2014 Singlespeed-A-Palooza

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
It was a great event and weather turned out great too. It was nice to see so many peeps killing it out there. This race always gets me in a great mood because its the first real race of the year and the vibe is so cool. Just thinking that another season is now starting and so much more fun is ahead..
I have found that I am slower then last year on the course but that I can now drink more beer faster then last year. So that's a good thing I guess?
Next fun event Dirtfest! See you there....

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nice work George, Rave and the DH crew. Another year, another awesome race. Course was awesome...Food, beer, ice cream, shirts, glasses and of course the party afterwards. Good times!!

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sucks man, I have had an MRI on my shoulder with the contrast fluid, etc....Not fun when they are shoving the giant needle directly into the injured spot. Feel better man.

More recaps! :popcorn:

wonderturtle

my only complaint (if you can call it that).... I would prefer the waterbottle of previous years over the pint glass and t-shirt of this year. my SSPalooza bottles are prized possessions to me while I have far more pint glasses and t-shirts than I need. but, whatever.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I really liked the T-shirt this year. While I do have a lot of T-shirts, this one will be worn frequently because it doesn't suck.

and the beer was good for a local brewery(newburgh). a lot of small breweries lack any distinct taste in their beer, I thought the kegs were pretty good Sunday.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
my only complaint (if you can call it that).... I would prefer the waterbottle of previous years over the pint glass and t-shirt of this year. my SSPalooza bottles are prized possessions to me while I have far more pint glasses and t-shirts than I need. but, whatever.

What happens to the water bottle if you don't finish? Do you only fill it up representative to how much of the course you actually rode or not use it at all?

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
What happens to the water bottle if you don't finish? Do you only fill it up representative to how much of the course you actually rode or not use it at all?

This is an excellent question that needs to be explored in depth.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
images

if you only finish half the course, you only wear 1/2 the shirt?

muniorbust

I'm one of the 11 uni riders. We all appreciate you guys sharing the race with us!
Did having us in front of you guys cause any problems?

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm one of the 11 uni riders. We all appreciate you guys sharing the race with us!

About 30 minutes into my race I started catching you guys...Everyone I passed was awesome and didnt cause any issues as far as I noticed. Schofield must have been fun on 1 wheel :)

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Also...did you happen to make this? I found it entertaining. As it played out, I think it wasnt too far off. As I recall, looking at the map, I passed the first unicycle guy not long after I passed Luke, so at ~1:20 on the map. So mike and ron probably 30-1min before that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VBls8ss9IU

Pampa

Yep, absolutely all the guys/gals in unicycles went out of their way (literally :) ) to let us pass. I have such a bad balance that on the trail I use a Camelback so I don't have to take one hand off the handlebar to get a bottle, so I cannot even imagine how you do this in one wheel. Very impressed :popcorn:

I had no problem with you guys in front of us. It was actually easier and more predictable passing unis than some mountain bikes. Major props to you guys on unis. I actually felt a bit like a ***** for riding 2 wheels. -M

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor

Hell no! You guys where cool. I STILL have no idea how you guys do it..... ;)

Last edited:

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
the only thing that made me mad about the unicycles in front of me was that in the middle of the race, i thought i got past by 5 unicycle riders :p

KUDOS UNIs!

Major props to you guys on unis. I actually felt a bit like a ***** for riding 2 wheels. -M

unicycle riders - making Monte feel like a ***** :p

muniorbust

Schofield must have been fun on 1 wheel :)
Was that the long mud "trail"? On a casual ride that might be fun. At the last leg of a race it was hiking. On a uni, that kind of mud takes like 10x energy.

Also...did you happen to make this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VBls8ss9IU

Yep, I made that video. I'm a computer geek and wanted to know what the passing would be like. The simulation looks worse than the much slower reality. Knowing 250 bikers were hunting me down helped push me too.

Major props to you guys on unis. I actually felt a bit like a ***** for riding 2 wheels. -M
Respect goes both ways. It's not like you guys are just coasting through. Well, maybe sometimes. :p

Good to know we weren't in the way. George started us early so we could finish in a reasonable time so awards could happen and we could get food and drink. Sounds like it worked well for us all.

Top Bottom