2017-2020 Grass & Yardwork Thread

Forgot the sprinkler system...
make-it-rain-dollars.gif

But I have mud right now :shrug:

We don't really use our lawn so I'm torn. I'm OK with it looking like shit for a few months. Am I be better off just letting things be muddy, rut up, and let weeds come in over the next couple of months and plan on smoothing and seeding in August?
Yes, late summer is the best time to seed. However if you have bare ground now, I'd say this is the best time to seed.

Everyone seems to get hung up on THE BEST TIME TO SEED. This is like beer ratings, everyone is looking for Heady Topper because it gets the best rating, however there are other really good beers out there but someone rated Heady the best, so the hype follows.

If you don't seed now, you will have a lot of weeds come up, which you will have to deal with before you seed. If you do seed now, skip pre-emerge for crabgrass. You will probably have some crabgrass come up but it will die when the frosts come in the fall. Pre-emerge next spring. Overseed any weak areas again in the late summer.

Getting a green, healthy lawn is not a one and done job. In the beginning you have to work at establishing good grasses to cover the ground so weeds don't come in. Follow up with herbicide apps. to get rid of weeds that made there way in.

Choose seed with good tolerance to drought and fungus and your lawn will be a lot less labor intensive. Do some seed research, the stuff they have out now is so much better then what you buy from Home Depot.

Yes, late summer is the best time to seed. However if you have bare ground now, I'd say this is the best time to seed.

Everyone seems to get hung up on THE BEST TIME TO SEED. This is like beer ratings, everyone is looking for Heady Topper because it gets the best rating, however there are other really good beers out there but someone rated Heady the best, so the hype follows.

If you don't seed now, you will have a lot of weeds come up, which you will have to deal with before you seed. If you do seed now, skip pre-emerge for crabgrass. You will probably have some crabgrass come up but it will die when the frosts come in the fall. Pre-emerge next spring. Overseed any weak areas again in the late summer.

Getting a green, healthy lawn is not a one and done job. In the beginning you have to work at establishing good grasses to cover the ground so weeds don't come in. Follow up with herbicide apps. to get rid of weeds that made there way in.

Choose seed with good tolerance to drought and fungus and your lawn will be a lot less labor intensive. Do some seed research, the stuff they have out now is so much better then what you buy from Home Depot.

If you have bare ground, agree 100%. I don't think Holmes has bare ground though, he's thinking about leveling and grading, in which case I'd say do it in the fall.

But isn't leveling and grading and bare ground?

Yea, but he hasn't actually done the work yet (correct me if I'm wrong RU). Having just done the same thing last spring, because that's when the construction project wrapped up, I can say I wish the timing was such that it wrapped up in the fall. Keeping up with the watering on a newly seeded lawn last summer (seeded in April) was a bitch. You go on vacation for a week and no one waters, your fucked. They put water restrictions in place like they did, your fucked. Plus looking at the picture of his lawn, he has a nice grade on it, you don't establish grass on that after grading, you'll have some of that nice expensive dirt washing away with heavy summer downpours. Your time and money though.

Yea, but he hasn't actually done the work yet (correct me if I'm wrong RU). Having just done the same thing last spring, because that's when the construction project wrapped up, I can say I wish the timing was such that it wrapped up in the fall. Keeping up with the watering on a newly seeded lawn last summer (seeded in April) was a bitch. You go on vacation for a week and no one waters, your fucked. They put water restrictions in place like they did, your fucked. Plus looking at the picture of his lawn, he has a nice grade on it, you don't establish grass on that after grading, you'll have some of that nice expensive dirt washing away with heavy summer downpours. Your time and money though.
I moved last year and could have given a carp about the yard condition last year and the previous owner didnt do dick. I did some patching in the fall for bare spots but the other day I realized how uneven the back yard is, enough so that alittle leveling the low spots ain't going to cut it. I want an ok looking lawn, but this is like actual work, which I am not interested in, haha.

Thanks for the tips guys. I haven't smoothed or filled in any of the ruts yet. Looks like I'm waiting until late summer/fall. I have plenty of other projects to keep me busy.

I do have some really bare/torn up spots, but they are around my shed which is a high traffic area. I don't think interim seeding will work there. Fall is better timing so whatever i do can really take hold there.

Reactions: rlb
Anyone have recommendations on pet friendly fertilizers or weed and feed?

Anyone have recommendations on pet friendly fertilizers or weed and feed?
i use milorgonite in the backyard where the dog and childs play. Front yard gets the full toxins
For weed control, I just spot treat or pull out manually
As an added bonus, it's a great deer deterrent

ba27a444-b3ad-46ee-a32f-6638f859acf8_1.b2234160201f097fe41cf4fedfc32b26.jpeg

I was going to start my annual G-rated Weed or Not thread but I'll likely get more mileage on this one
Put down Scott with Halts about 3 weeks ago and went off to vacation
When I got back the lawn appears to have grown about 3-4 inches an ready for a mow, however I've got copious amount of these two weed whichs were noticeable last year in the bed and edges. The pre-emergent didn't get it so it may be something I'll need to treat immediately. They are already flowering so I'll need to do something tomorrow when the rain subsides.

They are both low growing and neither a grassy like.

first may be chickweed?
WP_20170420_19_02_20_Pro.jpg

the other not sure, but it has these half inch long seed pods which are very prominent
WP_20170419_07_39_01_Pro.jpg

it's the ones in the background

Back
Top Bottom