2017-2020 Grass & Yardwork Thread

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
... mowing and want my limbs.

Yesterday in Somerville, I almost stopped to take a picture of a guy mowing a short downhill section of his lawn (like 45deg 3' downslope) from the top, holding onto his push mower with 1 hand, in flip-flops.
Didn't have the darwin award kit with me.

did i start a thread for stupid stuff? i think i did. gotta look for it.

qclabrat

Yesterday in Somerville, I almost stopped to take a picture of a guy mowing a short downhill section of his lawn (like 45deg 3' downslope) from the top, holding onto his push mower with 1 hand, in flip-flops.

yeah that's mine, 45 degrees but 30-40 feet
I'm testing this on on about a quarter of my back yard

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's

Maybe he just doesn't GAF. Living on the edge bro.

qclabrat

my edge mower is dead. Thinking to replace with a wide blade which has variable speeds. Looking to spend less than 600 on the secondary market. Troy Bilt is in that range as well as Sutech. Not interested in beat up Bobcats and Scags

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
So yea, I hit a tree root and mangled one of the mower blades. I didn't realize I bent it and kept on mowing with one mower blade tip hanging low.

I also didn't realize for the next 20 minutes that the cut was extremely uneven and any time I made a right hand turn, I'd scalp the lawn down to the dirt.

Yard looks like shit. Scalped Bald spots galore. Not sure how I didn't realize I was doing this?

My question is: Will it grow back?

Scalped AF
image.jpg

Uneven AF
image.jpg

Root stopped me dead in my tracks but like a moron, I continued mowing
image.jpg

Last edited:

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Root stopped me dead in my tracks but like a moron, I continued mowing
Sounds like you should work for the county, mowing grass.

It will grow back. You may get weeds coming in where you scalped down to dirt.

Not sure why you nailed stump. I'm assuming you mowed this area before without issues. Maybe ground was wet and you sunk low enough to hit stump?
Did you lower mowing height?

You want to avoid doing this again, you could end up breaking crankshaft...and that would be bad.

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not sure why you nailed stump. I'm assuming you mowed this area before without issues. Maybe ground was wet and you sunk low enough to hit stump?
Did you lower mowing height?

Moles or squirrels or my neighbors dog have been digging holes like crazy. Upon later inspection, I noticed they removed a lot of dirt around a root network near one of my apple trees. Root was not that exposed before so Im not as RTarded as it may seem

serviceguy

While hacking at a rotten tree stump in the front yard I found a bunch of japanese beetle larvae hidden under the roots. According to the info available on the interweb these larvae feed mainly on grass roots, nevertheless finding them embedded in a tree roots makes me nervous. I have a number of massive oaks on my property, and the last thing I need is having some bug eat their roots causing them to fall on top of the house...I already have contractors working on destroying the house (and my bank account in the process), no need for a creepy bug to join the feast. What do you say?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Moles or squirrels or my neighbors dog have been digging holes like crazy. Upon later inspection, I noticed they removed a lot of dirt around a root network near one of my apple trees. Root was not that exposed before so Im not as RTarded as it may seem

what air pressure are you running? ;)

(seriously - you can lose deck height with low air)

qclabrat

many mow too low in the spring to avoid having to mow more than once a week. Keep your mower heights high and just mow more, summer is coming, it will eventually slow down

ekuhn

Gotta keep your blades sharp and straight. I fertilized (maybe a bit heavy) and with all this rain I can barely make it 7 days between cuts.

image.jpeg

rlb

I'm mowing every 4 days, by day 5 it starts to look unkept

Same here, it's been a challenge fitting in all the mowing between the rain. Had to bite the bullet a few items and mow in some conditions that were more damp than I would have liked.

Top Bottom