2017-2018 XC SKI SEASON

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The snow is back, most of us got 3-5" of wet snow, which made for somewhat sticky conditions. I waxed up before going out but still encountered snow build up on the bottoms of my skis. The ground not being frozen plus a lot of moisture in the snow and air temps right around freezing were the perfect recipe for snow caking up the skis.

20171210_120717.jpg
Despite this it still felt good to be out on the snow. There were moments of bliss when I could get the skis to glide. Staying in my tracks on my return loop allowed for some classic stride which felt good.
20171210_120804.jpg

I saw kids out on the golf course sledding, that was not working out too well either as the snow was sticking on their plastic just as much as my skis. Oh well.

After being out for about 1.5hrs. I must say I feel it, my whole body feels like it was worked. Hopefully we continue to get more snow over the winter to play in.

20171210_120637.jpg

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I was wondering if we’d get enough snow in Monmouth County for XC skiing, but no dice.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
For those looking for a good deal on skis, I found these and ordered them for my son. http://www.ems.com/fischer-explorer-68-crown-nis-skis/1310593.html
They are good for off track, out the back door adventure stuff, I plan to take him to the golf course and Watchung with me.
The have an NIS plate which makes for easy attachment of bindings, these are adjustable and do not require drilling into ski. The sizes they have left are limited however, if you weigh over 150lbs. they will be too small for you.
When shopping for bindings I prefer manual bindings due to there simplicity and reliability. Step in bindings, while convenient, are not as reliable as manual bindings. Finally these skis require NIS compatible bindings, like these. https://www.amazon.com/Rottefella-Performance-Nis-Classic-Bindings/dp/B01LNFA000

StayHydrated

Swedish Chef
Dear Iggy,

Have XC Ski'd like, twice in my life. Want skis real bad, used is okay. Found some ElCheapo™ skis new, with Rottefella step-ins, on eBay. They're not off-track, out-the-back-door deals, more skiing in track types. They look to be a China factory brand I've never heard of, but since they're cheap and I'll likely be beating on them and/or torturing my girlfriend by getting her in over her head, I figure they're fine. Thoughts? Do you have recommendations on off-track vs in-track, price points, and where to buy for beginners? Have been cruising eBoo and Cragzlist, but I feel like it's a lot of people asking $150 for 30 year old skis with 3-pin bindings. Plan was to score whatever I could on the cheap used for poles and skis, and then buy boots new/on sale/clearance because feet are #1. PLZ HALP.

Drink yo' water,
StayHydrated

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Do you have recommendations on off-track vs in-track, price points, and where to buy for beginners? Have been cruising eBoo and Cragzlist, but I feel like it's a lot of people asking $150 for 30 year old skis with 3-pin bindings.
Yeah, its seems people selling on CL, FB an Ebay are delusional these days. People asking stupid prices on old shit, that they've had posted for like a year. I've made people offers on bike and xc ski stuff and gotten replys like, no low balling man. If you can get lucky buying used then go for it, but mostly its over priced out dated stuff.
Neal's Sports Emporium on 23 usually has decent stuff at good price points.http://www.nealssportsemporium.com/
The link i posted above for ems is a good place to find deals. Also High Point xc ski center is selling used xc ski equipment, I'd call ahead to see what he has left.
Honestly xc ski stuff is a lot cheaper then bike stuff, even if you buy new an realize its not for you, you can turn around and post on CL, FB or Ebay , you'll probably be able to sell it faster than that old shit people post. Life is to short to not try something new, you may like it , you may not but you will never find out if you don't jump in.

StayHydrated

Swedish Chef
Thanks. This is the info I needed, especially the "you don't need metal edges" and "yes, everyone on Craigslist is smoking some dope". I had thought about calling High Point, but now I'll have to give it a shot.

If I score skis, I will post here for sure.

ktmrider

Finially purchased some skis , picked up a set of atomic red stars for flat open us forestry roads and also picked up a backcountry set Volkl v werks . Got a good deal on buying 2 complete sets . This is by far the cheapest sport I have been involved with . Looking forward to getting out Monday morning conditions are perfect here.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
It wouldn't be Christmas break without some xc skiing at New Paltz.
They actually have had several snow events in the last 3 wks, nothing major but I think they have had about 12 skiable days so far this season.
The last snow occurred a few days ago, which yielded about 5". I received some good reports on skate skiing, so headed up this morning. The groomers did a nice job packing an rolling snow. The skate lanes are nice an wide although some.wind blown sections required a dismount, this did not detract from the awesome conditions.

I will add that it was like 5 degrees cold, so selfie pics where kept to a minimum. I ended getting in about 16 miles of skating. Hopefully they get some more snow this weekend to keep the season going.

20171227_145314.jpg20171227_114424.jpg

Chris26er

Team MTBNJ.com-Halter's
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It wouldn't be Christmas break without some xc skiing at New Paltz.
They actually have had several snow events in the last 3 wks, nothing major but I think they have had about 12 skiable days so far this season.
The last snow occurred a few days ago, which yielded about 5". I received some good reports on skate skiing, so headed up this morning. The groomers did a nice job packing an rolling snow. The skate lanes are nice an wide although some.wind blown sections required a dismount, this did not detract from the awesome conditions.

I will add that it was like 5 degrees cold, so selfie pics where kept to a minimum. I ended getting in about 16 miles of skating. Hopefully they get some more snow this weekend to keep the season going.

View attachment 61092View attachment 61093
Give those glasses back to that blind guy

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
@pooriggy thanks for posting conditions, would not have thought there was enough snow, but conditions were good and we had a great time. Out and around awosting lake...classic...about 10mi.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
thanks for posting conditions, would not have thought there was enough snow,
Glad to hear you made it up to New Paltz. They always have a good chance of ski-able snow when we get a dusting.
I made it up to Lapland yesterday, which had even more snow, about an 8" base. I went with with a fellow xc skier, so the ride up an back in a day was not bad. It was a great day of skate skiing and I ran into Aaron. He just moved up that way this year.
So far the xc season has had some good conditions if you are willing to drive. Go get it if you want it, with the cold temps snow will last in New Paltz, Adirondaks an VT.
20171230_145958.jpg

Two Horse open sleigh, this was really a beautiful sight to see, the bells jingled as the horses trotted.
20171230_185101.jpg

Hey it's Aaron.
20171230_132920.jpg

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wax up the skis now, looks like we will have good conditions locally. This storm is more coastal, so these are the places that should have some good groomed trails. Give it a day or two for them to work the trails.

Thompson Park in Lincroft rents xc skis and grooms the trails with a snowmobile, check their website as to when they are open.
https://www.monmouthcountyparks.com/page.aspx?ID=3267
Fahnestock up north, near Blue Mountain is planning to open Saturday. This place is really fun, with fast, flowee downhills.
https://parks.ny.gov/parks/147/details.aspx

For off track, I plan to hit up Allaire tomorrow afternoon, hopefully the snow shoe'ers beat a trail down. If the snow is too deep I'll hit up Watchung.

20180104_114200.jpg

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I can tell you we are getting pummeled along the coast. It's been snowing sideways since daybreak. The drifting is pretty severe.

I'll be at Thompson on Saturday, I imagine.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
So how do you use these things? I bought some BC 70mm?? XC skis like 5 years ago and haven't touched them yet, other than throw them in my roof box every year. I always ride the fat bike instead. But maybe this will be the year.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
So how do you use these things? I bought some BC 70mm??

70mm are a bit wide and are best suited for out of track xc skiing, basically hitting up parks, golf courses and trails in your area. Before you hit up tighter trails like 6mile or Allaire its best if you knew how to slow down and turn on xc skis. My first several years of xc skiing, I stayed in parks and golf courses, places more wide open and easier to ski, over time I ventured onto tighter trails and then got into skate skiing at groomed centers.
No matter what size skis you have, or your style its important to know the mechanics and technique of xc skiing. Regardless if you are at a groomed center or in Allaire weaving along narrow trails, if you know how to work a ski, it will improve your experience.

This video may be a bit long winded for some, however, he really explains what the diagonal stride is all about. While this is best practiced at a groom center, the principles and mechanics of skiing are the same, even in the woods in untracked snow. Off track may be more difficult to get gliding in, however weighting you skis properly even in the backwoods is just as important as being at a groomed center.

For more technique geared for out of track skiing, these videos cover slowing and turning, which are essential if you are skiing tighter trails with trees.

The biggest mistake you can make in XC skiing, is leaving your skis in your car for 5 yrs. and never using them :)

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I stopped off at Thompson Park after work. They had the snow mobile out grooming trails, they worked around the oval track but that's about it.

The wind is really an issue, some open areas the snow is wind blown down to grass. I blazed a trail in the woods to get out of the wind. XC skiing in the woods is kinda like mtbing, you dont go as fast but the twisting an elevation brings a challenging element, which is fun.

Tomorrow I'll probably head to Watchung, with colder temps and wind tomorrow, the woods will provide some relief from the wind.

In da track.
20180105_144802.jpg

In da woods.
20180105_161419.jpg

Top Bottom