1983 Jeep Scrambler CJ8

don

1983 Jeep Scrambler Project

258 Inline 6 cylinder
5 speed gearbox
Soft top on it now
Hardtop available

Body is very rusty - would need a new tub and windscreen frame and tailgate
Frame is pretty solid from what I can see. I found a couple of spots that need some repair but very doable.
I've had the engine running off a separate container but that was 2 years ago. It turns over fine.

$2,000

IMG_0829.JPGIMG_0823.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0815.JPG
    IMG_0815.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0816.JPG
    IMG_0816.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0818.JPG
    IMG_0818.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0826.JPG
    IMG_0826.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0827.JPG
    IMG_0827.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 67
really cool project. Shame it is so rusty

I remember that they would be rusty not long after they were new esepcially in the north east. The great thing about the Jeep's is you can get a steel tub and all the parts very easily. One way of thinking on rustier rebuilds is you may not feel tied to keeping it original. A 4.0 liter, LS, 4BT, OM617 or that R2.8 (drool) swap would be pretty straight forward especially when it's down to frame. Here are R2.8 mounts for for CJ's for example: https://www.farmstronginc.com/product-page/cummins-r2-8-repower-jeep-cj-conversion-engine-mounts

I was going to strip it down to bare frame and then build it back up but I just bought a Land Rover 90 that needs a full rebuild too. I'm way more into the Land Rover scene so that will be an easier build for me as I already did a 110. But for most people this Scrambler wouldn't be a bad project if you know how to turn wrenches and have the time/space. Parts very readily available.

Last edited:
would be a cool build for sure, too bad iv drifted towards the track rather than the trail with my car hobby.

Reactions: don
would be a cool build for sure, too bad iv drifted towards the track rather than the trail with my car hobby.

At some point in my life I'd like to have a fun track car and a solid off road vehicle. Those time, money and space things get in the way tho ;)

Back
Top Bottom