SRAM vs Shimano Brakes

Xler8

A small consideration worth mentioning is the ability to run a matchmaker. It does clean things up a touch on the handlebar for a little cleaner look.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I am sorry.... :(
But I blame @qclabrat and @Juggernaut
They made me what I am today.

0F5347AD-E6BA-4678-91E2-08EBE5707715.png

Matt_

I Get Jokes
You were able to stop with one finger with Guides?

Its the feel that I prefer, the XT is like a hair trigger that is effortless. Once used to it, I guess "modulation" makes it seem like I need to squeeze harder for the same braking power.

My buddy swears by his Guides, and know what, we ride together all the time and neither of us have brake issues. ;):)

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
#teamshimano #teammineraloil

But I have some low level Guide something-or-others on the Chameleon and they're fine too.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Funny I'm in the same boat, guides on one bike, XT the other.

The XT's seem to trade off needing service a little more often by being easy to service. If I was buying new, I'd go xt simply because I have all the bleed stuff.

I don't mind the difference as one bike is a rigid fatbike and the other is 150mm full squish, so I ride them pretty different.

one piece crank

Please expand on why.

Ok, I'm familiar using and handling DOT fluid in my vehicle builds. My only mineral oil experience was Magura hydro rim-brakes back in 1988. Whenever a line failed mineral oil sucked, big time, so I've never given it any credit (right or wrong...dunno).

My next project will be a complete rebuild of my SRAM hydros and refill with DOT 5 silicone fluid.

Reactions: w_b

carvegybe

I should have mentioned.... I am poor. lol
I even thought about the M8020 but then I quickly came to the realization of my limited financial factor.
If I go XT... it will be M8000.

Don't forget to consider whether to get resin or metallic brake pads...

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
As much as I swap between bikes with SRAM And Shimano I never have an issue adapting to brakes.
I just replaced a crappy low end (2 levels behind deore) rear brake with an SLX. So front is crappy generic Shimano and rear is slx. They feel remarkably similar.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Just got a new demo bike with what appear to be a revised Guide labeled as “G2”. I’ll test them tomorrow, but a quick neighborhood test is pretty convincing. My benchmark are the new Magura trail brakes. These feel more on/off. Makes me wonder if they are chasing the Shimano feel. (Which I dislike).

Attachments

• F5B07A52-EAA6-4C96-8E3A-4F5B7DC23D7A.jpeg
    F5B07A52-EAA6-4C96-8E3A-4F5B7DC23D7A.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 65

Mountain Bike Mike

I have guides and I like them.

My son has XT and I’m not a fan of the on / off feel vs the Guide feel.

His trek came with Sram Level T and they are straight garbage. We moved the XTs over to the new bike and he can stop now.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
I have guides and I like them.

My son has XT and I’m not a fan of the on / off feel vs the Guide feel.

His trek came with Sram Level T and they are straight garbage. We moved the XTs over to the new bike and he can stop now.

There's a simple solution to the XT on/off feel (assuming you don't like it). The 4-piston XT's. Don't cost much more than than the regular XT's, if you already have XT's you can just upgrade the caliper which is even cheaper, all the modulation and power you want.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
So.... as to not leave you guys hanging, I took @Karate Monkey's advice and ordered M8020 this morning.
Not sure if I should thank him or curse him as it was more than what I wanted to spend.... :p

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Apparently the M9000 XTR Race (2-piston) version doesn't have Servo Wave which exacerbates the on/off feel of Shimano brakes that people either love or hate. I happen to like the feel of regular XT's.

one piece crank

I ride a lot of slow speed terrain and explore more on the Fat Bike. That's when I appreciate more of an on/off feel. When I go fast I'm typically not braking (!). I've got the SRAM Level-T and while they work fine, I'm not overly inpressed with the lever-feel. Definitely not planning to throw any $$ at these brakes...

Top Bottom