2015 Race Thread - Inspirational Title

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I like keeping the years separate. It’s funny to see how much things have changed as the year goes by. Winter has been long. Since we last spoke I was pretty mentally beat up after cross. I take that back, I don’t think I was smoked, but I was happy to step away from the bikes on a daily basis. It is so intense that dialing it back and going back to a weekend warrior from The middle of November to the new calendar year was a good move. Once 2015 hit, I was itching to start the process of sharpening the axe. The good thing was I didn’t get fat.

So here we are, 2 weeks away from the Daytona 500 of mountain bike racing. What better time to create the log of races and get some good discussion going. It’s no secret I’ve been hitting the books hard the past 3 months. I have never trained for mountain bike racing up until now, so I really do expect a lot out of myself. Last year was more focused on remodeling bathrooms and kitchens and doing one endurance race. This just led to riding around and going by feel. I had the longest consecutive riding streak (Kevin may disagree if it actually counts) and I learned a lot about my body, recovery, eating, etc. I felt that I got stronger because of it, but I’m really interested to see what a focused approach brings to the table for me.

Apr 12 - SSaP
Apr 19 – MTBNJ Allamuchy
Apr 26 - MASS Bike Line Fair Hill XC
May 3 - H2H Wawayanda XC
May 9 - French Creek XC
May 17 - Jungle?
June 13 - Roth Rock Trail Mix
June 28 - Lewis Morris
July 12 - KVSP?
July 19 - MTBNJ Stewart 45

2015 Goals

- Finish better than 11 minutes behind the winner at SSAP. This was closest finish from 2013. With the longer course this may be more of a stretch, if it was the same course/distance I would have a goal to be under the 11 minute mark. It’s hard to talk about what place you would finish in because you never know who shows up to these things. Not sure if the 32 mile thing plays into my hand or not. Then I have to think about gearing. Oh, gearing. Can’t believe this is in two weeks.

- Crush April. Maybe a little bit of May too. At the end of May we go on a cruise and with a busy April/beginning of May, it will be a perfect time to get away.

- I really can’t wait to get back to Roth Rock. Everyone knows I get all giddy about riding here.

- Besides that, it’s just to race my tail off this year. I have no idea what to expect and who is racing my category. I’ve met some people from the ST race that will be in my category for XC so hopefully they will be around for me to play with.

I will now open the floor for questions

Last edited:

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
FIRST!

Attachments

• upload_2015-3-25_10-48-24.jpeg
    upload_2015-3-25_10-48-24.jpeg
    9.2 KB · Views: 655

jnos

Granogue XC is a good one. Haven't done it in a few years, but the course is a good mix of relatively technical singletrack, easier singletrack, and open fields/fireroads. There is also a tunnel to ride through.

What does the second half of Summer hold in store? Is that prep for 'cross season time?

edit to add: First productive reply.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Six XC races in six consecutive weekends looks pretty stiff to me.

You are young and indestructible, though.

And yes, Granogue is one of the classic venues in our general area. You should race there.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
IMO scrap Fair Hill. It's not uber-different that Granogue and that 6 week string looks too much to me. Of course Granogue is also the day before Stewart and it could be a tough weekend for you to swing. I'd pick just 1 of them. FWIW, I thought Granogue was fine, nothing to get all fired up about. It's nice. That open field climb can SaD though.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The title is "2015 Race Thread - Inspirational Title"? And, training in the winter? I don't even know who you are anymore.

I said it before but based on what I've seen at Short Track this year, you should have a great race season.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
No BS50? That's the best endurance race in NJ. Those trails are so good. You should do it again to see if you can beat last years time.
I'm intrigued by Roth Rock, I've never ridden/raced there. I may have to pencil that one in.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Second half of summer will be sort of an unplug and prep for cross. I’m sure this will get a few boo’s from the crowd, but it is what it is. The calendar doesn’t look too interesting after the end July anyway. Last year I was getting over the W101 hangover when I should have been gearing up. I don’t regret it at all though.

No NUEs this year; I have a feeling I will be on that circuit a tad more next year. I want to see how fast I can get at this XC stuff. I know I have the mental capacity to handle the NUEs and totally loved the vibe. Or was it a Cadre vibe? Probably one of the most fun cycling weekends I’ve ever had.

Six in a row does sound stiff, especially once you see it on the calendar. I don’t think its impossible to feel good through all of these.

Bear Scat Creek is the weekend we get back from vacation, I don’t think cruise ship legs will fair well at either place. Iggy, you would love it. The views, the trails, the everything. Grab the pen, we can sign up together. I’m not sure if it would be camp or hotel situation, as I don’t know who else is going, but yeah. That’s that.

I don't hold the ST results in any sort of seriousness, but I felt really really good. I'm sure everyone else's fitness will catch up soon, maybe I just have a small head start on them?

I should have used the @ signs, maybe next time ;)

JDurk

I don't see Iron Hill on there, 8/2. I recall seeing you there the last couple of seasons.

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I'm embarrassed to admit that I JUST saw your blog. I'm glad you're doing this, especially with a baby on the way. I think every day "how will I do it?"...When the time comes of course.

are you withholding information? :oops:

The Heckler

You bring new meaning to the term SUCK
ugh, I feel like I just planned the CX season.

Where is Roth Rock and tell me of this MTBNJ Allamuchy

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Roth Rock is in State College PA, the Trail Mix Race is a 32 mile endurance event.
p4pb9657161.jpg

0015_baletd_b5a9740_670.jpg

tkBiqyuWAgn739ZHuJHJ.jpg

okay, boner away

Allamuchy MTBNJ race will be the first race of the H2H series son! We will kick it off in style.

Top Bottom