2017 Hillier Than Thou: New Jersey's Toughest Century 9/24/2017

I'm in, been practicing riding in the hills by taking a previous year's route and doing about 75 miles of it each time. Highly recommend this ride for anyone that likes to be challenged but at the same time enjoy some of western NJ scenic routes.

Looks like you have been putting in a lot of time in the hill prepping.

i've been cranking down the little red knob.....def could have done more, but that is always the case. as usual, just looking to finish, uninjured!

Reactions: rlb
Have fun out there tomorrow. Took this at the top of Hollow Brook Rd this morning, looks like only the 100 route hits this climb. Watch the descent down Cold Springs Rd (just after mile 75) there are a lot of blind curves.

Last edited:
I love this ride but was pretty disappointed in the prep. They did mark everything out friday but it needed to be double checked last night or early AM. I know the route so no big deal but so many people missed turns because of missing or knocked down signs. I wouldn't say much but we pay good money for this ride. Also, no protein at the aid stations? No coke? No endurolytes or PBJ? It was 90+ degrees on a 100 mile ride with 13 k climbing! Also, no lead out vehicle, rather 3 Bulldog member lead outs and they miss the first turn so we add on an extra 3 miles and 500' climbing. Not even a real drink at the food pavillion after, only water. I'd pay an extra $20 for that.

Followed the 2016 HTT route on my Garmin, that seems to have worked well but I did see several times others not sure which way to go. I think I was the only one on a MTB, at least did not spot anyone else and it was HOT!!! Cramps like I have not had in a long time. When the cramps really set it, I tried walking up the steeper sections but then I started to cramp when walking too. I was really hoping for pickles or pickle brine at the rest areas but did not see any. Ended up taking couple shortcuts after mile 85 and finished with 97 miles and around 11,700 ft gain. One tough ride, especially in today's weather. I kind of wish I had a day off tomorrow, it's going to be a rough one.

Back
Top Bottom