2016 Singlespeed-A-Palooza Thread

Dominique

Team MTBNJ Halter's
lso, it looks like you had a 44t chain ring, but your picture seems to indicate that you decided to keep your gearing a secret. I recall @1sh0t1b33r was going to run 44/12. lol.

Lol. I didn't keep my gearing a secret, I'm just a Newbie who has no clue about these things! George told me it was 32:21.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Loved the recap D...nice work on the race!

I dont think the gearing was a secret...it was more "um...we dont really know what this is" 46T belt cog in the front...rear...no idea...looked like it was twenty something but I didnt count.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Loved the recap D...nice work on the race!

I dont think the gearing was a secret...it was more "um...we dont really know what this is" 46T belt cog in the front...rear...no idea...looked like it was twenty something but I didnt count.

Spot would build that with a 28t, which yields a gain ratio about the same as 33:20 (and slightly less than a 32:19.) That's a pretty spinny-gearing for a place like Stewart.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@jackx Belt drives have different tooth counts since they don't run a chain. The diameter of the rings is what matters, and those diameters were probably equivalent to a 32/21 in this case.

I ran a 32/21 for this. I'm more of a spinner than a masher and my goal was to also finish as it was my first time at SSaP. I figured that with a spinnier gear I could spin it back home when I died. It worked out well for the most part. I survived, and even passed a few guys who were standing on the climbs while I spun by seated. Next year I'll probably run 32/20 or 32/19 for some more flat speed, unless I get @UtahJoe -strong before then.

While I'm here, I guess a short recap? My plan was to ride with @jmanic the whole race since we had a similar goal in mind. I started with the NY class since I'm a New Yorker and didn't know that we'd be 3 minutes apart, so I figured I'd ride for a while and stop somewhere for Mr. Manic. I also notice that I was closer towards the front of the starting pack. I didn't want to be here because of my gearing, but whatever. The horn goes off and I start hamstering. Before the singletrack, I notice I only get passed by maybe 5 or 6 guys because of the flat road grind and spinning out. I think to myself cool, let's keep this going and see how long I can stay ahead, but I'm also thinking of pulling over to wait for Jmanic. I decide to keep on it and see how long I can keep position.

I'm doing pretty well trough Schofield and Maple, keeping pace and/or passing guys on the climbs, lose a spot or two on the road flats again. Eventually we get to mud slide hill and everyone starts walking. I watch two or three fatbikes inching their way up, but still pedaling! Somewhere on Buchanan @extremedave hooks up with me, so we talk for a minute while hiking our bikes, then he's gone once we remount.

I don't remember much of the race between there and Major Mikes because it's fairly boring out that way and I rarely ride it myself. Mike's climb again is great with my gears. See a guy fixing his bike in a bush, I think his chain just came off the front. Two more guys walking up that little uphill before it levels out. Eventually I run into a mystery man, in camo, crouching in the woods, taking photos. At first I have no idea who it is until I look over at the bike! Hey, it's @gtluke! I brought him a PB&J sandwich as promised, and use this opportunity to hang out and wait for Jmanic and @JimN to show up. @Shoogs deops by and offers me some Whiskey. How could I say no? Looking at the photos, I think around 50 people passed by while we were hanging out with Luke. This would have put me around midpack if I could even keep that effort for another ~15 miles after this point.

For the next 10 miles or so, Jmanic, Jim and I ripped some sweet singletrack together. I PR'd Camp trail which is one of my favorites in the park. Drakes to Beaver is always fun too. After a little pit stop for M&M's and Pretzels, we take off up Sisters. I know I can make this climb so we take off and don't really look back. At some point Jim gets in front and I try to keep him in my sights for the rest of the day.

Bastard climb is one that I knew I'd be walking for sure. I didn't even attrmpt it so I didn't completely kill myself since there were 5-6 miles left, I think? At this point Jim was about 30 seconds ahead and I see him pedaling the crest as I'm just about to dismount and walk.

The rest of the race was just a final push for me to finish through the pain. Some more fun singletrack and then a long stretch of road to the finish. I see the Start/Finish sign ahead and Jim about 45 seconds ahead. I spin it home and immediately join the food line.

My legs seemed ok, but my upper body, especially arms, were in pain since about mile 10 or so. I'm sure not riding rigid much had something to do with it, along with just having a weak upper body overall. Time to put that to work I think.

Thanks to Dark Horse for a fun course and tons of good food.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@jackx Belt drives have different tooth counts since they don't run a chain. The diameter of the rings is what matters, and those diameters were probably equivalent to a 32/21 in this case.

I ran a 32/21 for this. I'm more of a spinner than a masher and my goal was to also finish as it was my first time at SSaP. I figured that with a spinnier gear I could spin it back home when I died. It worked out well for the most part. I survived, and even passed a few guys who were standing on the climbs while I spun by seated. Next year I'll probably run 32/20 or 32/19 for some more flat speed, unless I get @UtahJoe -strong before then.

While I'm here, I guess a short recap? My plan was to ride with @jmanic the whole race since we had a similar goal in mind. I started with the NY class since I'm a New Yorker and didn't know that we'd be 3 minutes apart, so I figured I'd ride for a while and stop somewhere for Mr. Manic. I also notice that I was closer towards the front of the starting pack. I didn't want to be here because of my gearing, but whatever. The horn goes off and I start hamstering. Before the singletrack, I notice I only get passed by maybe 5 or 6 guys because of the flat road grind and spinning out. I think to myself cool, let's keep this going and see how long I can stay ahead, but I'm also thinking of pulling over to wait for Jmanic. I decide to keep on it and see how long I can keep position.

I'm doing pretty well trough Schofield and Maple, keeping pace and/or passing guys on the climbs, lose a spot or two on the road flats again. Eventually we get to mud slide hill and everyone starts walking. I watch two or three fatbikes inching their way up, but still pedaling! Somewhere on Buchanan @extremedave hooks up with me, so we talk for a minute while hiking our bikes, then he's gone once we remount.

I don't remember much of the race between there and Major Mikes because it's fairly boring out that way and I rarely ride it myself. Mike's climb again is great with my gears. See a guy fixing his bike in a bush, I think his chain just came off the front. Two more guys walking up that little uphill before it levels out. Eventually I run into a mystery man, in camo, crouching in the woods, taking photos. At first I have no idea who it is until I look over at the bike! Hey, it's @gtluke! I brought him a PB&J sandwich as promised, and use this opportunity to hang out and wait for Jmanic and @JimN to show up. @Shoogs deops by and offers me some Whiskey. How could I say no? Looking at the photos, I think around 50 people passed by while we were hanging out with Luke. This would have put me around midpack if I could even keep that effort for another ~15 miles after this point.

For the next 10 miles or so, Jmanic, Jim and I ripped some sweet singletrack together. I PR'd Camp trail which is one of my favorites in the park. Drakes to Beaver is always fun too. After a little pit stop for M&M's and Pretzels, we take off up Sisters. I know I can make this climb so we take off and don't really look back. At some point Jim gets in front and I try to keep him in my sights for the rest of the day.

Bastard climb is one that I knew I'd be walking for sure. I didn't even attrmpt it so I didn't completely kill myself since there were 5-6 miles left, I think? At this point Jim was about 30 seconds ahead and I see him pedaling the crest as I'm just about to dismount and walk.

The rest of the race was just a final push for me to finish through the pain. Some more fun singletrack and then a long stretch of road to the finish. I see the Start/Finish sign ahead and Jim about 45 seconds ahead. I spin it home and immediately join the food line.

My legs seemed ok, but my upper body, especially arms, were in pain since about mile 10 or so. I'm sure not riding rigid much had something to do with it, along with just having a weak upper body overall. Time to put that to work I think.

Thanks to Dark Horse for a fun course and tons of good food.
Nice job out there, and thanks for keeping me company for the middle stretch. You're gonna do well next year!
Ultimately were you happy with the 21?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nice job out there, and thanks for keeping me company for the middle stretch. You're gonna do well next year!
Ultimately were you happy with the 21?
Definitely, but I feel like I could have just as easily ran a 20T and wish I did. I'll probably run that next year, and on the FS for the comfort since my upper body was shot.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@jackx

I was still in batshit-race mode right then. It was "oh hey I gotta get off and run wait there's a jersey oh it's Maciej hi Maciej oh look fatbikes GO fatbikes! hey those guys I was racing are pulling away shit get on and pedal bye Maciej!"
Something like that. :D

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
upload_2016-7-15_15-35-6.png
Iggy Before and after. Looks the same.
upload_2016-7-15_15-34-21.png

Top Bottom