Round Valley Conditions

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
we were just there on Sunday, conditions were great, no water issues
I was there 3 times in 6 days, including Sunday. The area before and after the road is a mud pit and deep. It was like that all 3 times. The other problem spots were on the fireroad, closer to the parking lot. Wet and semi-muddy but they are usually like that after any rain.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
it really needs a trench down the side, and a pipe at the cross over point....nice life scout project. who knows a scout???
Can the scouts can use heavy equipment? They are trenched on the lower side. Vegetation and cupping are the issues and even if fixed, it's just a band-aid. It's all fall line from top to bottom. A few grade reversals would slove the problem.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
it really needs a trench down the side, and a pipe at the cross over point....nice life scout project. who knows a scout???

based on my experience(been there done that) that seems awfully involved for a life project, maybe an eagle project . . .(unless the stretch we are talking about is much shorter than im remembering)

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
based on my experience(been there done that) that seems awfully involved for a life project, maybe an eagle project . . .(unless the stretch we are talking about is much shorter than im remembering)

it is long. probably too long not to use equipment. so more of a coordination project.
i'll try to get over there and look,

MSalvatore

Was at Cush this afternoon, great ride feels like death though. It could use some TM though a few trees down on White that need clearing. I'd like to do some TM, how do we get it organized?

Patrick

Staff member
Was at Cush this afternoon, great ride feels like death though. It could use some TM though a few trees down on White that need clearing. I'd like to do some TM, how do we get it organized?

white along the ridge?

we've been doing small teams, no coordination for the last year. Can you late in the day (like you rode today) ?
I'll see if i can grab a couple people and we'll get at it.

FitmanNJ

I rode Round Valley out of the railroad lot yesterday, and true to form (and despite the ton of rain we've gotten recently), the conditions were good...except for some mud in the first ~1/4 mile out of the lot (the "flat" area). Round Valley remains a great place to ride after heavy rainfall. I also stopped at the beach by the reservoir, and the view was beautiful.

As an aside, I noticed on my map that I summited Cushatunk Mountain on my way out...done completely without supplemental oxygen, or a sherpa! Of course, I planted the JORBA flag at the summit...;)

goodvibe

I was there on Thursday. Conditions are perfect. I went from the boat launch onto the eagle nest trail at the east end of the reservoir and back. There were quite a few trees down on the eagle nest trail, but other than that. . . perfect.

Patrick

Staff member
Eagle trail is clear of downed trees from the entrance to the built-up logstacle.
There are face slappers, and an 8" log to hop over, cause it is slightly buried and i couldn't get it to move.
Made one of the go-arounds look more official today.

will find out what it looks like beyond there soon.
https://www.strava.com/activities/2789003994

hiked out to here:

1571086699623.png

goodvibe

Patrick

Staff member
Trails are covered with leaves, but easy enough to see.

Did a TM session on the eagle trail today - Stopped about 100' from the fence, just because it didn't look worthy of messing with it!
It is now clear of anything that might make ya get off the bike. There are still plenty of rose whips, and a few sticks on the trail.
There is still that one log that is partly buried, but is easy to see and hop over.

it is damp, but you'd never know we got 1.5" of rain.

Go get it!
https://www.strava.com/segments/22168051

Very peaceful out there.

IMG_4709-ANIMATION.gif

Patrick

Staff member
Same conditions as Monday - and all cleared of the latest blowdowns.

Cush/Eagle trail/red to the ridge connector/ridge back to cush.

no mud to be found (except the cush lot)

Go get it.

Patrick

Staff member
Reminder: Eagle trail closes Jan 1 - it is clear, and riding well.

The water is being drawn down - try a little beach riding - there are plenty of rock gardens to work on tech skills -
somewhat of a sourland simulator.

a few trees down along red.

The switchbacks under the powerlines have been clearcut by the power company. their track vehicle did a little damage, but not horrible.

there are a couple spots with fresh survey markers. not sure what is going on. One is near an access gate on Dreahook road -

Remember the road over the earth dam is closed (to cars anyway)

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions