Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Movie Night
21DD29F5-25AF-4491-82B1-083AF755BEC8.jpeg

C’mon, you know you want to whistle.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i'm having another brain fart - Who is Bruce H on here?

Patrick

Staff member
Probably. Twit Olympics is great. I think And Now For Something Completely Different ended with that?

its the only one i remember - results of low level iocane poisoning.

Patrick

Staff member
https://www.strava.com/activities/2082723521/overview

Managed to put on all my clothes this morning and go for a ride!
Was fairly sure i started the computer as I left the driveway, but apparently not.
When i looked down to check the time - blank! Oh well - probably lost 30 minutes,
maybe a bit more.

I saw a sign go up awhile back, but it is too small to read from the car.

IMG_2799.JPG

so i live in suburban Branchburg - and i can remember two bears (reported) coming through. One left (and rumor has it that it went to 6MR)
and the other got hit by a car. but ok...no bear hunting in branchburg.

Deer on the other hand, are like shooting fish in a barrel. Must have seen 20 deer stands, and blinds. Glad the bike is orange,
and I was wearing hi-viz yellow. This one herd would run just far enough in front of me that i caught them every 5 minutes.
Big whitetail.

Speaking of tree stands, there is one about 50' into the woods, the owner marked the location appropriately.
IMG_2800.JPG

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
https://www.strava.com/activities/2082723521/overview

Managed to put on all my clothes this morning and go for a ride!
Was fairly sure i started the computer as I left the driveway, but apparently not.
When i looked down to check the time - blank! Oh well - probably lost 30 minutes,
maybe a bit more.

I saw a sign go up awhile back, but it is too small to read from the car.

View attachment 85593

so i live in suburban Branchburg - and i can remember two bears (reported) coming through. One left (and rumor has it that it went to 6MR)
and the other got hit by a car. but ok...no bear hunting in branchburg.

Deer on the other hand, are like shooting fish in a barrel. Must have seen 20 deer stands, and blinds. Glad the bike is orange,
and I was wearing hi-viz yellow. This one herd would run just far enough in front of me that i caught them every 5 minutes.
Big whitetail.

Speaking of tree stands, there is one about 50' into the woods, the owner marked the location appropriately.
View attachment 85594
Should’a tied it to the front of the bike... road warrior style. :)

iman29

I spent about 2 hours this morning debating if I should ride trails today alone since it was so cold and cloudy out for a road ride, and I just did 2 days in a row on the road in the freezing cold. Finally I just said F it and I grabbed my gear and dusted off the jalopy MTB and threw everything in the car for my first trip back to Dickerson Mine Park in about 2 years. I dont live close enough to Dickerson to ride there but I guess one day if I really wanted a challenge I could do it on my MTB.

It was really cold and in classic roadie style I overdressed and was totally overheated before I even hit the real part of the trails. I got a little lost crossing the river since I dont usually ride in from the parking area near the furniture store but after realizing I was bushwacking for a few feet and not on a real trail I turned around and got in the correct direction to enter thru the gate and to the beach section.

My goal was to stay on the white trail and take it easy to see how much of my MTB skill training I retained from my stint as a NICA coach. I was not too worried about fitness since I am feeling pretty good these days even with putting back on a few holiday pounds. I just didnt want to get lost as I only had about 1.5 hours max to ride and get back home.

I made it thru the sections familiar to me just fine around the lake and then out onto the road for a bit, then up the back hill. I was glad the old bike has a triple but I still felt like I was spinning like a hamster. Got nice and warm by the time I reached the top and then made my way to the cool switchback sections which I did going downhill (cause down is more better and funner).

I looped back around and made my way to the other side of white and now I was in full exploring mode but I knew if I stayed on the trail it loops back around. about 20 minutes in I ran into someone I knew from NICA coaching and one of his former team members (now in college). Best decision of the day was to NOT ride with them since I am such a Newb. anyway they probably didnt want to ride with a guy with too many layers on, on an old bike thats too small and wearing hiking boots with flat pedals.

Now here's where it went south a little. I decided to ride the Blue trail for a bit and at first it was fine but then it started to get more challenging with some rock gardens (to me anyway) and sure enough I went down. Nothing dramatic more the slow motion kind where the front wheel slows and gets caught and I kinda tipped over. All fine except I jammed my right pinky on a rock when I went down. Seems fine minor swelling I will live. If it turns colors I will get an xray.

After I fell i was a little more careful of course and walked a few rock sections but I made my way back to white trail and saw the same two people again and thankfully I was back on white trail. Now I recognized the trail again and did the lower section near the stream, had to walk a few spots but I was glad when I cleared both stream crossings and didnt need to put a foot down in it like the last time I tried.

finished that section and decided to head back up to take the long downhill towards route 10 but the bottom section was a little icy and muddy so I had to go slow. After a quick bio break at martys and getting properly ridiculed for my ancient bike and what I was wearing, I took the path past the ball fields and back to my car along the stream. Overall it was a great ride and I need to try that again soon, minus the falling down part and bruised finger.

I always try to take at least one pic on a ride, much easier to do this on the trails since there's natural stop points (for someone like me anyway).

https://www.strava.com/activities/2083081653

1547675964738.png

1547676022067.png

1547676079532.png

1547676164668.png

1547676271424.png

1547676347579.png

Top Bottom