2017-2020 Grass & Yardwork Thread

i already ordered the sod :-|

Didn't see the back story so curious as we will also soon be moving into new construction for the first time, what was originally planted in the back? Did it all just die out in a year??
congrats old timer
they put sod in the front which cooked and is just about dead, and seeded the back, which was a disaster and died.

But, did you put gasoline in it?
good point damnit

i already ordered the sod :-|
edcf672e14ac644ce69aef238dff91e1.gif

Yes.
Actually there is a sod grower in that area, East Coast Sod...I would call them and ask them what kind of seed they grow there sod with. They grow some nice stuff.

What seed is good for boulders. Half of my backyard is a boulder.

and my grass just started growing......time to change the oil in the lawn machine, and weed whacker.
sharpen up those blades!

I put it down because I knew it would get watered in well, and we are probably done with any significant sub-zero weather. Usually should do it twice, about 3-4 weeks apart and water it in. If you plan on seeding, you can’t put pre-emergent down, as your seed won’t grow. You have to seed first, and once the seed starts growing, put the pre-emergent down. Problem is, you do that, it will be too late to put the pre-emergent down. If you’re going to seed, do it in September, not now.

my dog murdered my lawn, so I overseeded right before this week of rain. Just in the murdered patches. I actually manually pulled out all the crab grass last fall while playing fetch with dog. So there were a ton of holes in the lawn from that, and the dog. Hopefully it'll start growing and survives more dog and chickens.

If you’re going to seed, do it in September, not now.

This is what I was gonna say. Spring seeding interferes with your pre-emergent, and it also requires that your young grass compete with a lot of weeds early on, then it has to survive the summer on a shallow root system. This is why fall seeding is best.

But I have mud right now :shrug:

We don't really use our lawn so I'm torn. I'm OK with it looking like shit for a few months. Am I be better off just letting things be muddy, rut up, and let weeds come in over the next couple of months and plan on smoothing and seeding in August?

But I have mud right now :shrug:

We don't really use our lawn so I'm torn. I'm OK with it looking like shit for a few months. Am I be better off just letting things be muddy, rut up, and let weeds come in over the next couple of months and plan on smoothing and seeding in August?

If you do it now, half of grass you plant will be dead by the mid-July, and you’ll have crabgrass everywhere you don’t have grass. You have to really keep up on the watering if you do it in the spring, which based on your pictures, will be difficult to do once it gets really warm out. It’s not very “Montville” of you, but I’d let it go to shit and do all of the work in September.

Never head doing it again in 2 weeks.

Fall seeding FTW!

When it comes to crab grass, you need to be a little heavy-handed. Two-weeks will be too soon given that the weather looks to be cool through the week of the 10th, but in this area, you’re 2 treatments of pre-emerger should be down before May.

and plan on smoothing and seeding in August?

If you really want to go nuts, hit the whole thing with Roundup towards the end of July, and a few more times for any weed that pop up over the following weeks, then seed the whole thing in mid August.

With that sort of commitment you'll need to have your water figured out (you need to water multiple time daily for the first few weeks then taper it off as the seedlings grow), plus you'll need a few applications of fertilizer in the fall.

Back
Top Bottom