2017-2018 XC SKI SEASON

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
20180304_152343.jpg
This past wknd was the High Point of the xc season for me. Looking at this pic you could probably guess why. I need an orange and blue knit ski hat, anyone know where I could get one?

I turned 52 on Saturday, when you get snow on your birthday you use it. I have to admit I've been feeling a bit depressed lately. I think it has to do with the passage of time and the continuous routines that come with it. As I get older it's harder to get excited for what's ahead, mostly because I've already been there. Work, cycling, home life , family, friends...its more or less the same shit. My birthday and the changes of seasons just remind me of this ground hog day feeling.

The reason I love xc skiing is because it's different and it's more of a dance that you find rythem in. I wanted my older son Evan to come with me to High Point but he had to coach a swim meet this wknd. I drove up alone but was pleasantly surprised to find Paul up there, I literally parked right next to him. I've seen Paul off an on over the years mtbing. He's kinda like Woody, someone I won't see for a year but then connect with on a few rides.
We're both on the same page when it comes to xc skiing, we love the dance. He spent some time living in Tahoe, xc skiing a lot with the occasional race. He gave me a lot of good tips on skate techniques. We enjoyed ourselves so much that we decided to meet again Sunday to ski.
The conditions on Sunday where much better, the snow was a bit too soft the previous day, after grooming again early Sunday morning, the trails had firmed up and provided a nice corduroy skating lane. This resulted in much faster effortless skiing, which means it doesn't get easier, you just go more ape shit.

Like the uneasy feeling you get before a race my depression goes away as soon as the horn blows. It's usually worse when you have time to think about thinking. Now that my birthday has passed I'll not be reminded of time passing and once the season changes and we are into spring I'll forget about routines and be caught up in them, which is not a bad thing. We may do the same things every year but it's our friends, family and people we connect with that keep it from getting old.
20180304_152551.jpg

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Since February was one of the warmest on record, we are getting winter now in March. If you don't like snow, this is tough to take. There were multiple times I was in shorts last month riding dry trails, not so much now.
For guys like Paul and I, we worship snow and xc skiing is our religion. Like most religions, if you talk about it too much, others don't want to hear it. I'll just say we would be content being on snow for 9 months and mtbing for 3 months. I can only post this here in this thread, advertising this too much could get us stoned.
Did anyone else worship this wknd?

Fun with Woody at Watchung. A lot of blow downs on the trails, nothing huge, just lots of smaller stuff.
20180309_170344.jpg

Fast skate skiing at Minnewaska with Paul. Perfectly groomed trails on the best snow of the year.
20180310_124915.jpg

I was going to ski Mohonk Sunday, but checked out the trails and they were stiff and glassed over from freeze/thaw cycle. Unfortunately they did not groom. Luckily Minnewaska is right up the road. I skate skied there again on re groomed snow, which was fast and perfect again.
The hat really pulls the outfit together.
20180311_190757.jpg

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hey! Conditions better at high point or Minnewaska? Thx!
Minnewaska, way better. This is a state run park and they have really amped up their xc ski trails this year, more trails open and groomed and improved system for keeping boot hikers off the trails.

HP is operating on a lower budget with less manpower and equpment to groom trails. For me driving all the way up 23 is a hump, I can make it to Minnewaska with just slightly more travel time.

If you are local to HP, then you can't beat the convenience however for better snow, more trails and cooler temps to keep the snow firm, New Paltz is the place to go.

stilluf

Since February was one of the warmest on record, we are getting winter now in March. If you don't like snow, this is tough to take. There were multiple times I was in shorts last month riding dry trails, not so much now.
For guys like Paul and I, we worship snow and xc skiing is our religion. Like most religions, if you talk about it too much, others don't want to hear it. I'll just say we would be content being on snow for 9 months and mtbing for 3 months. I can only post this here in this thread, advertising this too much could get us stoned.

Fun with Woody at Watchung. A lot of blow downs on the trails, nothing huge, just lots of smaller stuff.

Yup , got out to Watchung as well for some shoe on Sunday. lots of small blow downs on Skytop fire road, but all avoidable. Based on the prints, only 2 other people had been on the trail since the storm on Wednesday. Freeholder Bergen was right; the park is so over used! ;)

onetracker

Minnewaska, way better. This is a state run park and they have really amped up their xc ski trails this year, more trails open and groomed and improved system for keeping boot hikers off the trails.

HP is operating on a lower budget with less manpower and equpment to groom trails. For me driving all the way up 23 is a hump, I can make it to Minnewaska with just slightly more travel time.

If you are local to HP, then you can't beat the convenience however for better snow, more trails and cooler temps to keep the snow firm, New Paltz is the place to go.
Thanks for your perspective. I have been to both places and totally agree. Actually, I was asking about the quality of snow HP vs MWA this past weekend but I think your post indicates that snow quality will almost always be better at MWA. Also agree, getting to HP can be a taxing car ride. I probably get to HP more often because we have a house in NE PA and pass HP en route. I would also say MWP is a more dramatic setting due to the rock formations and ridge line trails. Hopefully the snow over the next couple of days will improve conditions locally and farther a-field.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's

View attachment 65259

Fast skate skiing at Minnewaska with Paul. Perfectly groomed trails on the best snow of the year.
View attachment 65260

I was going to ski Mohonk Sunday, but checked out the trails and they were stiff and glassed over from freeze/thaw cycle. Unfortunately they did not groom. Luckily Minnewaska is right up the road. I skate skied there again on re groomed snow, which was fast and perfect again.
The hat really pulls the outfit together.
View attachment 65261

Sooo......Where'd you get the hat? Asking for a friend...

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Last edited:

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Its snowing again, in case you didn't notice. This year has really gotten screwed up with mtbing and racing in particular. We lost Short Track and the first H2H race is not looking to promising either. My attitude is just go with it, got snow, then ski, got dirt then mtb. It is kinda hard to prepare for mtb racing when you are not certain if races will happen, I'm looking at the first races as a tune up for me, my training for mtb racing has been somewhat inconsistent. Its hard to go out and do intervals when there is snow on the roads and trails and I'm not going to sit on a trainer when I can have fun on XC skis.

20180317_095158.jpg

I went to Minnewaska again last Saturday and Fahnestock Sunday with Paul, both places are groomed centers with great xc skiing. Paul used to live in Tahoe and raced xc when he lived there. He showed me some different techniques to change gears on snow. If I start talking about V1, V2 and V2 alternate you will want to shoot me, so I'll just say I am really a fan of Skate technique and the beauty I find in the movement. Like watching a swimmer glide through the water effortlessly, I enjoy watching freestyle skiers switching gears on snow and seeing the grace and power they put out. This is one of the few sports that puts great physical demand on the whole body, after skating for 2-3hrs my entire body is fatigued but it feels so good.

20180318_163408.jpg

In case you missed Randall and Diggins winning the team sprint in this years Olympics, making history and winning gold here it is. Like road cycling it's a sport dominated by Europeans, this win was incredible.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Its snowing again, in case you didn't notice. This year has really gotten screwed up with mtbing and racing in particular. We lost Short Track and the first H2H race is not looking to promising either. My attitude is just go with it, got snow, then ski, got dirt then mtb. It is kinda hard to prepare for mtb racing when you are not certain if races will happen, I'm looking at the first races as a tune up for me, my training for mtb racing has been somewhat inconsistent. Its hard to go out and do intervals when there is snow on the roads and trails and I'm not going to sit on a trainer when I can have fun on XC skis.

View attachment 65806

I went to Minnewaska again last Saturday and Fahnestock Sunday with Paul, both places are groomed centers with great xc skiing. Paul used to live in Tahoe and raced xc when he lived there. He showed me some different techniques to change gears on snow. If I start talking about V1, V2 and V2 alternate you will want to shoot me, so I'll just say I am really a fan of Skate technique and the beauty I find in the movement. Like watching a swimmer glide through the water effortlessly, I enjoy watching freestyle skiers switching gears on snow and seeing the grace and power they put out. This is one of the few sports that puts great physical demand on the whole body, after skating for 2-3hrs my entire body is fatigued but it feels so good.

View attachment 65807

In case you missed Randall and Diggins winning the team sprint in this years Olympics, making history and winning gold here it is. Like road cycling it's a sport dominated by Europeans, this win was incredible.

was thinking about you today while i watched some people suffer on xc skis on the d&r. Looked more like snowshoe, there was no glide at all.
not even an attempt. Yet they were out, which is a good thing.

What is the cost of the trail pass? Is it a daily?

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
was thinking about you today while i watched some people suffer on xc skis on the d&r. Looked more like snowshoe, there was no glide at all.
not even an attempt. Yet they were out, which is a good thing.

What is the cost of the trail pass? Is it a daily?
Trail pass varies, and they are daily but you can buy season park passes. Minnewaska is groomed by NY state employees, so it's cheaper, $10. Most private groomed centers are closer to $20.
XC skiing along the D&R in 6-8"+ of snow is more like snow shoeing, there is not much real glide. The beauty of xc skiing is more evident at groomed centers. I enjoy skiing in Watchung or golf courses when the snow is beaten down more.

cbiker

I dont know how conditions will be but im going to head up to the Catskills Monday and tuesday to xc ski. If anyone is interested in doing some skiing let me know. I could also do some bc skiing on steeper stuff if anyone is interested in that.

cbiker

Catskills skill has plenty of snow (3 feet up high) and if the sun is out conditions arent bad. Yesterday was good today it was cloudy so the snow was like deep styrofoam and the.downhills were sketchy. Think it will be good if it warms up and consolidates more maybe in about two weeks.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Anyone to get out the week after next and the sun is out let me know
I guess you are back country skiing in Catskills? Skiing breakable crust or hardpack is impossible, warm days, cold nights produce the crust. If it stays cold during the day the crust doesn't soften.

What kinda skis are you running?

Prospect mtn in VT still has snow for xc and they groom.

Top Bottom