2017 gravity season

oobaa47

FYI, Mcbp season passes were supposed to go up in price as of midnight last night.......But the link on their FB when you click it still shows $359......Regular price is $449, so that's quite the savings for you last second folk.....

DownhillR3

FYI, Mcbp season passes were supposed to go up in price as of midnight last night.......But the link on their FB when you click it still shows $359......Regular price is $449, so that's quite the savings for you last second folk.....

Good to know! Alas, I'll be the first to argue how MCBP close proximity is great for midweek laps and sneaking in morning weeeknd sessions but after doing some competitive research on other Northeast places... Deals are great. Buy before June for Killington Bike Park pass at a rate of $269 and that includes 2 free tickets to Windham and 2 free tickets to Thunder. So to break even you'd need to hit Killington 7 times in a season or Killington only 3 days and use the other passes as trips to explore or check new locations. So tempting since I'm traveling to other places this summer.

PS, if anyone wants to join on gravity fed bike parks in Northeast and wants some company, I can transport 3 DH rigs and love driving.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Sooooo, I have deemed 2018 to be the “Year of the Bike Park”! :D

Wait? Why aren’t the trumpets sounding?!? I specifically asked for trumpets! Damn you “Heraldz for Hire” ! Can’t trust Craig’s List adds for shit...:mad:

Anywho, I’ve decided as a Half Cen-Turian that there’s no time like the present to jump in with both feet. (Probably better on a bike doe):rolleyes:

Coming into the 2017 season there seems to have been some concern about MCBP’s future but from what posts I’ve read, things seem to be ok. Am I correct?

See, my plan is to purchase a 2018 season pass when available...essentially guilting myself into getting my money’s worth. Oh the mind games I play with myself. Shit phrasing...are we not doing that anymore?

I digress, I’ve got a couple months to square away the ride situation, get a pair of FiveTens and teach myself to use flat pedals rather than clipless. It’s incredible how badly I cheat lifting the back end with those clipless pedals.

So, in terms of protection.... I’ve got a full face and goggles (don’t ask why) elbow, shin-knee pads and more protective gloves are a given. Do people generally wear hip/tailbone protection? What do you guys recommend for upper body?

I ask because while I fully accept the likelihood of an injury, being under protected or worse over protected to the point of immobility would be a bitter pill for me to swallow.

What say you?

oobaa47

From what I understand, things look good for 2018. The owners (the koffman family?) are using Snow Operating (http://www.snowoperating.com) to operate/market/manage both the skiing and bike park aspects of mtn creek. Apparently it is a long term deal as well. The owners of snowoperating are previous employees of mtn creek and also have bike industry experience, so it's a positive looking forward.

I'd wear as much body armor as you possible can. If I could wrap my entire body in bubble wrap, I would. I think the bare minimum would be: full face, googles, gloves, knee/shin pads, and elbow pads. A pressure suit won't hurt either as it will protect your shoulders, triceps, forearms, chest, back, and kidneys. This sucker (fox titan) has saved me on many occasions.

Fox-Titan-Sport-Jacket-1.jpg

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
2018 season passes been available for couple weeks now

Thx for the heads up..... 2018 Pass Purchased.

From what I understand, things look good for 2018. The owners (the koffman family?) are using Snow Operating (http://www.snowoperating.com) to operate/market/manage both the skiing and bike park aspects of mtn creek. Apparently it is a long term deal as well. The owners of snowoperating are previous employees of mtn creek and also have bike industry experience, so it's a positive looking forward.

I'd wear as much body armor as you possible can. If I could wrap my entire body in bubble wrap, I would. I think the bare minimum would be: full face, googles, gloves, knee/shin pads, and elbow pads. A pressure suit won't hurt either as it will protect your shoulders, triceps, forearms, chest, back, and kidneys. This sucker (fox titan) has saved me on many occasions.

Thx for the info!

Looks like an excellent jacket. Unfortunately my “shape” rules me out for nearly all one piece systems. In order to fit over (around) my chest and shoulders all other parts will be WAY too long. :oops: So last night I purchased this.:)
90681D67-B135-4E70-8485-55CF1E9A900E.jpeg

I can modify it to attach to my elbow/forearm guards... like I’ve done with my hockey gear for the last two decades...no biggie.

So as you can see...... I’m all in for 2018.:D

qclabrat

@Juggernaut I can be convinced to join you for a few days
Never made it out this year to see how the Rallon would handle DH, but will need a full face and body armor
Do I need special shoes? Have pair of 3/4 510 Dirtbags
what about collar? I have several herniated cervical discs.

If anyone has some size medium gear for sale LMK

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
@Juggernaut I can be convinced to join you for a few days
Never made it out this year to see how the Rallon would handle DH, but will need a full face and body armor
Do I need special shoes? Have pair of 3/4 510 Dirtbags
what about collar? I have several herniated cervical discs.

If anyone has some size medium gear for sale LMK

Now you’ve gone and done it Walt! It’s in writing so you’re on the hook my friend.:)

Neck collar seems to be a disputed issue. Going to start off w/out while I’m still only hitting green and blues and I’ll reevaluate afterwards.

The beauty of the vest I bought is that it plays nice with the collar.... should it go that way. 3/4 fiveten is probably the way I’m going to go unless the experts recommend going with a different fiveten shoe.

Gonna be a fun summer. :cool:

Last edited:

Ian F

I have padded shorts I bought from Chaparral a few years ago.

http://motorcycle.chaparral-racing.com/search?w=padded shorts
To be honest, I forget the exact brand I have. I'm not sure how much they have really protected me, but I feel a little better having them.

For upper armor, I have a 7 iDP jacket I bought from Chain Reaction a few years ago. I like it because I can remove the hard shoulder pads & spine protector and wash it with the rest of my cycling gear. I may buy a second one soon so I can have Sat and Sun armor. Especially on hot Summer days, that stuff can get rank.

I plan to get a season pass for Blue Mtn next year, although I'll probably hit up Mtn Crack a few times as well. My goal is to do the majority of the Eastern States Cup race season next year. At 47 (48 next year), I'm not sure how many seasons of DH racing I have left in me. Plus, once I hit 50 all of Cat 1/2/3 gets lumped together and as mid-level Cat 2 racer I won't really have any hope of being competitive against the current crop of 40-49 Cat 1 racers (many of whom are downgraded ex-Pros) in our area.

V-Dub

I'll back up everything said here about next year. The people who are going to run the bike park next year are enthusiastic and understand whats needed there, so I'm looking forward to a good 2018

qclabrat

What's your thoughts on DH brakes? Have XTs now but plan to switch them out to another bike. The Rallon will likely be the least ridden bike out of the group. I'd love to have Hopes but more than I want to spend, what about Zees or Saints?

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@Juggernaut
Are we buying a new sled or picking up used?

Just my 2cents I would definitely go used. You be surprised at the amount of hardley ridden used DH bikes that are available. Just peep PB.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
@Juggernaut
Are we buying a new sled or picking up used?

Just my 2cents I would definitely go used. You be surprised at the amount of hardley ridden used DH bikes that are available. Just peep PB.

Matty, that is THE question. Right now I got more questions than answers. DH only Monotasker -vs- super trail bike. Known bike for stupid $$$$ -vs- the unknown but WAY more bang for the buck.... Decisions decisions.
image.png

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Are there seasonal bike rentals? maybe get a new one each year - yeah, more $$$ over the years, but more room in the garage in the winter!

Top Bottom