Going Long and Hard.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Longest Day prep. Not a lot of info on the ride this year so I'm going back to the oldskool way. Unsupported, unofficial, no frills. My wife is dropping me off in the morning and then I'm on my own all day...

20190611_085421.jpg

Steve Vai

This setup is gonna be pretty dope I reckon. Rode it the last 2 days and it's just enough to get the job done. I'm also going to use a calorie based bottle mix which I'll do for "shorter" events which use few, if any, refuel points. Similar to my fuel strategy during the Cranbury 200k, but I'm curious to see how it works at double the distance.

IMG_20190612_195017_265.jpg
20190612_182625.jpg

Steve Vai

Longest Day.

IMG_20190616_063907_629.jpg

20190615_060821.jpg

Started at the High Point Monument about quarter after 6. Everyone else left at 4 and my plan was to put in a hard top 100 and then hopefully sit in a group for a bit at the bottom.

Hit the first Rest Stop at 80 miles in exactly 4 hours despite a pretty stiff headwind. Just after 100 miles I caught the 1st 2 guys. I planned on sitting in for a bit and then going off on my own but the wind was brutal on the bottom. We had to work in a group to make it through, and technically I was over 2 hours ahead so I just had to sit with them for FTD.

About 50 miles to go one of the guys decided to go off the front. His friend was dying so I decided to pull him to the finish and not chase. In the end he only got to the lighthouse a few minutes before us anyway.

IMG_20190615_204743_719.jpg

All in all it was just a good training day and I made a couple new friends. Averaged just over 19mph moving despite the wind but we spent quite a bit of time off the bike at rest points so overall it was a 13+ hour day.

Englewood 400k is up next. Keeping the momentum up for PBP.

Mahnken

I hear you do not need to charge cables...just sayin'. I have too many electronic gizmos to charge as it is.

SRAM thought of that and they know some people will forget to charge it. That's why there are hidden ports for their spare "ready cable". Just keep the small cable in your saddle bag or wherever and when the battery dies, you attach it to the derailleur and shifter and throw some temporary zip ties on to hold it in place. The cable has tiny batteries built into it that'll double your battery length to get you through the ride and back home with no issues.

They also have a mini stick on power cell you can connect to harness the power of the sun and it'll charge while you ride, thus you'll never need to charge them. You just connect the small wire to the hidden ports on either the derailleur or shifter that is connected to the solar cell sticker, then you simply wrap the sticker around your handle bars or chain stays and BAM! Done. Never worry about it again.

Top Bottom