Rutgers Ecological Preserve Conditions

pygmypony

I was there last weekend with my son and we met a Rutgers student that was working on one of the bridges. He said the school built the trail and had an official opening for it 3 weeks ago. It was my sons first time on some legit trails. Previously the most off-road he's been has been the D&R canal and a rail trail in PA. He loved it.

original.jpg

I agree totally with Jim... for the most part, its very beginner friendly. Jim suggested it to me for my first trails two years ago. There are a few sections that are very tech... i.e. the big climb by the ravine. Basically, I'd say all of the hardest stuff is on the blue trail. The new trail has a tight little section at the farthest point.

great pic rich! looking forward to seeing you out on the trails sometime soon!

joe c

CrankAddictRich

As someone relatively new to mountain biking, seeing a pic like this blows my mind... the geometry of this bike looks nothing like the mountain bikes I'm used to seeing now. Everything looks so steep and compact.
As for Rutgers, yes, I'd imagine that everything here in the central NJ area is unrideable today and probably tomorrow.. it was pouring for a long time last night. down south, in the sand is your best bet.

w_b

As someone relatively new to mountain biking, seeing a pic like this blows my mind... the geometry of this bike looks nothing like the mountain bikes I'm used to seeing now. Everything looks so steep and compact.

LOL. Your eyes do not deceive. She’s a honey. The best bike is the one you shred on regularly; so there you have it. I spent twice as much on a new rear wheel for her than I paid for the bike.

Someday I may spring for a modern bike; last new one for me was in 1996, so I’m due.

CrankAddictRich

The best bike is the one you shred on regularly; so there you have it.

Agree 100%. Don't be confused, I'm not knocking it all. If you enjoy it and you shred it, that's awesome. Every time I go out, I learn more and more that technique and skill trumps basically everything in MTB. You can have old bike missing the latest "tech" or a steel single speed, but if you know how to shred you'll kill the guy who has the latest full carbon rig if he's got no skills. bike design just looks so different now.

Reactions: w_b

Dajerseyrat

I kinda like Rutgers, very 6 mile ish. Some challenging short climbs on blue with some nice features. Good for a 12 mile loop of you run it twice. I got 6.1 miles last time I looped it once.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190108-111007.png
    Screenshot_20190108-111007.png
    512.9 KB · Views: 210

CrankAddictRich

I kinda like Rutgers, very 6 mile ish. Some challenging short climbs on blue with some nice features. Good for a 12 mile loop of you run it twice. I got 6.1 miles last time I looped it once.

IMO, it is decidedly easier than 6Mile.... there are some sections that may seem 6Mile-ish for short portions, but most of Rutgers is pretty tame, that is almost gravel wood chip path.

Its a good spot for a quick local hit if you don't have much time, but I wouldn't recommend anyone go out of their way to travel there unless they were looking for a beginner track.

Dajerseyrat

Except for the back of Blue, which has a few spots that are extremely difficult to clean.
I couldnt clean them all, but it was a little slick. I kept going back on the one part that drops you down to the stream and sessioned it till my legs gave up. I kept slipping at the very top..

Dajerseyrat

Truth.

Also, last year the college built a new (relatively) long trail that uses a lot of terrain that was underused. As with most of the rest, it tends to get sloppy and stay sloppy. Tread lightly!

It's the loop hanging off to the left below, over by 18:

View attachment 85030
I missed that loop, I believe it was taped off or closed when I went. Its some type of nature preserve trail right?

Reactions: w_b

Dajerseyrat

You're talking about like a 50' length of trail... and that would be covered by the part were I said, 6 Mile-ish for short portions.
Nah these few climbs are HARD...Like the little red portion of Six Mile. I would love to be with someone and watch them clean all of them.

Dajerseyrat

****disclaimer : I'm no bigot or racist but I'm gonna say something, or ask something rather, that might offend a few thin skinned individuals on here who are always looking to be offended, but if you don't like my bluntness, keep scrolling..*****

Is Rutgers Ecological Preserve some sort of gay hook up site??
Reason I ask is, I have heard rumors of such and didn't believe them at all, until I rode there the few times. It's the only place I have ridden so far where there are random, solo men walking around, clearly not dressed or equipped for hiking trails. They also seem overly eager to make eye contact with you and say hello..?
On a side note, I got 4 phone numbers, 3 dick pics, and a dinner date with a Justin tonight ????

CrankAddictRich

Reason I ask is, I have heard rumors of such and didn't believe them at all, until I rode there the few times. It's the only place I have ridden so far where there are random, solo men walking around, clearly not dressed or equipped for hiking trails. They also seem overly eager to make eye contact with you and say hello

I've never heard that about Rutgers Eco. I've ridden there quite a bit and never seen anything suspect. I have seen random people hiking, but I've always just attributed it to the fact that I was riding on an eclectic college campus where students, teaching assistants and professors might be popping into the woods for a quick walk to get some fresh air in between classes or study sessions. Its not as if they have to go out of their way for a hike or dress appropriately, in some cases the trail heads are literally a few hundred feet from dorm rooms. I'd highly doubt that anything goes on in those woods, except maybe some college kids sneaking in at night to smoke a J... its not big and there's always people there during the day.

I Ride Bikes

****disclaimer : I'm no bigot or racist but I'm gonna say something, or ask something rather, that might offend a few thin skinned individuals on here who are always looking to be offended, but if you don't like my bluntness, keep scrolling..*****

Reason I ask is, I have heard rumors of such and didn't believe them at all, until I rode there the few times. It's the only place I have ridden so far where there are random, solo men walking around, clearly not dressed or equipped for hiking trails. They also seem overly eager to make eye contact with you and say hello..?
On a side note, I got 4 phone numbers, 3 dick pics, and a dinner date with a Justin tonight ????
I think everyone I know has seen the same thing and assume the rumors are true.

I Ride Bikes

I've never heard that about Rutgers Eco. I've ridden there quite a bit and never seen anything suspect. I have seen random people hiking, but I've always just attributed it to the fact that I was riding on an eclectic college campus where students, teaching assistants and professors might be popping into the woods for a quick walk to get some fresh air in between classes or study sessions. Its not as if they have to go out of their way for a hike or dress appropriately, in some cases the trail heads are literally a few hundred feet from dorm rooms. I'd highly doubt that anything goes on in those woods, except maybe some college kids sneaking in at night to smoke a J... its not big and there's always people there during the day.
This makes sense but I've been there when school was out and the lots were empty and have still seen people that didn't look like they should be out there.

Top Bottom