2016 World Cup DH

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So I am sure those who follow along have already heard that Arron Gwin has signed on to race for YT and new upstart "The YT Mob" race team. Joining him will new to scene Spainish racer and ex moto dude Angel Suarez. YT has has built a nice solid network of riders that include free ride extraordinaire's Cam Zink and Andreu Lacondeguy. Even better is the man running the The YT Mob is none other then ex trek Martin Whiteley which was Gwins director way back when he raced for Trek. That breakup was pretty nasty but those bridges have obviously mended. Looking forward to his upcoming season racing for YT and so stoked to see him leave the evil S.

Solid interview here from vital
http://v.vitalmtb.com/30850/jra-aaron-gwin--vid-30850--uid-2--hd.mp4

oobaa47

This is going to be a great year! So many changes.....Gwin starting on a brand new team, Gee from gt to trek, Loic from lapierre to the big S, Brooks from trek to gt, Wyn to gt, Sam Dale from Saracen to gt, Marc Beaumont to Saracen, and a few younger guns to the big S, and I'm sure a whole bunch of other moves as well..........can't wait!!!!!!

Ian F

I'm looking forward to this season as well. The biggest bummer is no race at Windham this year. :(

In more personal news, I'm placing an order for a new M16C soon. Hopefully this week. :D

Ian F

Once upon a time, the NORBA series was almost as well attended as World Cup races. They were major events in the mountain bike world. Some day I'll research and find out WTF happened... I guess too many others quit at the same time I did back in '03.

But yeah... it's a European run series, so most of the races will be in Europe. MSA has become and institution of a race, so I doubt that race will ever leave the schedule - many of the current racers weren't even born when that race was added to the series. However, it seems they are trying to alternate the Aussie, South Africa and USA races. Personally, I think there should be more races total, but that may be financially beyond what many of the smaller teams/racers could handle. I wouldn't be surprised to see a drop in attendance at MSA this year because of the Windham race being cut. It was easier for smaller teams to justify the costs when they could do two races for not much more money than one.

Hopefully the race at Windham will return in 2017. I got the impression the locals were pleased with the economic impact and wanted it to continue.

Last edited:

grumner80

I get that it's European run, but it's still a WORLD cup, IMO they should spread it out. I was looking at some of the places this year and a lot of them are relatively close to each other; if the stages were ordered just a little differently the majority of the season would look like a European tour trip. Just frustrates me a little because we have SO many mountains and awesome places to ride and race, but the world isn't able to see it. Kind of wish it was back to the older days when they raced in Colorado, and California. ...If only :(

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
As @Ian F said the glory days have come and gone.
When NORBA was around you were able to hit a solid 3 nationals
Mount Snow
Snowshoe
Seven Springs
Then you had the Plattekill series
Plus the New England/NYS (forgot what it was called)
Anyone remember the gore mountain puker.
Obviously the nationals were like festivals but you could race almost every weekend.

Ian F

In a way, the glory days are back - at least at the amateur level. Between the two Eastern States Cup series (15 races!) and the 5 Gravity East Series races, someone in the northeast (and willing to drive a bit) can race DH damn near every weekend from May to September. Right now, I'm planning to focus on the New England series, which are 8 races from 6/12 through 8/21, plus the combined finals at Plattekill on 10/9. I also hope to make it to a few of the ESC regular seriesraces, mainly at Blue Mtn and Mtn Creek since I can do those from home in PA.

The GES dates have been posted, but not the venues yet. Historically, those have been farther south and in WV, so I may not get to many of those other than Blue Mtn if that happens again.

On weekends when I'm not racing, Highland is about an hour away. :p

I need to start training... :(

Last edited:

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ooops. Stumbled in here looking for soccer girls in bikinis.
Carry on.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Gwinning
It's his pressure on the others that makes for exciting racing. Such a shame for Loci as he just let it all hang out.Also great to see Stevie smith on the podium.

Top Bottom