2017-2020 Grass & Yardwork Thread

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The pre-emergent didn't get it so it may be something I'll need to treat immediately.
The pre emergent you put down is for grassy weeds like crabgrass. The weeds you took pics of are broadleaf weeds, which a pre emergent has no control of.

I don't know exactly what weeds those are in pics, purslane, spurge?... but it really doesn't matter. What I will say is that if you want to get ride of them you need to use a broadleaf herbicide. Something in the Trimec, 3-way herbicide family...mmmm 3-way.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Man that's some beautiful grass.

img_2610-jpg.49996

Looks like it's coming around here
IMG_2758.JPG

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I could probably just google this question but I thought I'd ask here for the hell of it.

I see a lot of lawns around here that are mowed in a perfectly executed diagonal pattern. My neighbor does this and It looks kind of cool. Iv'e always mowed either side to side or front to back, rotating the pattern every other mow.

What's the deal with the diagonal pattern? Is there any advantage to this? And how does everyone get it to look so perfect?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I could probably just google this question but I thought I'd ask here for the hell of it.

I see a lot of lawns around here that are mowed in a perfectly executed diagonal pattern. My neighbor does this and It looks kind of cool. Iv'e always mowed either side to side or front to back, rotating the pattern every other mow.

What's the deal with the diagonal pattern? Is there any advantage to this? And how does everyone get it to look so perfect?

i cut mine on a diagonal yesterday - i don't know if there is a benefit, but i like the look....i rotate
diagonals, and across - kindofa 3-way ;)

Cut the center line first - corner to wherever (property isn't square, so i need to set the first line)
then work the same spot on the mower deck on the following passes - correct for any wobbles in the first line on the following pass.
will come out great. once done, make a pass around the outside to clean up the funk from reversing directions.

you are on a tractor, so it is a bit tougher to turn around - much easier on a zero-radius-turn lawn machine.

have you considered riding around the property, always throwing the grass to the outside?
that lays all the grass on one side in one direction..and doesn't force a pass over the cut grass on top of uncut grass...

---

i ran out of gas yesterday with two passes left - the lawn was so long that i had to go slowly. killed me!!
sharpened the blades and replaced the deck belt (it was cracked, and slipping) that helped.
didn't weed-whack yet. lawn looks like crap.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ideally u should rotate pattern, this way you will get a clean cut and avoid missing grass. I usually just go straight up and down because of ease.
Some people prefer a certain pattern for aesthetics. Also some people are really good at mowing straight lines, which adds to the perfection.

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Also some people are really good at mowing straight lines, which adds to the perfection.

i cut mine on a diagonal yesterday - i don't know if there is a benefit, but i like the look....i rotate
diagonals, and across - kindofa 3-way ;)

Cut the center line first - corner to wherever (property isn't square, so i need to set the first line)
then work the same spot on the mower deck on the following passes - correct for any wobbles in the first line on the following pass.
will come out great. once done, make a pass around the outside to clean up the funk from reversing directions.

Thanks for the tutorial. I may try this just to see how it looks. I will say though that I do have a problem driving the tractor in straight lines. Likely due to the fact that I'm steering with my knee, sucking down beers with one hand and texting/browsing dank memes with the other :p

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
How m
Thanks for the tutorial. I may try this just to see how it looks. I will say though that I do have a problem driving the tractor in straight lines. Likely due to the fact that I'm steering with my knee, sucking down beers with one hand and texting/browsing dank memes with the other :p
How many flats have you gotten on the mower?

ChrisRU

The neat looking stripes can be done on tractor but you're going to waste a lot of time making multi point turns at the end of each run. You're better off just going in circles so you can keep a hand free for beers.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
When it comes to straight lines you have to pick a point in the distance and aim right at it. When you turn around and look at your line, hopefully it's straight. If not straighten it. The first line is the most crucial since all the other lines will be f'd if your 1st one ain't straight.
I'll be by later in the week to check your lines.

qclabrat

the grass it coming up faster than ever, I mowed the on Friday and it's already ready for another mow
on average, in peak I'm mowing every 5 days

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
the grass it coming up faster than ever, I mowed the on Friday and it's already ready for another mow
on average, in peak I'm mowing every 5 days

No kidding man. It only takes 4 days after a mow and my yard looks unkempt. I have mowed 4 times already.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
That's exactly what I do for navigating open water crossings in sea kayak. Haha

That would make me nuts. It creates a ships curve. But if you don't want to use a compass it works!

qclabrat

WP_20170512_18_30_54_Pro.jpg trying to grow wildflowers on the hill this year. I've slipped on the hill a number of times while mowing and want my limbs.

dirt coming from my koi pond project. The digging has been very difficult, like trail building at CR.
WP_20170523_15_08_07_Pro.jpg

Top Bottom