Expanding my Job Network

iman29

Hey All,

It's taking me a lot to post this in a forum where I don't know most of you personally, but aside from all the friendly banter and ball busting associated with cycling, I have had the opportunity to meet some of you in person, and find the group very supportive especially when things in peoples personal lives seem down.

I am posting here to try and expand my professional network and land a new job in the IT world. After an 18+ year run at one of the major Pharma companies in NJ, my position got "relocated" to an offshore/low cost site and now I have been out of work since April 1 (no joke). This is the first time in my 26+ year career I even got laid off, so while it feels embarrassing to a degree, I have to push past that and work hard to expand my connections because as the saying goes, you never know who knows who and I only need one connection to get a break.

Yes, I can ride more often right now but that's not gonna pay the bills. And I am not asking YOU for a job, but maybe a referral to someone you know in the IT world who might know someone else (you get the idea). While I have all the career coaching and outplacement services underway, the #1 thing is still to expand my network and I hope that any of you with some professional connections in the IT world would not mind trying to help me accomplish that.

I prefer not to post my resume here due to personal information security, but my general background is in IT Operations, Service Management and Delivery. If you think you might know someone who might be able help just PM me and we can chat some more or even get the chance to meet some more cool people in this community in person.

Thanks for listening.
ian

stilluf

Keep your chin up! I've been in your position, and I know how hard it is to stay positive. But, please remember, this will pass, you will get another job, it's just a matter of when. In the meanwhile, it's OK to ride more than usual; riding doesn't pay the bills, but it does help with stress and positivity.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm jealous. PM me your resume if you want, and I'll see if I know anyone that might be able to help you out.

Mathers

My sister is in IT at a big company in Morristown. I don't know if she is looking but I can send your resume to her.

If you are interested in working for a small company and in residential AV I can help you. Home networks are a part of all our projects.

iman29

Thanks guys I have gotten such great feedback and PMs here that’s why the cycling community is so great. Cycling is my therapy anyway (even if I am really a roadie / wannabe MTBkr.)

I will be in touch with all of you as soon as I get back in front of my laptop.

Thanks all much appreciated especially the good vibes.

????

iman29

Hey all,

anyone here work at Pfizer or know someone who does? I found an IT role there and applied for it but it always helps to have an internal reference for someone who can help get my resume reviewed by a real person.

PM me if you have any leads or email is ilaudor@hotmail.com.

Thanks all,
ian

iman29

So just a short update since many people replied here and offline to try and help, I felt I owe short update.

Basically the summer went silent on any job leads, but I cured my stress and anxiety with cycling (a lot) and some unplanned but overdue bathroom renovations. While the last few weeks have seen some job leads materializing, they all seem to be on the slow cooker and at this stage wont develop into anything real until January 2020.

So after swallowing some additional humble pie, and the need for putting some cash flow back into the bank account (more like slow the bleeding I guess) starting Monday next week I will be working for UPS as a seasonal package delivery driver until January. I figured it fits the time period and I can use my higher level of fitness to hustle all day and maybe even not have it drop off that much during the holidays.

I have randomly received some messages from people here and on LinkedIn checking in on me, so you know who you are and just wanted to publicly say thanks. Im still looking for my next career step but this is just a short layover I guess until I do, even if it will severely limit my weekly riding time...gotta do what it takes to pay the bills.

Thanks all.
ian

rlb

Just checked my company again, but nothing in IT. Will keep you in mind if I do see something.

And who knows, the UPS gig could lead to the right connection, it's funny how it all works sometimes. Good luck in the search.

iman29

Just checked my company again, but nothing in IT. Will keep you in mind if I do see something.

And who knows, the UPS gig could lead to the right connection, it's funny how it all works sometimes. Good luck in the search.

Thanks a lot. Youre right thats all it takes hoping it works out like that. I'm not known for being shy so being out and about with people to talk to will be a way of networking some more.

Reactions: rlb

iman29

What exactly did you do in IT, I feel like it's really generally used term and I could see what roles for you fit at my company.

If I had to explain it in basic terms, I am working in the part of IT that makes sure internal services (IT Operations) run properly and get delivered according to what people expect. This can take many shapes/forms but generally its around managing technical things and people/vendor things to make sure people can login and get to stuff they need to do their work (IT Service Manager).

I like to compare it to a non-IT example of the Service Manager at the car garage. He (or she) "runs" the service department, assigning jobs to specific mechanics, making sure the inventory is correct, keeping track of budget, interacting with customers and understanding their requests, and at the same time has some previous experience doing some of the tasks or jobs being assigned.

Hope that makes a little more sense. IT is a broad term covering a lot of things, but i have some specific experience just like a person who might be in "construction business" but specializes in kitchens or decks.

RobW

We may be looking for someone in cranbury. If not too far, send me an email address to reach you at.

Top Bottom