1 x 10 conversion - spindle gap

bucknejo

After converting my 24mm spindle crank from a 2x to a 1x I noticed a considerable gap on the drive side. Can this be overcome with spacers, and if so, how many is too many?

IMG_0671.JPG

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
After converting my 24mm spindle crank from a 2x to a 1x I noticed a considerable gap on the drive side. Can this be overcome with spacers, and if so, how many is too many?

View attachment 64098
Yes, it can be fixed with spacers but like
Luke said, did you change the cranks? If not, the spacing shouldn’t be different.

If it is spacers, you just need to leave enough room for the arm to grab on too, which will vary per crank design.

bucknejo

Everything make it back on the spindle?

How tight did you make it? 50nm is 1, maybe 2 grunts tight with a 10" wrench.

I didn’t change the cranks, but it’s possible I missed a spacer. What I replaced was an XT 2x spider with a direct mount wolftooth 1x chainring. I need to take a look at that spider to see what if any spacing may have been on it. Maybe that’s the issue? Either way I amazoned some spacers to be sure.

Karate Monkey

Depending on the crank/bottom bracket, there is sometimes a 2-3mm spacer immediately after the chainwheel. But let's step back real quick. You said 24mm? Is it a GXP crank? Those are typically retained in position using a step in the LH side of the axle, no preload/wavy washer.

bucknejo

Yes, I believe it’s 24mm gxp (sram carbon something) fitted into a bb92. The wavy washer was def part of the original setup. I don’t have the spider in front of me, but it was direct mount too and I think it may have had an embedded spacer or something of the like that filled that gap on the spindle. So no it’s not an XT spider as I originally stated. I’ll have to check tonight when I get home.

I think it looks something like this, bot not exactly:

0F0CCABE-4E05-416B-9157-FD933EB38174.jpeg

I appreciate the help so far, will probably need more later

Aresab310

formerly RSabarese
Is it an FSA crankset? I ask because I have one and reached to FSA on something similar. Below is the response I received:
" The waves spring washer should go on the non-drive side and become half compressed when the crank is at torque.

Hope this helps.

Zach Wist"

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I did a lazy 1x conversion on an old Cannondale (basically what you did....just stripped everything else and replaced with a single chain ring) and I have the same gap. I wanted to replace the crappy Octalink BB anyways but decided to just leave the gap and wait for it to die (it's my beater bike)..... unfortunately a year later it's still running fine.

bucknejo

Ok, so the mystery has been solved. When I went to look back at the spider I pulled off, stuck in the middle of the center direct mount opening was a 2mm spacer.

I fit it back in on the drive side and everything now is right as rain.

Thanks to everyone for the help. Maybe now you guys can help talk me into... or out of swapping out my QR rear axle with a 10mm thru axle.

IMG_0678.JPG

gtluke

The Moped
Ok, so the mystery has been solved. When I went to look back at the spider I pulled off, stuck in the middle of the center direct mount opening was a 2mm spacer.

I fit it back in on the drive side and everything now is right as rain.

Thanks to everyone for the help. Maybe now you guys can help talk me into... or out of swapping out my QR rear axle with a 10mm thru axle.

View attachment 64129

What bike are you working on?
A FSR type rear suspension would probably benefit. A hardtail probably not so much.

bucknejo

Hardtail. It’s a vanity upgrade I think, and maybe slightly more convenient to use a DT Swiss ratcheting skewer. I have this setup on my SC full suspension with a DT Swiss 350 rear hub.

Top Bottom