100k fatbike ride

pibbles

I rode yesterday with the Blackrun boys: Jim, Ken,Steve and Dale. We did 100k out of Breden Byrne on Shinns road.
If'n you're looking for a tough ride,this is it. The hardest thing I've ever done was run a marathon. Till I did this.
A 50 years old I was the baby of the group. It started pouring the minute we left,for those of you thinking "you shouldn't ride when trails are muddy" (and I am one of those people), these ain't trails. It's a mix of fire road, moto-x, and fire cuts. They all fill up with water fast,and within 1/2 mile all you could hear was the crunching of sand in rotors and gears.
After the rain stopped we got to enjoy the humidity and the lunch stop came just in time at the halfway point as I had run out of water 3 miles earlier (3 liters). 2 pbjs,gels fresh water and 30 minutes rest had me feeling not even a little bit better,but there was no way I was throwing in the towel. Did I mention this ride was tough? After 10 hrs on the bike (details are foggy on time but my hrm says 11hrs including breaks, it also claims my heart may stopped out of frustration several times) it took me about 30 minutes to ready myself to go home,my knees were screaming, couldn't feel my hands,just wanted to sleep.
I have always considered myself to be fairly resilient ie "tough". These guys are tough. They knew what this ride consisted of and signed up to do it anyway...I guess I'll have to wait till next year to find out if I'm cut from the same cloth...on a side note Thanks to Jim for putting this ride together and everyone who "soft pedaled" while I caught up.

pibbles

Good job! Is this a regular event or something you guys just came up with? Photos?
We all said the same thing about photos at the start. Water and sand got everywhere so my phone stayed in a ziplock. I'll have to rely on those that snapped some photos to post them up. Jim puts this ride on every year along and everyone present that did the first few rides said this was the hardest...

Top Bottom