2017-2018 XC SKI SEASON

@Bike N Gear , at this point I suck at downhill skiing. Truth be told, I was never a great tele-mark skier. The thought of bending low on every turn these days makes my knees hurt. I exclusively xc ski these days, it just feels right for me.

My knee has healed, it's been a little over 2 wks. since I cut my knee open. I get the stiches out tomorrow however I have been active in the last week. The first week I did nothing, listening to my body and the Dr, I tried to not bend my knee and stay off my feet. Gradually I felt better and began to mtb and xc ski, I did wear knee pads though, it gave me piece of mind and protect my knee.

I am really grateful for the orthopedist who put me back together. We often don't think about Drs until we need them, but when we need them... they are life savors.

I went to New Paltz Friday and Sunday, both days I skied in the Mohonk Preserve. Before the Holidays I attended a training session to be a volunteer xc ski patrol member. I enjoy skiing these trails an helping folks on the trails if needed. Most of the time I am an ambassador and just smile and say hello. Friday I did actually help someone who was having binding issues and needed help with directions...Iggy giving directions, lol.

Yesterday there was a free xc ski clinic at Mohonk that I helped out with. 80 people showed up, which was awesome. It's so good to see that many people young and old on xc skis, especially in an age where we spend so much time on the internets.

Iggy on the internets at Mohonk.
View attachment 62414

View attachment 62415

I don't see myself ever being just an XC skier. I just finished picking the scab off my elbow from my one day out. No bike or DH ski injuries all year and then bleeding from the elbow in 20 feet of XC skiing. Too extreme for me.

Threw out my back on Saturday reaching for a quick release, so it might be a while before I do anything fun. Not sure WTF caused that. Been 20+ years since I felt anything like that.

It's easy to get caught up in our day to day stuff, that we forget how different things can be when we step away from it. On Saturday morning I drove up to VT to xc ski Prospect Mountain, which is 8 miles up the road from Bennington. I'm a fan of leaving NJ on Saturday morning as opposed to Friday evening. Traffic blows leaving NJ at rush hour and it seems like rush hour starts at 3pm on Fridays. Also I save money by not having to get a room Friday night.

Looking at the forecast for the wknd was dismal, they where calling for rain/ice practically all wknd in VT. There was an 18" base of snow, so I knew I would be able to ski but I was hoping the rains would hold off a bit.

The ride up was quick, 3:15 with a bathroom stop. Everyone drives 80 mph, so when you pass a state trooper with a cluster of 10 other cars going that fast you get a pass. @Carson am I right?

At 10:30am Mary and I pull into the parking lot of Prospect. There is a light ice drizzle but I'm feeling fresh and ready to ski. By the time I get changed the precip has stopped and 35 degree temps feel spring like. Despite the fact that Mary doesn't xc ski and is a fair weather snow shoer, she enjoys VT, especially the outlets at Manchester, which is about 35 minutes away.

20180212_064621.jpg

This place is an old alpine ski destination that was converted to xc skiing in the late 70s/80s. What I like is the fact that going up to the top is what I call adventure skiing. The grooming on those trails is not as consistent because the runs are double track through trees and Its harder to get the groomers around the steep twisting terrain. Skiing to the top and coming down is like mtbing with a cx bike.

The lower half of the mtn is more traditional xc skiing, with flats, rollers and short punchy climbs and descents. This is like road biking, keeping the heart rate at tempo pace for long stretches. I know I write about this place every year but I forget what I wrote and you probably didn't read it. What I like about this place besides the skiing is the real VT feel. The owner sells trail passes in the morning and then helps with food prep at the snack stand in the afternoon. The lodge is filled with lean old dudes like myself as well as families, local kids on xc ski teams and women who don't dye there hair.

I put this sticker on this stanschion on top of the mountain last year around this time. Oh, and this is my trail pass.
20180210_115613.jpg

20180210_144946.jpg

I got in from Pittsburgh last night, the wife and I spent the wknd visiting our son at Pitt. No snow accumulation there but fun tourist things to do.
20180219_121941.jpg
This morning I was not in the mood to drive 2hrs north to New Paltz to ski, snow reports where mediocre. Instead I went down the road to local golf course and found good skating conditions. By 8:30am the snow set up perfectly and I skied on the fastest snow this year. It felt good to get in 2hrs before the snow got too soft.
20180219_121824.jpg

I got in from Pittsburgh last night, the wife and I spent the wknd visiting our son at Pitt. No snow accumulation there but fun tourist things to do.
View attachment 63948
This morning I was not in the mood to drive 2hrs north to New Paltz to ski, snow reports where mediocre. Instead I went down the road to local golf course and found good skating conditions. By 8:30am the snow set up perfectly and I skied on the fastest snow this year. It felt good to get in 2hrs before the snow got too soft.
View attachment 63947
Okay, those artistic shots look awesome. I usually makes fun of Mitch for that but you nailed it Iggy. Good job downloading that app.

Okay, those artistic shots look awesome
Inspired by Andy Warhola. Andy Warhol grew up in Pittsburgh, actually in the same neighborhood my son is currently living in.
There is a 7 floor museum downtown which exhibits his work and gives his history.

Like most 2nd generation kids he grew up poor but had a desire to be somebody. It's amazing how the son of God fearing emigrants can grow up to dream so big.
20180219_124957.jpg

Like what? Probably going back for admitted students visit next month.
Well, the Warhol Museum, bicycle heaven,
https://www.bicycleheaven.org
There is a nice walkway along 3 rivers that you can bike or walk on. If I bike I usually park around bicycle heaven and head towards pnc park.
Also the Carnegie Museum is good, it has Art and History, I'd do one or the other, it's a lot to take in both in one day.
https://carnegiemuseums.org
If your into beer, this is the best place in Pittsburgh imo.
http://www.dancinggnomebeer.com/home/

I'm not sure where you are staying but my wife and I really like the Shady Side Inn. They are small apartments in a neighborhood, so they are very cozy, shops, restaurants and hot yoga is a short walk and Its only a few miles from Pitt.
http://www.shadysideinn.com

@soundz thanks Jimmy. For $70 I'm gonna give classic waxable skis a shot. Can't go wrong with the classic stride.
rossignol-zymax-nis-classic-clar-cross-country-skis-13-zoom.jpg

Aren't you on Alpina Control skis?

27868039_549864312053804_2147666539423550769_n.jpg

Jimmy, I'm not sure what you are asking. Can you explain yourself with more words?

Jimmy, I'm not sure what you are asking. Can you explain yourself with more words?

I was thinking I should be buy more things (skate ski? ski's better for braking trail?) to make myself feel good. But I haven't gone ski'ing since the last time I went with you so it's probably not a great idea.

Run what you brung, those skis are good in track and off trail. If you work your classic form the transition to skate is not difficult.

Back
Top Bottom