2000 KHS Flite 500 (Reynolds 520) $150

Steve H

image4.JPG
image2.JPG
image3.JPG
image5.JPG
Hi Again,
Trying to unload all my bikes so I can turn around and buy a proper mountain bike from you nice people without pissing off my wife. Anyway, this is a KHS Flite 500 from the year 2000. A nice road bike for the day, obviously ancient technology now, but with the Reynolds steel and these Schwalbe Marathons, I have spent some very long, very comfortable days wandering around the countryside on this thing.

FULL DISCLOSURE: An elderly gentleman drove into my front wheel while I was sitting at a red light on this bike last weekend. He was taking a left turn towards me, took it very shallow crossing over the box where I was waiting, and just drove right into me. He said he didn't see me, and of course, proceeded to yell at me for being in the road. Anyway, the front wheel was destroyed. I was thrown back a few feet, but not injured, and actually didn't even drop the bike. I took it to a shop for an inspection and estimate, and was told that obviously the front wheel was a loss, and that although it looked fine (no cracks, bends, wrinkles, etc.) they "didn't trust the fork." The frame was deemed completely fine after their thorough inspection. I replaced the wheel with a spare I had, and have ridden the bike several miles since. It tracks completely straight, doesn't vibrate or anything, behaves normally under hard braking - basically feels exactly the same as it did before. I trust the fork, but obviously I want you to be fully aware of that history...

Anyway here are some specs:
54cm frame
2x9
105 shifter/levers with 105 rear derailler
Tiagra front derailler and crankset
Originally came with a Rolf Vector wheelset, which likely imploded before I bought the bike off ebay a few years ago. It now has a mismatched Matrix rear/Alexrims Ace19 front. The rear wheel was serviced at Wheelfine Imports in West Amwell, NJ in the Spring. The front came off a Specialized Tricross and was sitting in my basement before the accident.
Tiagra brakes with new Shimano PTFE cables and housing. I bought new Ultegra shifter cable and housing at the same time, but haven't replaced those yet, as the bike shifts perfectly. The new cable will come with the bike.
100mm Nitto Pearl 9 Stem - some might find this too short, but it made the bike feel perfect for me (5'10", 32" inseam). You could flip it easily and recoup a good chunk of the purchase price if you have another quill laying around.
Fizik Arione Saddle
Cinelli Groove handlebars with new Cinelli cork tape
Schwalbe Marathon 700x25c tires
Bike will come with the SPD's pictured (brand unknown)

That's about all I have to say about it. I hope the story doesn't completely turn off any potential buyers, but I totally understand if it does. After being hit for the third time in my life, and realizing how dumb/sad/honestly unsurprising it would be if I died because of another distracted driver, I've decided to be done with road riding. Otherwise I would be keeping and continuing to ride this bike. If you have questions or want me to send you more specs/detailed frame measurements or something, let me know. Thanks!

qclabrat

another handsome bike, 5 years ago I would have bought your lot
now I've sold off most of my road bikes as well but kept 2-3 steel bikes

KHS bikes are very well made and brazed in high end Taiwanese shops
good to hear you didn't get injured, good luck with the sale

Steve H

another handsome bike, 5 years ago I would have bought your lot
now I've sold off most of my road bikes as well but kept 2-3 steel bikes

KHS bikes are very well made and brazed in high end Taiwanese shops
good to hear you didn't get injured, good luck with the sale

Thank you so much for the comment qclabrat. I too am a steel fanatic, and hope to move close to a rail-trail or bike path some day so I can buy another bike like this one and enjoy it safely. For now though, it's going to be singletrack only for me. At least my wife will be very happy I am off the road, and down to one bike! Thanks again.

Top Bottom