2016 World Cup DH

oobaa47

Wow, fn epic!!! What an amazing way to kick off the wc dh season. I think this isn't the last of "gwin vs loic" we'll see. Loic may be the first pope of downhill, be gwin is rock jesus!!! Stevie Smith looks back, that's for sure. Great day for him. Don't forget steve peat, not only qualifying, but finishing top 50 as well, great to see that on his farewell tour. East Coaster luca shaw with a awesome day too, top 25. Bummed to see neko off the pace, was hoping that he would take the next step after some really strong finishes the last two years. American Nesteroff with a 3rd place finish in the juniors, I think this is his first time out in the wc circus. Too bad no windham wc this year....:(

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I have seen video of gwin on a Moto and he rips. For real. I am always curious how other MXer and tough enduro guys would fair. Clearly Gwin is a natural talent, but the years on the mx bike makes a DH bike feel more comfortable.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was just happy to see this was available on demand on the red bull app on my fire TV. Awesome.

Really really not missing cable at all....

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
What a weird course.

Seemed very tough to film and the long flat section made me wonder if a remote locking rear shock would be an advantage?!

DargSide

What a weird course.

Seemed very tough to film and the long flat section made me wonder if a remote locking rear shock would be an advantage?!
Weird course indeed, not sure how I felt about the quick switch backs at top of course

Ian F

I am always curious how other MXer and tough enduro guys would fair.

Back in 2000 I did the NORBA National at Mt Snow. It was a "wide open" mostly ski-slope course that finished with the Yard Sale section in the woods. The course was fast with a lot of high-speed rock whoops and rough jumps. Totally unlike the tight and technical East Coast (Plattekill & Mtn Creek) courses many of us were used to. I was racing Expert (now Cat 1) 30-34. There were about 50 racers in our class.

The guy who won our class had never raced DH before and was riding a borrowed Avalanche (Cortina-based version) bike. IIRC, he beat second place by over 10 seconds.

The name of this first time racer?

Doug Henry.

Even back then all of the top pros used MX for off-season cross-training. Even more so now. Nothing else will get you used to the speeds you need to go in order to be competitive.

Did anyone else notice that there are FOUR Americans on the first page of the results? Gwin obviously did well (although in the post race interview you could tell he wanted more), but also Luca Shaw and Eliot Jackson put in solid top-20 finishes. Neko did reasonably well too, beating his teammate Brendon Fairclough for a change. Hopefully this will give him the confidence he needs heading to Fort Bill.

Ian F

Yes, about 5 weeks between #2 and #3. I think they do this for a couple of reasons. It allows pros to go home and do some national races. The time off gives some racers time to heal up from injuries. Spreads out the travel costs for the smaller teams and privateers.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I loosely follow DH racing and freeride but Steve Smith was one guy that always stuck out to me. His part in Seasons, circa 2008 (so probably filmed in 2007) was a stand out to see the dedication his mom had behind him. Re-watching it now and hearing the dreams at that time and considering he destroyed the World Cup circuit in 2013; shit hits deep. R.I.P.

Ian F

Yeah... I was literally in tears when I read this Tues evening. Watching him and Gee battle for the title back in 2013 was one of the reasons I got back into DH racing/riding. Fortunately, I was able to meet him and get his signature on my poster at Windham last year. :(

oobaa47

That was great. It would be very fitting and touching if the riders keep the top podium spot vacant for the entire finals and place a chainsaw on it along with a Canadian flag........

oobaa47

Eddie Masters, FTW!!!! what a qualifying run! Bummed be couldn't put it together in the finals. He probably had more adrenaline running thru him than a top ranked bull in the pbr finals. Two real bad slams, just glad to see him walk away............if u didn't get chills when Stevie's turn was up, you're simple not human.......great move by minnear waving the Canadian flag.........oh, and Luca Shaw's run, Beast Coast representing!!

Top Bottom