**The Official Fred-ish Thread**

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
True. It feels slower than I thought it would. Can anyone that rides a road bike tell me how that speed feels. I have to imagine it’s a different experience all together.

On a “good” winding road it’s like the first lap on a recently zambonied sheet of ice which for me is as close to my vision of heaven as anything I’ve encountered.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
True. It feels slower than I thought it would. Can anyone that rides a road bike tell me how that speed feels. I have to imagine it’s a different experience all together.
Not trying to take anything away from you.... but could it be a strava goof like mine?
Cuz there is no way I could have hit 56mph on 8ave around the PABT area.... or any other place for that matter
Capture.JPG

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Not trying to take anything away from you.... but could it be a strava goof like mine?
Cuz there is no way I could have hit 56mph on 8ave around the PABT area.... or any other place for that matter
View attachment 93743

A 30 pound fat bike is not a big deal as it essentially feels like a motor cycle(like what @grilledcheeseking said). I was interested to know what it feels like on a 16 pound road bike. Reactions range from fun to terrifying. Think I will stick to off road as it appears safer

JDurk

Can anyone that rides a road bike tell me how that speed feels. I have to imagine it’s a different experience all together.

It feels awesome. I only dabble on the road, but this was during the bike leg of Ironman Lake Placid 70.3 in '17 on the descent from L.P. to Keene. Couldn't get the bike to go any faster. Did have to deal with other racers on the course. At that speed there was no way "on your left" could be heard. Don't remember being passed by anyone.

1556196192541.png

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
A 30 pound fat bike is not a big deal as it essentially feels like a motor cycle(like what @grilledcheeseking said). I was interested to know what it feels like on a 16 pound road bike. Reactions range from fun to terrifying. Think I will stick to off road as it appears safer
To me, skinny wheels with high psi at high speeds is scary AF because you feel every little bump. You go over a pebble and you feel it.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
I feels awesome. I only dabble on the road, but this was during the bike leg of Ironman Lake Placid 70.3 in '17 on the descent from L.P. to Keene. Couldn't get the bike to go any faster. Did have to deal with other racers on the course. At that speed there was no way "on your left" could be heard. Don't remember being passed by anyone.

View attachment 93744
At first I thought your speed was 70.3 mph before reading the paragraph ?

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
To me, skinny wheels with high psi at high speeds is scary AF because you feel every little bump. You go over a pebble and you feel it.

I run between 8-12psi on pavement with the fatty. What range do people run on a narrow road bike tire?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
IOW, somewhere you never heard of and will never ride. What's the fastest you've hit in the sourlands area?
It is very close to the river and a good route to cross at New Hope and back to NJ at Washington Cross.

Federal Twist is probably the fastest descent in our area, straight shot like Amwell bump.

I hit 55 on it on this day https://www.strava.com/activities/15858551, however could be some GPS weirdness on that one. But it definitely an over 50 one, like here: https://www.strava.com/activities/1275502868/ One thing about this segment is that it is just hold on an dont die, woods right along the side of the road, so if a deer jumps, your basically dead.

The sourlands aren't steep and hard to get over 45, unless you with a group.

Skinny tires are way more predictable at speed, bigger tires can start to get some float at lower psi's

Top Bottom