2017-2018 XC SKI SEASON

Ski's don't work in the deep snow either?
They work, but not as well. You end up snow shoeing if it's too deep. Haven't you learned anything from our xc ski outings?

I met Woody today to xc ski Watchung, despite it being only 12 degrees in the parking lot, the cold really was not an issue on the trails.

There was probably about 5" of snow on the ground but trail runners participating in an event had beaten down the trail to a firm 10" wide tread, that was thin in cover in spots.

In the first 5 minutes of skiing I bottomed out in this tread on a rock an instantly went flying and landed on my knee. It happened so fast I was kinda like wo, what just happened. Nothing hurt but I was surprised to see my pants torn on my right knee and a gash on knee. It didn't hurt so I kept on skiing but I stayed out of the thin, beaten down snow cover.

After about 10 minutes I forgot about the fall and Woody and I enjoyed the single track flow.
20180106_133017.jpg

We crossed over to the south face and it felt much warmer in the sun and we now had a tailwind. We skied primarily in tracks of hikers and snowshoers and avoided the trail runners thin tread. The trail around the lake is always good skiing, with consistent snow cover and not much rocks.

We finished our loop and skied back up from the lake to the cars in playground loop. The wind was howling up in this exposed area. Me an Woody took one last pic and I snapped a pic of my knee, which now looked like chopped meat.
20180106_145835.jpg
20180106_145852.jpg

So...I went home and peeled off my new PI Amfib tights and saw a deep nasty gash on my knee. I took a shower and went to the Urgent Care two miles from my house. They looked at it and said, yeah you need stiches but that cut is too deep for us, you have exposed bone. Now I'm sitting in the ER at Overlook, this is worse then going to Motor Vehicles. There is a drunk woman here who won't sit still and a bunch of sick people caughing an hacking all over. Maybe I should go to Utah's an see if his wife can stitch me up.
20180106_161119.jpg

Rub some snow in it, ski it off.

Bummer about the AmFibs.
Does Mary sew?

While waiting in ER a drunk women kept going up to the desk and was told repeatedly to sit down. She laid down on floor so they wheeled her in, maybe I should do this.

After a lot of Drs. looking at my knee, they determined I will live to ski another day.
An orthopedist worked on me for 2 hrs, making sure my knee joint was not compromised. It was painful but, luckily all was good.
Stiches inside and out, no surgery needed.
20180106_212051.jpg

You don't want to see before pics;)

Attachments

• 20180106_212051.jpg
    20180106_212051.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 0
The possibility of a septic knee is not something you want to take lightly, given the size of that zipper they had to install.

After a few ER trips, I've decided to always go to Morristown hospital. Is worth the extra drive.

Did the cold preserve your ground beef knee?

The possibility of a septic knee is not something you want to take lightly, given the size of that zipper they had to install.
Yeah, the orthopedist shot my knee joint with 155 CCs of saline to check for leakage, they wanted to make sure there was no damage to the joint, which could lead to septic arthritis. Luckily it was good and no surgery was needed to repair my knee. Getting a large volume pf saline shot into your knee felt weird at 1st then as they inject that last 30CCs it's downright painful, like an intense cramp in the knee.

I have to wear a knee immobilizer for 2 wks and am supposed to use crutches for the 1st week. Knee immobilizer ok...crutches??? Not sure how long that will last.

The fact that I skied on this knee for 90 minutes after the injury was kinda stupid, but I also knew once I got this treated I'd be off my feet for awhile.

That's a pretty good wound to "play through". When I saw the "chopped meat" photo, I was like "Oh, that's not good" and Woody's pic really confirmed it. Hope you heal up quickly.

BTW - I'd also like to say "thank you", since this helps some of my past "poor judgment" not look so bad to my wife. :p

Your making me realize how lucky we got off yesterday skiing the same type of terrain.....so much for your leg modeling career....get well soon

Well, it ain't gonna get any better with warmer temps on the way. I've heard Allaire still has a lot of snow but it may be too soft and slushy by this afternoon.

I ended up at 6MR and just did the trails by Jacques. I never realized that the x in xc skiing stood for extreme. About 20 feet in I realized that tying to control skis with flip flops is not quite the same as 130 flex dh ski boots.

As I stupidly leaned back when my skis shot forward I watched them pass over my head. Skiing along afterwards with my elbow stinging as it stuck to my jersey I just kept picturing your knee. Thankfully it was just a small scrape. Though I awoke this morning to feel all the other pains from hitting the frozen ground.

@Bike N Gear , at this point I suck at downhill skiing. Truth be told, I was never a great tele-mark skier. The thought of bending low on every turn these days makes my knees hurt. I exclusively xc ski these days, it just feels right for me.

My knee has healed, it's been a little over 2 wks. since I cut my knee open. I get the stiches out tomorrow however I have been active in the last week. The first week I did nothing, listening to my body and the Dr, I tried to not bend my knee and stay off my feet. Gradually I felt better and began to mtb and xc ski, I did wear knee pads though, it gave me piece of mind and protect my knee.

I am really grateful for the orthopedist who put me back together. We often don't think about Drs until we need them, but when we need them... they are life savors.

I went to New Paltz Friday and Sunday, both days I skied in the Mohonk Preserve. Before the Holidays I attended a training session to be a volunteer xc ski patrol member. I enjoy skiing these trails an helping folks on the trails if needed. Most of the time I am an ambassador and just smile and say hello. Friday I did actually help someone who was having binding issues and needed help with directions...Iggy giving directions, lol.

Yesterday there was a free xc ski clinic at Mohonk that I helped out with. 80 people showed up, which was awesome. It's so good to see that many people young and old on xc skis, especially in an age where we spend so much time on the internets.

Iggy on the internets at Mohonk.
20180119_160114.jpg

20180119_131559.jpg

Back
Top Bottom