James Pearl Thinks Blogging is Dead

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
On the Long and...Short of Things

@jShort - I don't know if there are rights or wrongs in the long versus short discussion. What I do know is the HIT training works better for what they refer to as "seasoned" cyclists so newcomers should decidedly not take that approach. @UtahJoe nails it in many ways. The reality is that more hours = less mass = faster bike riding. For me personally I have more problems controlling what I eat when I do hard work. I also just feel better when I do more volume. I get stronger. Things are usually better. It's hard to say that putting in a lot of hours doesn't work for you because you've never tried it. But there is something to be said about the mental aspect and if you don't want to mentally ride 14 hours a week, it's going to become a burden which won't be fun. Then where are you left?

Do you even have 12 hours available to train per week? If not, the question is moot. I do believe that a higher volume, more patterned routine would work just dandy for you but it's not really something easy to pull off with young kids.

But back to the point, I'm not sure it's more ways to do the same thing so much as different people respond differently.

Image: Random picture from Louisville where we got coffee. @seanrunnette bought me a bag of coffee from here and it was fantastic.

IMG_6865 2.jpg

On Minnesota

I like to do things and blog on these trips but man, both times I've gone to Minnesota I ended up with almost zero free time. I am ashamed to admit this but my hotel was ~4 blocks from the Mary Tyler Moore statue and I didn't even go see it. The demo ended at 4:15 but of course the guys wanted to go get a drink and instead of doing my own thing, which I almost always do, I went along with it. I did my usual unsweetened iced tea but I blew 2.5 hours there talking about nothing instead of going to find some espresso. In the end, my boss and I bolted for some Chinese food and we landed a total win for dinner. Then we grabbed a hot cup of tea next door before heading back to the hotel and calling it a night. So at least we got a little time to hang out and discuss various next possible career options a little, while eating some excellent food.

But really this trip was a bit of a fail. Having to wake up at 3:45 the next day does put a damper on things though. In all I think I left home at 6am Tuesday and was back at 10am Wednesday.

Image: A beef & broccoli meal I made for dinner one night. @Dominique loved this recipe.

IMG_7011.jpg

On the New Role

I end up writing a ton of stuff every day, which is effectively taking away from my mojo to do this blog right now. I'm also getting blistered from 9 angles every day and we're trying to dig our way out of this landslide of company disinterest. One of my coworkers makes fun of me because I'm so direct on these calls with the dev team. He quoted me the other day as saying, "So...how do we make these meetings more efficient?"

Yeah, I don't know. I feel like we all get paid a lot of money to do work. So when I see people not doing work it irritates me. Though I admit that it's exponentially worse when it has an adverse effect on what I'm trying to get done.

Image: A setup picture spot at the Escher Exhibition. Did you get your tickets?

IMG_6995.jpg

On Arizona & Riding Outside

Just rented 2 bikes for Sunday, so to the question @stb222 asks, yeah, I'll be riding outside soon enough. We are both going out Saturday morning and D will leave Tuesday late night and I will fly back Thursday morning. I'm looking forward to a few days of warm weather and we'll hit up South Mountain on Sunday morning. Forecast is a high of 72 degrees so it looks like a great day.

I know that's not what you were asking and to that point, I did think about CR the other day then someone made some dire comment about how bad it was. So I tossed that for the time being but I do see people riding there again, including @pooriggy today. On some note I do need to get my XC bike operating again so I only have the big fat bike. I mean it's a bike so whatever. But I do need to start thinking about this. But for what I am trying to do and my time constraints, I have no choice but to ride inside. I am simply in a vortex of insanity some days. And disappearing for any length of time is not an option. So being inside where I can keep some tabs on email/etc is a necessity if I am going to ride between 10-4.

As for the rest of Arizona, I'm not sure what else is going on. My boss and his family are going to be there and we're going to end up hanging out with them a bunch. When he heard I was going with D he decided to go too and bring the family. So it'll be a good weekend-and-more.

Image: From the hotel where we were doing demo prep on Tuesday morning. How cool is it that there is a ski jump on that hill? This is skiing in Minnesota, apparently.

IMG_7029.jpg

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I did think about CR the other day then someone made some dire comment about how bad it was. So I tossed that for the time being but I do see people riding there again, including @pooriggy today.

We do what we want and then validate our decisions with reasoning. Telling someone their reasons are valid or invalid is akin to telling someone what they want and don't want, which is silly.

The little decisions we make through out our day are the things that define who we are, like the saying how we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Ok, now that that's out of the way.

I do question why you ride a bike, to lose weight and train for your next cycling goal? You do take these trips to ride for fun, however taking trips is not a part of our daily life. Sitting on zwift 10+hrs a week while answering emails and being available for work things doesn't sound like riding for fun to me.

It's understandable that sometimes you don't have the time and you have to squeeze rides in on zwift, however going back to my opening statement, we do what we want and then validate our decisions, I can't say your reasons are valid or invalid.

Work less, play more or work more, play less, it's your choice;)

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I do question why you ride a bike

I guess I wonder why anyone would wonder this. I also wonder why people have such a problem with my lifestyle choices. I mean, let's take this in comparison to what you did when your kids were the same age as mine. You quit biking entirely for how many years? Is this when you validate your decision with reasoning then convince yourself that your decision is/was better than mine? I know you say that it's not your place to judge anyone then you go ahead and judge someone. I find that curious. I've never questioned that lifestyle choice much like I don't question why you get shit-faced every Friday night, week after week, year after year. If that works for you, cool.

I have explained my approach & philosophy multiple times, but people don't want to take the time to read it, or fully understand it. Rather, some people do, some don't. I think you fabricate what you think my life consists of, then pass judgements against me based on that fabrication. I don't think you actually have any idea what my life consists of on a day-to-day basis, even though I explain it to people repeatedly. I think you partially (I'll be fair, I don't think you fully believe this) think that you have everything figured out. But you've got it figured out based on whatever assumptions you've made. But I can tell you that, based on what you write, they are incorrect.

I have said in the past that I wouldn't belabor the Zwift thing too much because I know it's boring to people. But at this point, screw it, I'll go all-in.

I don't like Zwift. I love it. I know this won't make sense to you but you've never tried it. I will refer to your own words again - you make a decision then validate it with whatever reasoning validates that choice. I get it, we all do it. But I'm calling you out on that. Because you are balls-out against something that so many of us do, so many of us enjoy, but you've never even tried it. I guess this threatens people's choices in life but it doesn't need to. At this point, I would rather ride Zwift than the road. In the winter, this is not even a comparison.

I understand that as someone who blogs openly like this I put myself out there for criticism. But when you reply, you do the same. By criticizing someone's lifestyle in which I bend over backwards to try and get my saddle time in without compromising my time with my kids and my wife, you come off...let's just say that I wrote something and deleted it. I'm going to do what I need to support my family & my lifestyle first. Then we can worry about making sure that my actions keep the community happy. Again, if this bothers you, I suggest unsubscribing, blocking me, or just don't click the link.

I'm at the airport now and we'll be taking off for Phoenix shortly. I may or may not blog about it. Frankly, my desire to share anything with the entire community right now is pretty low. So I guess we'll see. More than likely my desire to write will trump my frustration. But how long that will be is anyone's guess. It's probably not a bad idea to take some down time. We can all use some down time now & again.

thegock

"judgements" Important word. only one 'e' there

I understand that as someone who blogs openly like this I put myself out there for criticism. But when you reply, you do the same. By criticizing someone's lifestyle in which I bend over backwards to try and get my saddle time in without compromising my time with my kids and my wife, you come off...let's just say that I wrote something and deleted it. I'm going to do what I need to support my family & my lifestyle first. Then we can worry about making sure that my actions keep the community happy. Again, if this bothers you, I suggest unsubscribing, blocking me, or just don't click the link.

We love r mayer.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I like zwift too. I did trainer road last winter and I did it but it was like "whatever." Watch TV, pedal, finish. And I didn't feel like I got much out of it. With zwift, I'm riding and liking the trainer (as much as one can like riding a trainer). I'm racing others and pushing myself when, this time last year, I was just looking to get the ride over with. And, frankly, most of us have fucked up schedules and can't just duck out of work in the middle of the work week to go ride outside. My bosses are really cool, but let's face it, they wouldn't appreciate me doing that. So zwift gets me riding at 5 in the morning or 7 at night or when the weather is shitty and I get anywhere from a half hour to two and a half hours in.

So yeah, one can argue that zwift isn't "real" riding but without it, I wouldn't be riding. Period. So if people want to bash something I like and that is good for me, I think they can just go suck it. And I say that with love.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Man, @norm doesn't unleash on someone often, but when he does it's a freaking landslide, LOL.

To go back to this

@jShort - I don't know if there are rights or wrongs in the long versus short discussion. What I do know is the HIT training works better for what they refer to as "seasoned" cyclists so newcomers should decidedly not take that approach. @UtahJoe nails it in many ways. The reality is that more hours = less mass = faster bike riding. For me personally I have more problems controlling what I eat when I do hard work. I also just feel better when I do more volume. I get stronger. Things are usually better. It's hard to say that putting in a lot of hours doesn't work for you because you've never tried it. But there is something to be said about the mental aspect and if you don't want to mentally ride 14 hours a week, it's going to become a burden which won't be fun. Then where are you left?

.....I reached out to Ken to get his thoughts. We had a really good conversation and I'm reassured I'm on the proper and sustainable track.
We netted out on the conclusion that I really don't have that much time. And to make time, well it hasn't been worth the effort. In the past when I put in big weeks it didn't benefit me anymore than short higher intensity stuff. I end up getting a little burned out and losing the drive. He actually got back to me a few days later and brought up specific times where this happened and showed me the data to back it up. So I guess that's that.
People have varying opinions of Ken, but when it comes to training and knowing his athletes, he's a pro.

As for zwift, I really only tried it once. I had to jump through hoops to get it set up on some old POS pc hooked up to an even bigger POS monitor. I felt like I was playing a video game from the 80's and never looked back.
I've thought about giving it another shot but never get around to it.

Is every session a race? Or a workout that has max efforts?
I can't see doing something like 3 x 10 sub threshold intervals on zwift. I'd much rather watch Netflix. That's just me though.

I read all the "that's not real cycling" shit on here to and kinda laugh. Some people feel the need to justify what they do. And if you're not in line with what they consider riding, well they like the opportunity to have a dick measuring contest and flash their superior masculinity. (By the way, I really need you to watch season 2 of the Patriot to get that dick measuring reference.... you'll rLOL)

Back to my cliched point... Do what works for you and fuck the haters.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
As for zwift, I really only tried it once. I had to jump through hoops to get it set up on some old POS pc hooked up to an even bigger POS monitor. I felt like I was playing a video game from the 80's and never looked back.
I've thought about giving it another shot but never get around to it.

Basically the same experience. Norm really said the best thing Zwift could do is something like a 15 day trial in the winter, 30 day trial in the summer.

I had a 7 day trial, by the time I had it setup after all the problems (coming from someone with a smart trainer w/ TrainerRoad already working) I ended up only getting in two rides in on my trial and just thought it was dumb, never really got too much of a chance to try it out so I moved on.

I'm curious if the hate for Norm zwifting would be the same if he did:
A) Spin Studio
B) Crossfit
C) Rock Climbing
D) Watching TV shows on the couch.

The guy rides his bike indoors with good effort yet people yell/laugh at him. I bet there's way more scorn than the examples I have above, including "D".

To me, it's not mountain biking, but so what? It doesn't have to be a replacement, it can be a compliment.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Damn it I tried to start off with a reply but my html skills are pathetic now. I guess what I learned in 2000 finally drifted away.

I understand the anti-zwift sentiment. It’s not a far leap. It’s the same argument we hear with “kids these days”. All they do is play online. All they do is game. No social interaction. You could make the same argument with zwift. It has an anti-social feel, but I’m more of a lone wolf, so who the fuck am I to make that judgment. People are irritated on both sides. I see both sides of the coin.

To me, what I see more is bandwagoning. Fads roll through this site on the regular. They catch on for a while, and the majority moves off it. Not everyone jumps on, but a good amount do. Which I think is totally normal. I think zwift is one of these waves, and there’s zero wrong with it. Given the sunk cost and convenience, this one will stick better than say something like fat bikes IMHO. And I see the “threat” you alluded to in your post but I don’t agree that people feel threatened. I think it’s more complicated than that.

That said, just as I have an opinion on north vs central vs south jersey that I don’t bother sharing because it’s old in my mind, I think the zwift bashing too, is old. I don’t have zwift, looked into it, considered it, but who knows. Maybe when some Chinese company comes up with a knock-off wahoo for 1/4 cost I’ll have a set up for weekends like this. Maybe I won’t. Like you, I too have an absurd work schedule. My demands are insane... unfortunately right now for nothing because my company has one drug hopeful and we just got a goddamn CRL from the FDA. So waking up at 4 sucked before and now it’s gonna suck even more just for that kick in the balls. And I can guarantee I’m gonna get a cold soon because of the hours I have to keep. But I go out when I do to make sure I am back every morning to wake my daughter up for school and take her to the bus stop. That’s our time together since walking in the door at 10pm on the regular is my reality. Sorry, went off topic there. Riding indoors isn’t the perfect answer, obviously riding outdoors isn’t the perfect answer either. All depends on what you’re trying to accomplish, if you’re trying to accomplish anything at all. I don’t mean “you” I mean the collective you. Or they. Us? I wish.

Don’t blame the weather, don’t blame indoor riding, don’t blame ego and genital measuring contests. I think sometimes you have family over for thanksgiving, and it gets a little weird. Please pass the cranberry sauce.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@clarkenstein I have to disagree with the anti social view of zwift.

My MTBNJ teammates are a perfect example of making it social. We message each other encouragement and we try to join in on the same rides so we can ride together. Yesterday I zwifted with two teammates. Throughout the ride, we checked in with each other and updated each other and helped each other thru a very hard stage of the tour de zwift.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
@clarkenstein I have to disagree with the anti social view of zwift.

My MTBNJ teammates are a perfect example of making it social. We message each other encouragement and we try to join in on the same rides so we can ride together. Yesterday I zwifted with two teammates. Throughout the ride, we checked in with each other and updated each other and helped each other thru a very hard stage of the tour de zwift.

I am not personally saying it’s anti-social. I’m saying it can be (and is) perceived that way by some on the site.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just found out today that you have to pay for zwisfer...View attachment 85944
This is surprising? I mean you have to pay to race a fat bike on a rail bed, why would zwift be free?

I don't use zwift after trying 3 times... I can't really get into it... So I just use rouvy instead which is cheaper... But I'm a huge fan of anything that is getting norm to ride over 10 hours a week.

I like riding outside as much as I can and almost always have more outside hours than inside on a weekly basis... Outside is usually fun, social, nice views etc ... But I never get the thought in my head.... Man, I'm a hard ass for being out here in this dogshit weather. I did a 3 hour ride at mooch yesterday in the snow... 2500' of climbing in 16 miles... Friday I rode the trainer for 2 hours.... Not even close in terms of which was harder, trainer ride by a mile. Yesterday I got to hang with my friends and chat for hours.... Friday was work.

I think there are great benefits to both... But I will always favor outside for a whole bunch of reasons... Being tougher than a guy on the trainer is certainly not one of them.

@norm we as your teammates would love it you had more time to ride outside and hang, and ride with us... So I think we like to jab you about it in different ways. I ask you, you tell me you can't, I then say that you suck donkey balls and we move on to the next time. It's fine.

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I also wonder why people have such a problem with my lifestyle choices.

Fuck em. I'm not sure who 'they' are but they're the ones with the problem, not you. Different story if your lifestyle choices were of a self destructive nature, but they are obviously not.

Due to being extremely busy lately, I have not ridden yet in 2019. I'm not set up to Zwift but if I was, I'd be riding it RN.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Does anyone think they are a Hardman for riding in all conditions, @UtahJoe? For me it was always the challenge of if I can beat the weather that day, similar to doing some
Tech line, climbing some hill, can I ride that distance, can I ride that distance at ‘x’ avg, etc. Is that shit going to beat me or am I going to beat it. For the weather, I know I can ride in any condition in this region and it has grown old.

Everyone knows where I stand on trainers, so it is pointless to pile on. However, the hardest part for me to wrap my head around is sitting on a trainer simply for fitness purposes. Sure, fitness is part of the riding equation but I never stepped on a bike and thought about what kind of workout I will be getting.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Does anyone think they are a Hardman for riding in all conditions, @UtahJoe?
OMG Yes.. like half the people in the BIYF thread... Is this even a serious question?

the hardest part for me to wrap my head around is sitting on a trainer simply for fitness purposes
That's the whole point for me. To train in preparation for race season. Is that really that hard to understand? Or is fitness purposes different that for training?

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Does anyone think they are a Hardman for riding in all conditions, @UtahJoe? For me it was always the challenge of if I can beat the weather that day, similar to doing some
Tech line, climbing some hill, can I ride that distance, can I ride that distance at ‘x’ avg, etc. Is that shit going to beat me or am I going to beat it. For the weather, I know I can ride in any condition in this region and it has grown old.

Everyone knows where I stand on trainers, so it is pointless to pile on. However, the hardest part for me to wrap my head around is sitting on a trainer simply for fitness purposes. Sure, fitness is part of the riding equation but I never stepped on a bike and thought about what kind of workout I will be getting.
Well yes, but im guessing that you are someone who has never struggled with maintaining a healthy weight?
speaking for myself.. I know I have to exercise to keep my weight where I want and maintain my health...biking is just the most enjoyable way I have found to accomplish this... I have made it work by just going to the gym, but I didn't really enjoy so after a while it was a struggle to keep it up.... So everyday my mindset is... I must do some kind of activity today... I actually feel EXTREMELY fortunate that I found this thing that works for me.

I have never been addicted to a drug or alcohol so I can't say if it's a similar battle, but I do look at it like a day by day thing... Wake up and think.. Ok what am I going to eat today, and how am I going to get a workout in.

Secondly... The trainer isn't just pedaling and fitness... Today for example I planned on an hour easy... Im not going out on the salty roads by me and the trails will be a mess of slush for this.. I mean Ya I could do dawn my rain gear and do it... But I can also do a ride in France with hills that feel similar... Simultaneously not feel bad about sitting on my ass and watching the football game... Its not JUST fitness.

I'm sure norm can give you 50 reasons he likes the zwift worlds... I mean if you look at the screen and it motivates you to pedal... Whatever.. Do it.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
OMG Yes.. like half the people in the BIYF thread... Is this even a serious question?

That's the whole point for me. To train in preparation for race season. Is that really that hard to understand? Or is fitness purposes different that for training?
And totally agree with @jShort... This "LOOK AT ME I'M OUTSIDE LIKE SIR EDMUND HILLARY" penis waving is non stopped. I mean great be outside, but this notion that it makes you tougher than someone on a trainer.. Lol.

Like it or not... Some of the fastest local pros I know only ride a trainer and never ride outside unless they are racing. I can't imagine doing this (for one im not as talented skills wise and mine would fall off), but I can't argue their results.

Top Bottom