2017-2018 XC SKI SEASON

cbiker

I have some metal edged traditional narrow xc skis. Yeah the problem is the catskills got like four feet of snow all at once so it hasnt fully corned up. Needs a bunch more freeze thaws so it will support weight. Where its packed down its fine if the sun is out but a lot of the trails where packed by snowshoers so its like skiing in a big ditch. Should be good in a couple weeks though.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Oh hey. Enjoying spring time in NJ. Got mtbing in this wknd and was surprised by skiable snow today.

Kinda surreal being on a golf course today skiing when it was packed with golfers yesterday.
20180402_171354.jpg

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@pooriggy - how many words for "snow" do you and Paul have?
Yeah, snow, has the ability to turn the world into a black and white landscape which is strikingly beautiful and simple, however in reality the moisture properties that make up a snow molecule can vary greatly and produce very different results when skied upon.
These waxes are for skate skiing on different types of snow...it gets complicated. If you want speed, you have to match the glide wax to snow. There is also another host of kick waxes for waxing classic skis. This is what makes waxless classic skis so popular;)
2013-CNX-A5-Poster-10A-427x600.png

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Please update this thread.

So after 3 years of not xc skiing (shoed instead) because my really old set exploded I am in the market. I fumbled through first few pages. How do you determine size of skis to purchase?

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Please update this thread.

So after 3 years of not xc skiing (shoed instead) because my really old set exploded I am in the market. I fumbled through first few pages. How do you determine size of skis to purchase?
I will update with a new thread within a few days, please check back then for detailed info on what you need to start the 2018-2019 XC Ski Season.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Mad image skills there!

aid1383880-v4-900px-Size-Cross-Country-Skis-Step-8.jpg

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's

The Kalmyk

If ever in the Catskills my man Brian is at the Lodge in Woodstock. Nice cabins to rent and schweet old bar with great music and low key vibe.

Warm ya up wit da....
163F494E-C48D-4117-9219-8F41DA0B2BC7.jpeg

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Any trail reports from this recent storm?

Hoping to get out Saturday if conditions allow.
Minnewaska and Mohonk only received 4" of snow, but given the cold temps they should have something left by Saturday.

High Point received 8-9" and is reporting best conditions of the year.

I'm not sure if you are looking for a groomed center or back country trails, in any case, conditions may vary Saturday, it's best to get snow reports Friday and plan accordingly for Saturday...just like mtbing;)

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Minnewaska and Mohonk only received 4" of snow

Haha, we were there. 2" at best I would say. The sun-exposed areas were already dirt/mud by yesterday afternoon - Humpty Dumpty to be specific. The trails in the woods (Forrest Road, for example) had plenty of snow pack, solid 4" groomed/packed for the most part. But here and there it is burned into the ground, like at the bottom of any hill where noobs like me would just slide out of control and scrape all the snow off. Of course, this is closer to the house itself.

roc

Does anybody know if there are any trails near Morristown that are broken in. I would love to get out somewhere this afternoon, but I am terrible and don’t want to ski unbroken trail.
Maybe Lewis Morris or any golf course around here

Top Bottom