Chimney Rock Conditions

thegock

Given the rain we had, were any conditions other than this possible?

Honda Nose on Glenside IMG_20181119_171151-01.jpg

Adjacent to the trails

thegock

@Paul H

I can start the CL description:

"Lightly used..."

The donor flipped her Honda on Glenside Ave Thursday sometime after 2:30pm making Max's snowstorm even worse in the UC.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
did these trails finally fall into the swamp? am i nuts for thinking about checking it out tomorrow?

FitmanNJ

did these trails finally fall into the swamp? am i nuts for thinking about checking it out tomorrow?
Ha, here's a little more nuanced answer.;)

I got out to the Newman Lot about 20 minutes before sunrise and the temp was either 21 or 23 degrees, depending on whether you believe Garmin or the Internet — either way, plenty cold to freeze things. The temperatures only dipped below freezing at about 8PM last night, however, which provided enough sub-freezing time to firm-up the drier dirt areas (crunchy), but was insufficient to freeze the existing puddles of water (they just had a thin sheet of ice on top). The areas of rutted dirt around the puddles were soft-ish and yielded somewhat to the weight of the fatbike+rider. I suppose that a narrow-tired bike would have sunk in to a greater degree.

It’s been a while since I’ve done a “daybreak” ride, so I’d forgotten how long it takes to really get a good, hard freeze. Clearly, it’s more than ~12 hours (unless MUCH colder?), and I’m thinking now that you're probably best off with a sub-freezing preceding day.

qclabrat

I got out to the Newman Lot about 20 minutes before sunrise and the temp was either 21 or 23 degrees, depending on whether you believe Garmin or the Internet — either way, plenty cold to freeze things. The temperatures only dipped below freezing at about 8PM last night, however, which provided enough sub-freezing time to firm-up the drier dirt areas (crunchy), but was insufficient to freeze the existing puddles of water (they just had a thin sheet of ice on top). The areas of rutted dirt around the puddles were soft-ish and yielded somewhat to the weight of the fatbike+rider. I suppose that a narrow-tired bike would have sunk in to a greater degree.

It’s been a while since I’ve done a “daybreak” ride, so I’d forgotten how long it takes to really get a good, hard freeze. Clearly, it’s more than ~12 hours (unless MUCH colder?), and I’m thinking now that you're probably best off with a sub-freezing preceding day.
it takes a good day and a half of sub zero, and no sun. Direct sun in even 25F will make it slick. Actually needs to stay at 20ish otherwise the thin ice is enough to insulate the moisture underneath on puddles.

rick81721

Lothar

Too late, @shrpshtr325 went already. I'm sure he'll say it was fine :rolleyes:

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Too late, @shrpshtr325 went already. I'm sure he'll say it was fine :rolleyes:

ha fine when i started maybe, but it went downhill about 2/3 of the way through my ride (actual ride, not planned ride), at which point i bailed. As noted above when it was frozen it was good and crunchy with occasional puddles with the mentioned sheet of ice (turned into a game of how frozen is it). bike was not covered in mud at completion (thankfully) but would not be going back for a couple more days (or longer)

@rick81721 doesnt like chimney rock, nor live close enough to it to give a valid answer on its conditions unless he rides it. . .

rick81721

Lothar
@rick81721 doesnt like chimney rock, nor live close enough to it to give a valid answer on its conditions unless he rides it. . .

Pfft I love CR, however, as previously stated, can't ride there from home. And I've been there enough times to know there is almost always mud - if you ride all the trails you will find it somewhere - even in the middle of July after a week of no rain. I can count on one finger the number of times I rode that place and didn't encounter a single mud spot on trail.

thegock

Minty on Yellow, a tiny bit of mud on new Middlebrook extension between Gilbride and Voseller and a tiny bit of mud on the ballfield loop (good job with the TM in there). Didn't ride the rest yesterday at 3pm.

There are two 5-6" trees down across the trail below the big damn, west of the fireroad that leads up to the Hawk Watch, but the guy I was riding with had to get home to relieve the nanny, so we didn't cut them, in case anyone has a few minutes.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Minty on Yellow, a tiny bit of mud on new Middlebrook extension between Gilbride and Voseller and a tiny bit of mud on the ballfield loop (good job with the TM in there). Didn't ride the rest yesterday at 3pm.

There are two 5-6" trees down across the trail below the big damn, west of the fireroad that leads up to the Hawk Watch, but the guy I was riding with had to get home to relieve the nanny, so we didn't cut them, in case anyone has a few minutes.

Closed today for deer hunt.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions