Anyone ridden Gooseberry Mesa or Thunder Mtn?

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Just booked my summer family vacation to Utah. We’ll be in Springdale. I plan to sneak away for a ride one day. Was thinking Gooseberry or Thunder Mtn.

Need advice and insight please...

xc62701

It’s been a long time but Gooseberry is awesome. If you’re in the area it’s a must ride.

dmkalemba

I was out there a few years back when my kids were like 11 or 12. had a guide drive us up in a jeep and rode around on top of the Mesa, it was fun. Didn't explore too much because kids, but it was pretty cool.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Gooseberry nesa is awesome. Cant go wrong there. Been about 7 years for me but would absolutely go there again

snashters

I haven’t been to Thunder mountain, but I’ve been to Gooseberry a few times & the trails are fantastic, and great views north towards Zion. The only problem I had there was one time after a rain, the dirt road to the trailhead was impassable.

If you’re short of time Guacamole is close to Springdale and a fun trail.

There also used to be some riding near Grafton schoolhouse, a few miles west of Springdale : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_JPDEHU1ok

cbiker

I used to live out in the area and they both have good riding. Gooseberry is going to be hot in the summer thunder mnt should have more reasonable temps. Also brian head has great shuttle runs and will have the coolest temps dark hollow is great and drops a vertical mile. Call if you head up to brian head though there was a bad forest fire up there so i dont know what is.left of the trails.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Is the stuff in St George and Hurricane good in early March? Or do they get snowed under?

cbiker

Another great option that time of year is rainbow rim on the north rim of the grand canyon. Lots of dirt rds to get out there so best to camp and spend a few days though. Its worth the drive just to camp on the rim out there.

cbiker

The rd to gooseberry can be impassible if it is wet but there should be other riding that is fine call over the edge in hurricane for conditions.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
And dont forget the rope and the rack st george and zion have great climbing.

Yeah, unless I can get my wife out there too, I'll just be with a coworker that rides but doesn't climb. It would probably be a crime to be that close to Zion and not climb though.

jredone

I was there about 4 years ago for a few days and rode both gooseberry Mesa and Hurricane Rim Loop, I believe it’s considered an imba epic. I would highly recommend the Rim Loop if you can get away for a few hours. It’s a very rideable 25 or so miles with a nice taste of what Southern Utah has to offer. For me this still goes down as one of my favorite rides. Shoot me a pm if you have any questions about the rides. Can’t go wrong with either ride but my choice would 1000% be the rim.

xc62701

True. I was out in hurricane one spring and riding some beautiful trails in the 70/80 degree sunshine. The next morning I came out of the tent and thought I was on the moon. It was foggy and snow everywhere. It crazy how fast and how dramatic the weather changes can be out there.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Wow, 1000% the rim? Now you’ve got my attention. I’m looking for rugged singletrack; intermediate to advanced stuff. I’d love to ride a trail that traverses all different parts of Utah’s terrain. Are you saying the hurricane rim trail can deliver more of that than gooseberry Mesa?

jredone

Wow, 1000% the rim? Now you’ve got my attention. I’m looking for rugged singletrack; intermediate to advanced stuff. I’d love to ride a trail that traverses all different parts of Utah’s terrain. Are you saying the hurricane rim trail can deliver more of that than gooseberry Mesa?

Gooseberry is like a giant techy playground. Tons of fun, great views all around and more technical riding overall than the Rim. The Rim for me was a good mix of techy rock stuff, wide open super flowy roller coaster singletrack, solid but very doable climbs, also great views with some decent exposure. If tech is your thing definitely go for gooseberry, if some tech, some flow, and some off the grid adventure vibe is what you’re after I’d go for the Rim Loop. I believe the 3 trails in the full loop are Jem trail, Goulds, and hurrican Rim. I just enjoy those longer more epic type of rides and Rim was for sure one that did not disappoint. Whichever you choose you’ll have an amazing day out on the bike for sure, this is just my own personal preference.
Cheers

Last edited:

bucknejo

I haven’t been to Thunder mountain, but I’ve been to Gooseberry a few times & the trails are fantastic, and great views north towards Zion. The only problem I had there was one time after a rain, the dirt road to the trailhead was impassable.

Same-sies - the dirt access road to the top of the mesa is no bueno after rain, but if you can get to the top there is really cool slick rock with the white dots marking the various trails, et. al. Stayed in one of the yurts overlooking the canyon and remember thinking if there ever were any chance of spotting a UFO, this would be the place to do it. Amazing views all around.

jredone

Just saw a video on YouTube today posted by a guy BCPov of him riding Thunder Mtn. Looks pretty awesome, gives you a solid idea of what the trail is like. Kinda mellow but the views seem pretty amazing. I’ve never looked into this ride, may have to consider it my next trip out.

Top Bottom