Give Tim Information About Bike Stuff Thread (formerly What tires should i buy?)

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
For the record, my road bike now uses a wider rear spacing than my first 2 Fat Bikes. Remember when people made a big deal about Q Factor?

TimBay

In order of importance: Manual, Bunny Hop, Trail Stand? Go! I want to spend 20-30 minutes of each ride split before/after practicing skills. Huber and Harts both have nice grassy areas to practice. I've used them a bit and really want to work on being a better rider.

(I should stop watching skills videos after working late while drinking wine)

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
In order of importance: Manual, Bunny Hop, Trail Stand? Go! I want to spend 20-30 minutes of each ride split before/after practicing skills. Huber and Harts both have nice grassy areas to practice. I've used them a bit and really want to work on being a better rider.

(I should stop watching skills videos after working late while drinking wine)

track/trail stand, and riding very slowly leading to..
the art of getting over/onto stuff. logs, step-up, step-down.
then doing it fast, on bigger stuff!
being able to put out 300 watts for an hour wouldn't hurt either.

turning seems to be important also.

i haven't figured any of these out yet...except the slowly part.

Tim

aka sptimmy43

I think Pat is pretty much right on. Practice the track/trail stand as much as you can. That skill is way more important than it seems on the surface. I would say then practice the manual as you can't do a proper bunny hop without some manual skills. That doesn't mean you need to be able to manual like a boss for minutes at a time. You need to be able to lift your front wheel using your weight. Turning, i.e. getting separation between your body and bike when you lean the bike over and shifting your hips (weight) to the outside is important if you want to ride confidently at speed.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Bunny Hop. Although like SpTimmy says, you'll need a little tiny bit of manual in there for that.

When I first started riding again a couple years ago I was obsessed with bunny hopping. I absolutely hated getting off my bike for every obstacle that was laying across the trail.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's

working on these,
track stand is harder than it seems it should be
step ups step downs easier at speed, need to practice doing it slowly for group situations where you cant always go at your own pace
300 watts for an hour, not quite, but im getting close. . . . hopefully ill exceed that benchmark this year
turning is definitely important, being able to lean over and trust your tires is huge, as well as knowing how much speed you can carry through (alternatively how far do you need to slow down on entry . . . )

RobW

for bunny hop... start with a 2x4 in your driveway, track stand you can do anywhere...turning 300 watts for an hour(dont focus on that) its not a skill that is learned, it is a skill that is earned over the course of your riding.... for turning... just ride in circles in a field or at claypit parking lot for the gravel- each time around lean the bike over more each time until you arent comfortable, then begin again... when you get comfortable, try the opposite direction.... you could always seek out some skills instructors as well.

edit- @fidodie can turn 300 for an hour but somewhere in the woods that isnt as important as skills to ride trails. because without skills you cannot turn 300 watts consecutively.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
for bunny hop... start with a 2x4 in your driveway, track stand you can do anywhere...turning 300 watts for an hour(dont focus on that) its not a skill that is learned, it is a skill that is earned over the course of your riding.... for turning... just ride in circles in a field or at claypit parking lot for the gravel- each time around lean the bike over more each time until you arent comfortable, then begin again... when you get comfortable, try the opposite direction.... you could always seek out some skills instructors as well.

great turning advise i received last year - Lean it over until you fall, then dial it back 1 notch. - @xc62701

Top Bottom