Mercer County Park Conditions

TAS

Big Al, Thanks for the heads up...Yeah we have been watching that one for a while. I just knew it was gonna come down soon. I had trimmed off the lower stuff this summer to get by. I'll contact Mick and see if we can get over there.

TAS

TAS

The downed tree on Blue trail has been removed. Nice warm day for walk with the tools.
Plus we cleaned up a few other nuisance's in the area.

fullsizeoutput_c7a.jpeg

Mick714

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
It was a nice day to be out walking the trail
There are many many trees that have the potential to come down on the trail
Tom and I will be out making a list for next months first trail day of the year
This part of the blue trail looked pretty good

TAS

Trails have firmed up and dried out a bit. Main trails on the south side, West Picnic area and Van Nest should be OK. Watch out - slow down for the usual soft-slick spots. When in doubt hop off & walk! Avoid the red loop east of the east picnic area. Blue from the East Picnic area is OK but avoid the inner trail along the lake. Blue North will be OK but enter from Conover road. The first leg is still too soft & muddy.

TAS

Mildly Wild

Rode Sunday and conditions were exactly as described (thanks again). Had not been here in a while so just noticed some of the "trail closed" signs. The one that saddened us the most was the single track that starts off Blue about 50 ft past the large bridge. on the right. We used to really like that little spur and it would bring us out by the powerlines near the boat house. From there we used to have a short ride to Post Rd and the entrance to Blue North. Will that trail stay closed for the foreseeable future? Also, we continued on Blue to where it brought us to an opening where we could se some of the skull boats. We stopped and turned around there having recognized this trail from before to dead end near the water. Does that trail now continue to where Blue North can be accessed?

TAS

Rode Sunday and conditions were exactly as described (thanks again). Had not been here in a while so just noticed some of the "trail closed" signs. The one that saddened us the most was the single track that starts off Blue about 50 ft past the large bridge. on the right. We used to really like that little spur and it would bring us out by the powerlines near the boat house. From there we used to have a short ride to Post Rd and the entrance to Blue North. Will that trail stay closed for the foreseeable future? Also, we continued on Blue to where it brought us to an opening where we could se some of the skull boats. We stopped and turned around there having recognized this trail from before to dead end near the water. Does that trail now continue to where Blue North can be accessed?

There is/was some confusion as to what is and is not an "official" trail by the new park trail supervisor. Mick has been in contact with them and we are waiting for the next meeting opportunity to have that sign removed. I believe that It's OK to ride that trail. I ride it....

If you stay on the blue trail along the lake shore it brings you to the Rowing Center. Turn right when you reach the paved area ( No Bicycles sign) and ride around behind the building, that is the "official trail". The trail goes to the gravel path under the power lines, then left thru the parking lot to South Post road. FYI For blue north access, ride up south post road then right onto Conover Rd. Enter Blue at the next culvert off of Conover road, the first section is way too muddy! Remediating that section is on the "To Do" list for 2019
Mercer Rowing center route.png

TAS

Last edited:

Rusty

those signs will disappear shortly, hunting season is now over, my belief is they were just there for that purpose. its too wet there now with the snow and the warm...prob needs some drying out time.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
There is/was some confusion as to what is and is not an "official" trail by the new park trail supervisor. Mick has been in contact with them and we are waiting for the next meeting opportunity to have that sign removed. I believe that It's OK to ride that trail. I ride it....

If you stay on the blue trail along the lake shore it brings you to the Rowing Center. Turn right when you reach the paved area ( No Bicycles sign) and ride around behind the building, that is the "official trail". The trail goes to the gravel path under the power lines, then left thru the parking lot to South Post road. FYI For blue north access, ride up south post road then right onto Conover Rd. Enter Blue at the next culvert off of Conover road, the first section is way too muddy! Remediating that section is on the "To Do" list for 2019
TAS
A non-official trail (not on the trail map) at Baldpate has these same signs also. I don't think they are temporary.

TAS

FYI... Lets keep it kool...but the new Mercer county park trail super is reviewing ALL Mercer County park trails. Some will be closed, some need to be properly identified and have signage. Mercer has a few that were on the map, but needed to be closed as they are no longer viable trails. Some were not properly identified and need to be reviewed. At Mercer we will be installing new markers on all the main trails. After that has been completed we hope to discuss the "side trails" that we have been maintaining. Just have to wait and see.

TAS

Possibly that the trail you are referring to will take you within 1000 feet of the new eagle nest....we have a new pair of eagles that have built a nest in the area immediately past the powerlines on the Rowing Center side of the lake and apparently this has brought some public interest to the park including a few broadcasts by channel 12 news....which may be the reason why the Park System wants it closed off. Please bear in mind a few years ago the area I believe you are referring to was up for consideration for them to build a fitness center for rowers....hopefully, being that the eagles are continously drawing public attention to MCP, the park system may want to reconsider their idea.

rick81721

Lothar
FYI... Lets keep it kool...but the new Mercer county park trail super is reviewing ALL Mercer County park trails. Some will be closed, some need to be properly identified and have signage. Mercer has a few that were on the map, but needed to be closed as they are no longer viable trails. Some were not properly identified and need to be reviewed. At Mercer we will be installing new markers on all the main trails. After that has been completed we hope to discuss the "side trails" that we have been maintaining. Just have to wait and see.

TAS

Good news. There are too many "spider web" trails there, and some send you into swamp land.

cyclesick

This is a current trend with park administrators all through the Delaware valley. I remember it starting with the wiss here in Philly about 18 or 20 yrs. ago. It lit off a highly propagandized power struggle between the mb community and the nature watchers that lasted for 5 or 6 yrs. When the issues in the wiss were finally settled, all mbrs and equestrians required a special trail pass to use the soft trails in ALL Philadelphia parks. Initially it was free for city residents and $20 a yr for non-residents. Last yr they tried to charge city residents the fee also. Once all this was set in motion, the nature watchers turned to Pennypack park. The local park administrations always seem to back the nature watchers and access for mtbrs begins to slowly erode. I'm 58 yrs old and I've ridden in Pennypack since I was 7. But, it's become such a hassle trying to figure out where you can and can't ride there ,that it's no longer worth going. This is by design and it happens very, very slowly and the entire time it's happening, the park officials continue to tell the mtb community that they are " just trying to make things better for everyone". They want to make it so difficult for mbrs that the numbers that are willing to tolerate the restrictions will dwindle. Then they say, "since there are so few using the area for that activity, there's no point continuing to allow it at all". I've tried to warn several the mtbr volunteer groups that this was slowly happening for 10 yrs. No one listened. Then, a few yrs ago the same thing happened in Ceres park in southern NJ. I know everyone here will just write me off as being cynical. But, how many that do are willing to go back 20-25 yrs to see for them selves? I would guess not many. And for that reason, It is now happening at Mercer. This is very sad. But the fact is we are never more than 1 change in administrative personel away from losing our privileges or rights.

Rocks & Water

JDurk is right that is not at all what happened. In that time and still do I ride both places a good bit. At Mercer I'm just down the road it's really nice place to ride hope nothing comes of this.

michael.su

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Communication is open. In the end, this is the land managers decision. All we can do is offer our support and expertise. Most of all, stay professional/respectful.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions