2016 gravity season

Ian F

It's funny... I was more concerned about course #2 with it's long, steep rock section, but that was the course I made time on. After run #1, I was 4th out of 7 in my class (40-49 Cat 2/3). After run #2 I jumped up to 2nd. Still over 20 sec behind the winner and over 30 sec behind last place in Cat 1, so I have work to do.

Will probably do Thunder Mtn now. 2.5 hrs away from my apt here in NH, and mostly a toll road, so I may look for a hotel room near the venue for Sat night.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
We hit Blue today and conditions were perfect. Thanks to @JimN we were able to bring my sons friend. Jim your gonna have a hard time prying that bike back from my son.
Did a few race course runs then hit everything in the park. Everybody stayed upright and fun was had.

njkayaker

Bear visiting creek today checking out the DH action.
Screen Shot 2016-06-18 at 1.13.29 PM.jpg

Ian F

Anymore, if I go to Mtn Creek and don't see a bear, I'm disappointed. I saw a bear during one of my fun runs at Thunder Mtn in MA today.

Speaking of...

Thunder Mtn Bike Park at Berkshire East resort. Nice place. Tons of potential and some really great trails. Management has invested no small amount of money into the place. It does have a distinct "Gravity Logic" feel (one trail there "The Gronk" rides exactly like "Wilderness Roll" at Windham), but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's a flowing jump trail that makes even the most whimpy jumper (like myself) feel like a hero. There is also a new, bigger jump trail more along the lines of Dominion at Creek, although I didn't ride it. I used Gronk as a sort of warm-up or cool-down from the race course - a steep trail called The Schist. There are more. Quite a few more.

In other news, the next race in two weeks is at Killington and apparently the management there is working at building the mountain into "Whistler of the East".

It's a good time to be a DH rider. :)

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Tried to race twilight DH series at creek tonight, but mother nature had other plans. In my best Arnold voice I'll be back.

Screw the bears I'm petrified of a groundhog that lives near bottom of alpine , tonight made three close calls of almost running that little guy over.

Got to hang with @Robin and Dillon V

Attachments

• 20160728_173823.jpg
    20160728_173823.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 177

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Tried to race twilight DH series at creek tonight, but mother nature had other plans. In my best Arnold voice I'll be back.

Screw the bears I'm petrified of a groundhog that lives near bottom of alpine , tonight made three close calls of almost running that little guy over.

Got to hang with @Robin and Dillon V

That helmet makes you look like you're doing duckface.

njkayaker

I decided to switch from my flats to clips. Shimano DX and five ten hellcats. Today will be my first day out with the setup. anytime I ever have come close to crashing it has been from losing my foot off the bike hitting a jump to hard. i can go back and forth depending on conditions.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I decided to switch from my flats to clips. Shimano DX and five ten hellcats. Today will be my first day out with the setup. anytime I ever have come close to crashing it has been from losing my foot off the bike hitting a jump to hard. i can go back and forth depending on conditions.
same here tried a couple different setups for gravity riding but shimano DX with 5.10 kestrel lace checked all my boxes

njkayaker

love being clipped in. so much easier to bunny hop and pull up. i can hop over tables so much easier. easier for me to move the bike around in the air. just seems much more playful. been looking at others setup and seems like everyone at Creek at least is using flats

Ian F

It varies for me. It used to be, "clips at Plattekill. flats at Mtn Creek." Mainly because the rocks at Mtn Creek can be very unforgiving and if you have to dab or stop on the trail it's easier to get going again with flats. With Plattekill, I found it easier to "shale surf" with clips. I mainly like clips on trails that are fast and rough as they keep my feet on the pedals.

Jumping for me is odd. In some ways, you're right - it can feel easier to get over table jumps with clips. But then when I go back to flats I realize I use the clips as a crutch for bad technique. After I get used to it again, I realize I have more control over the bike jumping with flats - it's all in the hands and wrists. That said, I cut my teeth jumping on my BMX bike as a kid, so the instinctive muscle memory is there. I just have to remind them.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Did anyone even know Okemo had a bike park? News to me and i tend to keep up on these things. This trail looks lame though:
Seems too many of these pop up. Park either commits or doesn't. Blue is a perfect example. Great Mountain, much bigger then Creek yet little commitment. I am disappointed to hear that anybody has been removed from bike ops at creek as they have been doing a fantastic job last bunch a years.

Top Bottom