September 24
October 15
October 29
November 5
November 19

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks for the listing Mike. Will be ar Hartshorne in april...any chance for a few more sessions there as season progresses?

Brian

Thanks for the listing Mike. Will be ar Hartshorne in april...any chance for a few more sessions there as season progresses?

Brian

It will have to come from the Park supervisor and he will let melissa know if he can get the day and date set, once its oked then Melissa will email blast everyone, I am hoping for a few more dates at Hartshorne woods myself..As always if I hear anything ill post up.

Thanks
Mike

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hoping for a major trail work day that day, rest assure ill make in known we are thier to do some serious re-work and sustainable trail fixes..

M.

I'll put in a good word with Ken beforehand as well. It would be nice to use your skills Mike.

I'll put in a good word with Ken beforehand as well. It would be nice to use your skills Mike.

Ahhh just tell Ken T ill be thier and all will be fine :D him and i have worked together for 20 years..ill even drop him and Email and say "i have something in mind"

don

Hoping for a major trail work day that day, rest assure ill make in known we are thier to do some serious re-work and sustainable trail fixes..

M.

I will put April 9th on the calendar and try like hell to get over for it. Would love to help in some serious re-work and sustainable trail fixes.

Harshorne april 9..parking location change

FYI EVERYONE.. CHANGE OF PARKING.. LOOKS LIKE SOME GOOD TRAIL WORK TO BE DONE....

MIKE..

Hi Trails Team!

I have great news! This Saturday, April 9th, the Trails Team will be working on Laurel Ridge by Buttermilk Valley. Typically, we have parked up at Rocky Point, and hiked down. But, Park Manager has asked that we park at the Claypit Creek section of Hartshorne. You will have the opportunity to see one of the newer, less known areas of Hartshorne Woods!

A Park System shuttle will be provided from Claypit Creek to Buttermilk Valley for Saturday's TM session.

If you have not yet done so, please contact me if you are planning to attend, so we can prepare.

Directions are listed below.

Claypit Creek Section
• Garden State Parkway to Exit 109. Southbound, turn left onto Rt. 520. Take jughandle for Half Mile Rd; northbound, go straight at exit. Follow Half Mile Rd. to end. Turn right at traffic light onto East Front St. Follow East Front St. to Hubbard Ave. Turn left onto Hubbard Ave. and follow (.6 mile) to Navesink River Rd. Turn right onto Navesink River Rd.and continue as it turns into Locust Pointe Road. Turn right onto Locust Ave. Entrance on the right.
• State Hwy. 35 to Navesink River Rd. (north of Cooper Avenue Bridge, Red Bank.) Northbound, turn right. Southbound, use jughandle to make left turn. Travel east and continue as it turns into Locust Pointe Road. Turn right onto Locust Ave. Entrance on the right. Look for signs "Park System Volunteers"

•State Hwy. 36 to Navesink Ave. Southbound turn right, northbound use jughandle for Locust/Navesink Ave. Follow past entrance to Buttermilk Valley. You will come to a 5 way intersection. Head straight towards the Clay Pit Creek Bridge. The entrance will be on your left before you cross the bridge. Look for sign "Park System Volunteers"

Hope to see you on Saturday!
Best wishes,

Melissa

Melissa Kelly

Coordinator of Volunteers

Monmouth County Park System

805 Newman Springs Road

Lincroft, NJ 07738

(732) 842-4000 X 4283

Fax: (732) 842-4558

www.monmouthcountyparks.com

mkelly@monmouthcountyparks.com

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm in for the TM tomorrow at 9am! I managed to get the wknd off from the Park System, so now I can go volunteer for the Park System...and this is a good thing.

All you folks that went to training about a month ago now get the opportunity to have at it on the trails, dig it baby.

See you in the morning Mike, at the Claypit lot.

Claypit Creek Section
• Garden State Parkway to Exit 109. Southbound, turn left onto Rt. 520. Take jughandle for Half Mile Rd; northbound, go straight at exit. Follow Half Mile Rd. to end. Turn right at traffic light onto East Front St. Follow East Front St. to Hubbard Ave. Turn left onto Hubbard Ave. and follow (.6 mile) to Navesink River Rd. Turn right onto Navesink River Rd.and continue as it turns into Locust Pointe Road. Turn right onto Locust Ave. Entrance on the right.
• State Hwy. 35 to Navesink River Rd. (north of Cooper Avenue Bridge, Red Bank.) Northbound, turn right. Southbound, use jughandle to make left turn. Travel east and continue as it turns into Locust Pointe Road. Turn right onto Locust Ave. Entrance on the right. Look for signs "Park System Volunteers"

•State Hwy. 36 to Navesink Ave. Southbound turn right, northbound use jughandle for Locust/Navesink Ave. Follow past entrance to Buttermilk Valley. You will come to a 5 way intersection. Head straight towards the Clay Pit Creek Bridge. The entrance will be on your left before you cross the bridge. Look for sign "Park System Volunteers"

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
We had a nice turnout for trail maintenance on Saturday 4/9, over 30 people. Mike Flatley did a great job providing leadership and know-how to improve the climb up Laurel Ridge out of the Buttermilk parking lot.

Following the lead of the Park System manager we had to repair and install more water bars. While water bars are not the most efficient means of moving water off the trail, for the sake of working together and staying positive Mike did a great job to mobilize the crew to get the task done.

Me, Don and Brian(rotten) worked on installing nicks to carry water off the trail as well. As usual Don did the work of 5 men. You know a guy means business when he shows up to a TM with his own shovels and wheel barrow.

Team members at this session included: Tom McColgan, Patricia Marinello, Jim Baye, Carlo Romano, Caroline Rodgers, Al McNamara, Dan Hart, Jeff Shepard, Patrick Ruane, Pam Carlsen, Gerry Lingner, Werner Aehlich, Don Bunnell, Bill Murphy, Vince Bruno, David Wong, Chris Brawley, Brian Ruane, Rio Romano, John Kilduff, Lee Andersen, Eric Dalton, Jim Henry, Mike Flatley, James Moller, Harden Fowler, Eileen Murphy, Mandy Hintelmann, Ivan Romano, Jay Schaeffer, Laura Hayes, and Keith Wigginton

Thanks everybody.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hi Chris,

It was a great turnout! It was great to meet you and hang with Don again while giving a little love back to the park...will have to check out how it fared after the deluge last night. You also just reminded me a I need to send my paydirt form to MF b/c I forgot to bring it with me.

Good luck this weekend at SSaP!

Brian

don

Iggy and Brian - good digging with you guys again and as always it was a pleasure. We got a decent amount of work done on those "exits" and "steps". There was another mtbnj board member who was helping me out a bunch - I think his name is Dave. Said he lurks but doesn't post too much. Maybe he will pop a post in.

Thanks to Mike for putting things together. 30 people are a lot to instruct/direct and he did a great job working with everyone.

It was kinda funny - one of the leaders went by asking what we were doing so I tell him "cutting thru this mound so water can exit down the hill". (Mike and I had just laid out a plan to do the right job on this channel section). His response was - "that'll take you an hour plus" in a "why bother" tone. Well, I think with the four of us we got 2 done in half that time and had material to buff out the main trail. Even if it took a full 3 hours of the TM it was the right thing to do on that section.

Iggy you are too kind but about the amount of work I did - the real animals were those guys pushing wheelbarrow loads up that trail. :eek: I did a few and was toast. Trail looked pretty good when we left - the real test will be to see how it held from the pour we had the other night. I'll try to get a stop in either today or tomorrow to size up the trail.

And yeah, I'm not too into the water bar mentality either but it's necessary right now. Your idea of a bench cut properly routed ribbon of trail to the side of what we were working on is great. Along with the 1x/month TM over there. I think we are making some progress over at Hart's TM - can't wait for the day to build some really good trail in there. Little by little...

don

I got a quick walk over on the trail we did work on today with my youngest son and our dogs. Overall the trail work held up great. I was expecting worse conditions considering how much rain was coming down the other day and that the dirt was still fresh.

The knicks/exit ramps that we did look like they did their job. Right next to them on the trail was smooth but where they dumped off the trail I noticed runnels from what I imagine was a lot of water dumping out.

Iggy - that last kinck you did on the very end of the TM line worked great as well as the one Neil (I think that's his name) started and I gave a little bit of a hand on.

I wish I could say the same on those 2 last waterbars and a couple on the main section of reworked trail. Even after one storm there was some runnels and more of the log exposed than on Saturday. I remember hearing Iggy explain to someone what will happen with a waterbar with a waterfall/edge of a roof during a rainstorm comparison. Sure enough I could see it starting on the ones that were put in.

Not too mention the waterbars throwing off the overall flow of the trail. Now I'll ride anything but I'm worried about the closeness of the knicks and the waterbars especially in a few months when the logs will be more exposed. Coming down hill it could provide a bit of a hole to grab someones front wheel.

I have no clue why there is so much love for the waterbars at Hart but man it doesn't seem like it works as well as they think. I feel bad harshing on someones work but anyone who knows what I build will knows I'm critical as hell to what I build. If something doesn't work I'll tear it down and do it again until it does (I can't keep track of how many lips or landings I've moved after many hours of shaping them out the 1st time).

I would love to see Laurel Ridge get dialed in - it's a really nice piece that could be pretty amazing trail with some thoughtful work - lets just skip cutting log water bars :)

Frank

Sasquatch
I have no clue why there is so much love for the waterbars at Hart but man it doesn't seem like it works as well as they think. - lets just skip cutting log water bars :)

I've wondered about that too Don. We tried to change their love for water bars years ago but they don't want to change. Perhaps it's due to their insurance carrier???

don

I've wondered about that too Don. We tried to change their love for water bars years ago but they don't want to change. Perhaps it's due to their insurance carrier???

Yea, you guys came in and did a steller job not using waterbars. Could be right about the insurance carrier but it doesn't make sense as they cause more potential damage than not. But what do I know...

Frank

Sasquatch
Yea, you guys came in and did a steller job not using waterbars. Could be right about the insurance carrier but it doesn't make sense as they cause more potential damage than not. But what do I know...

The trick to get waterbars to function is to use them in side slope conditions only. A water bar is supposed to be installed so that the inslope portion of the tread has no exposed bar, and the outsloped section has exposed bar....provided that there is at least a 5 degree outslope too. They always fail when used on the fall line.

I still prefer Nicks.

Last edited:

tvr93x

Iggy and Brian - good digging with you guys again and as always it was a pleasure. We got a decent amount of work done on those "exits" and "steps". There was another mtbnj board member who was helping me out a bunch - I think his name is Dave. Said he lurks but doesn't post too much. Maybe he will pop a post in.

Hey Don, Dave here :)

It was nice working with you and everyone else here, it was a lot of hard work but it was worth the effort. I am glad to hear what we did is working out.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions