

is it a stand-alone race? or part of an endurance series?

Coming off the "seasons" in the prior week (ie h2h) might mean it is time to catch up on housework?

do you have age information dating back to 2010?
what about repeat participants?

a little data analysis on this might reveal where the loss in participation is centered?
one time and done (ie tough mudder type) or not getting enough "new" participants.

anyway - i know there is a statistician on the team......

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think it's like a tv show, you watch, you like, it gets old, you move on.
-American Idol
-Survivor
-I dream of Jeannie...

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Maybe its me, but this needs the governor sitting in the grass to the left.....

IMG_7029.JPG

LND

From a rider (consumer) perspective: there's probably an inverse relationship between repeating/established events and the need to spend superlative efforts in promotion. First year/inaugural events - need to get the word out. If the venue is good, repeats the same time each season, and word of mouth gets out to the community, racers start incorporating it into an annual plan, and look for registration to open on places like BikeReg, although late reg. seems to be the norm in recent years, unless people see that capped events are approaching their limit. In this sense, repetition is good, where people keep coming back for the same "product", if you will.

Looking into metrics on repeat participants is an interesting point. Thought I saw a lot of kits from LI based teams this year that I don't recall seeing the prior 2 years the race has been the 45 mile format (although I could be mistaken on this). From a "local" racer standpoint, I don't see where an event like the 45 involves travel/cost/logistics to make this a bucket list or "one and done" type of thing.

Would be interested to hear opinions on overall attendance trends at H2H events throughout the season. Early spring March/April where weather can still be iffy, 18" snowfall the week prior, and it appears there's a lot of interest. By the time July comes around, field sizes decline, and it seems there's less and less buzz and chatter pre/post race on message boards. Did anyone do the last H2H in Port Jervis? Near zero banter, and no dedicated thread topics. Total burnout by mid-July?

Some local/regional events wax, wane, and die off, while others continue, without any significant change in venue or promotion. No clue what the magic combo is.

American Idol, Survior, etc. may get too formulaic to keep interest (are these still on TV?) and I would doubt these are at all interesting in reruns. Jeannie, Seinfeld, etc. are classics. Even if you haven't seen them in a while, you may actually sit and stare a while surfing thorough cable.

steve336

Strava,,
Really looking at the numbers they were only down this year . I wouldn't say that's a downward trend ,just an off year

pxs231

Anything to do with the economy? I know personally I am far busier than I was say 2 years ago and when the weekend comes, I'm usually either exhausted, still doing work or trying to catch up with home life. Can't afford to blow a whole weekend day racing, but sneak in a two hour ride at a local park.

Top Bottom