6 Mile Run Conditions

Dajerseyrat

Rangers see ruts and hikers see ruts and hikers complain and then we lose access because the rangers will have to do something about it. Riding is not a right it’s a privilege so please say something to him and tell him to stop.

And selfishly speaking, I hate riding people’s frozen ruts in the mornings. 99% of the time their lines suck and it’s annoying, so I hate it, not just for access, but because it ruins my ride. On top of that, instead of cutting new trails, we end up fixing old shit.

So saying nothing isn’t an acceptable answer to me. Say something - it helps the sport and all of us.
What about the hikers walking through the mud? They cause damage also...

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
What about the hikers walking through the mud? They cause damage also...

True, but not as much. And it’s a case of of two wrongs don’t make a right. Also, they were here first. That actually matters.

And I’m not riding over posthole footprints. It is literally all tire tracks. Look at the pictures I just recently posted.

pkovo

Can someone in tune with 6m tell me if tomorrow 8-10am will likely be rideable here, or best to stay away?

Forecast calls for partly sunny, temps to be at 24 by 8am up to 31 by 10. This is coming of an overnight low of 22 for several hours. I only ride here a couple times a year and I’m not at all “in tune” with this spot. I would think this would likely be ok, but this thread is iind of painting 6m as a $hit show right now so figured I’d check

Thx

Dajerseyrat

True, but not as much. And it’s a case of of two wrongs don’t make a right. Also, they were here first. That actually matters.

And I’m not riding over posthole footprints. It is literally all tire tracks. Look at the pictures I just recently posted.
The pictures you posted were of the absolute worst section of 6 mile, which is the new blue section I assisted Jason in making about 6 weeks ago. That section is by far worse than the section it replaced and is the longest and deepest stretch of mud 6 mile has to offer. For the most part, 6 mile is some smaller mud puddles aside from that area.
I have no problem showing up with some tools and helping in repairing what I may have, along with others, damaged. I just rather not be chastised by other riders in the parking lot, nor would I chastise them in return. People are out enjoying the great outdoors that out tax dollars help maintain and patrol, I have no issue with people riding through some mud as much as some others do.. I personally have been avoiding 6 mile for the meantime and riding better drained areas so as to not get everyone's panties in a bunch.

Reactions: Tim

kidzach

Riding a mountain bike in any park is NOT a right. It is a privilege that is earned and advocated for. Please understand we as riders can be banned from any park because of the misuse by just a few bad apples. You need to let people know this fact whenever possible. It never needs to be an argument, just an informative conversation.

stevie.mtb

Riding a mountain bike in any park is NOT a right. It is a privilege that is earned and advocated for. Please understand we as riders can be banned from any park because of the misuse by just a few bad apples. You need to let people know this fact whenever possible. It never needs to be an argument, just an informative conversation.
Exactly. We are not advocating to chastise others, but to simply make them aware of the implications certain actions may/can have. I've never once blew by a rider in any lot at any park and yelled, "dont ride muddy trails (insert cuss word here)"- that to me is chastising them. Nothing is gained in that situation. Instead, I see nothing wrong with striking up a casual conversation about the sport we both enjoy, and then simply mentioning the wet trails issue. It appears this is the approach @rick81721 took above and it worked. Obviously this will never be the outcome in every situation, but its worth a shot.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Anyone who thinks MTB access is a Right just needs to look at Essex County, NJ. All it takes is some bitchy citizens and a shitty politician (we are in NJ, FYI) and access could be lost.

Riding in muddy conditions is exactly the kind of thing that could trigger some tree hugger looking for a mission to start lobbying for a ban.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Sorry. My previous post was misunderstood. It’s wrong that MTB access isn’t a right. It should be. It’s public land. The public should be allowed to use it any way they see fit.

Anyway, education of the asshats that rut up muddy trails is certainly a good thing.

Carry on!

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
New sign in baldpate. This was a rogue trail that has been there for a number of years. Don’t assume anything is a given.
A589B23E-824E-450C-B0B2-1FA2E2B8D264.jpeg

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions