2017-2020 Grass & Yardwork Thread

While hacking at a rotten tree stump in the front yard I found a bunch of japanese beetle larvae hidden under the roots. According to the info available on the interweb these larvae feed mainly on grass roots, nevertheless finding them embedded in a tree roots makes me nervous. I have a number of massive oaks on my property, and the last thing I need is having some bug eat their roots causing them to fall on top of the house...I already have contractors working on destroying the house (and my bank account in the process), no need for a creepy bug to join the feast. What do you say?
While hacking at a rotten tree stump in the front yard I found a bunch of japanese beetle larvae hidden under the roots. According to the info available on the interweb these larvae feed mainly on grass roots, nevertheless finding them embedded in a tree roots makes me nervous. I have a number of massive oaks on my property, and the last thing I need is having some bug eat their roots causing them to fall on top of the house...I already have contractors working on destroying the house (and my bank account in the process), no need for a creepy bug to join the feast. What do you say?
Japanese beatle larvae will not injury your oaks but bacterial leaf scorch will kill them. What species of oak do you have on your property? Pin oak is the most susceptible followed by red oak, but all oak species and many other tree genera are susceptible.

that looks a lot like the grasses I've seen in the Caribbean, not dismissing your assessment, just looks a little different from crabgrass from my 30" monitor

Yeah similar wide blade shape to my entire lawn in Florida - I forget what kind of grass they call it but it's dark green and I don't ever have to cut it or care for it.

Yeah similar wide blade shape to my entire lawn in Florida - I forget what kind of grass they call it but it's dark green and I don't ever have to cut it or care for it.
I think they call that "shitty Florida grass that sucks and my grandparents never had to care for". Technically speaking, that is. ;)

Reactions: rlb
Damn rain. Waited a couple days too long. Breaking the @pooriggy 1/3 rule and the deck is all the way up
IMG_6892.JPG

my lawn never slowed down this year, I'm not even adding fertilizer to encourage growth
need to mow every 6-7 days

also my peaches are infested with Asian Peach Moths, whys all the bad bugs from Asia? 90% crop gone
- asian long horn beetle (tree killers)
- asian tiger mosquito (west nile)
- japanese beetles (rose killers)
- asian stink bugs (nuisance)

my lawn never slowed down this year, I'm not even adding fertilizer to encourage growth
need to mow every 6-7 days

also my peaches are infested with Asian Peach Moths, whys all the bad bugs from Asia? 90% crop gone
- asian long horn beetle (tree killers)
- asian tiger mosquito (west nile)
- japanese beetles (rose killers)
- asian stink bugs (nuisance)

Yeah and Asian invasive plants are a menace in our beloved mountain biking parks here as well: Japanese stiltgrass, multiflora rose from Japan, China and Korea, Japanese barberry and Japanese honeysuckle.

iv had mushrooms growing in my lawn too, no clue why, and they are too big to just mow over, have to go around or remove them every time i cut

does anyone know how to get rid of them for good?

Doubt there is anything you can do short of excavating your lawn down a foot or two to remove whatever organic material they are feeding on.

It's been a relatively wet summer and not too hot, good weather for mushrooms

They pop up over areas that are high in organics. You may see a round ring of mushrooms, this indicates an old decaying treestump beneath the soil.

They pop up over areas that are high in organics. You may see a round ring of mushrooms, this indicates an old decaying treestump beneath the soil.
This^
they pop up from old roots and stumps on my ft lawn all the time where a cut out a tree 15 years ago

iv had mushrooms growing in my lawn too, no clue why, and they are too big to just mow over, have to go around or remove them every time i cut

does anyone know how to get rid of them for good?

depends on the size, but usually a 9 iron gets mine out of the grass line
maxresdefault.jpg

there was a big tree removed from the area by the town (its between the sidewalk and the curb) within the last 10 years or so, that could be contributing.

depends on the size, but usually a 9 iron gets mine out of the grass line
maxresdefault.jpg

hmmm i dont play golf, but i tend to do something similar, usually with my boot :/

the first one was big and solid enough to stall the mower out when it got bigger than i realized and i couldnt just mow over it (OOPS!!!)

Back
Top Bottom