James Pearl Thinks Blogging is Dead

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Also, if you go to Carnegie, you are a short walk from Heinz Chapel and the Cathedral of Learning(Kathy), two of Pitts most notable buildings.
Check out the stained glass windows of chapel, they not only depict religious figures but historical ones, which is rather progressive for a chapel. Also walk through the main lobby of Kathy, the grandeur makes you feel like you're in the wizard of Oz. Kathy is right across from chapel, you can't miss it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=hei...droid-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Near there as well is the Porch, a good spot for lunch or dinner.
https://www.google.com/search?q=the...droid-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

The Warhol is over near 3 rivers walk, you could also walk across Roberto Clemente bridge.
https://www.google.com/search?q=rob...droid-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Yeah, the dirty dozen in nutz, I'm good at climbing and have zero interest in that. The roads in Pittsburgh are the steepest I've ever seen, 3rd world country stuff and they chisel these row houses into the side of a mtn. The only bike thing I'd suggest, if you really want to do a bike thing and it's mild enough, is to rent citi bikes and ride along the 3 Rivers Path. You can see Heinz field, PNC Park as well as the sights along the river. IMO this time of year it's not a must do, it's more relaxing when it's warm out.

Warhol and Carnegie are huge, and need 1day each. In fact Carnegie has Art and History, you could even break that up or cram it all in.

I will add that you need to visit the Duquesne Incline. Its historical and gives you the best perspective and views of the city. You will not regret it...and bring cash, they don't accept cc.
http://mobile.dudasite.com/site/duquesneincline?url=http://www.duquesneincline.org/&utm_referrer=https://www.google.com/#2559
Yeah, Dirty Dozen is the loop i did out there. However, it may be worth going to see Canton Ave, as the ride comes through, which is one of the steepest improved roads in the world and it is cobbled, so triple B's all 'round. However it is very, very short and most of the other hills on the loop are much harder. I am not sure what kind of idiots decided to build a city on these hills.

The Washington Overlook is not to miss (as Iggy mention).

Dominique

Team MTBNJ Halter's
gotta ask why the dogs ball is mixed in with the laundry? (im not even sure you have a dog, but it looks like my dogs favorite ball, with the little spikes, his is green, and maybe a bit bigger)

That's a dryer ball... it's supposed to make your clothes dry faster.

Dominique

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I get the dryer balls for Christmas so we use them. If we never get any more as gifts, my suspicion is that we will never use them again.

Kaleidopete

We used to put laundry out to dry, then a new washing machine came along without a lint filter.
All clothes are covered with lint now without a lint filter. Washing machine company's say "use an electric dryer"

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
IMG_6736.jpg

It was around 6:00pm yesterday when the bottom dropped out. I was on the Zwift and was tooling along. @graveyardman67 may have been with me, or may not have arrived yet. I forget. We ended up Zwifting together on a flat Watopia lap using the overly-useless wave feature in which your character on screen can wave to the people around you. It was somewhere in this neighborhood that the 2 virtual rides of the weekend coupled with, I guess, life in general, just flattened me like a pancake. It was not a world-ending event. It was just the tank hitting E. This car was out of gas.

I cobbled through the rest of the ride but then quit when I hit 100 minutes. I intended to go for 2 hours because I was in this mindset that I would load myself up with as much work as I could then go away for 4 days of rest in Pittsburgh. But there wasn't anything left yesterday and in hindsight, I should have either skipped or done something really easy.

IMG_6737.jpg

The remainder of the night was spent on E. I had nothing physically, mentally, it was like everything just flatlined. It wasn't a bad thing, per se. It was sort of like all systems went offline but I wasn't entirely ready for sleep. It's like I went on standby but wasn't allowed to go to bed just yet. Eventually I went to sleep and was out for 8 hours, just off like a lightbulb. It was great. I got on the bike today and did what I should have yesterday. 65 minutes of spinning while I text and watch TV. I will load up more tomorrow.

@2Julianas texted us yesterday and was like, and I may be paraphrasing here, "I read you whining like a baby so if you really don't want to come I guess fine then just go sit on your couch like a lazy shit all weekend." See no, I'm not putting the trip off, it's just one of those, what do you call it, optical illusions. What appears to be a tiring weekend has every opportunity to be a good break from the snow-covered leaves I see out the window. If we can't do much outside here, might as well go somewhere different with friends and have fun together not really doing much outside somewhere else. Appreciate the suggestions @pooriggy - duly noted.

@seanrunnette also suggested a similar ripcord to pull pertaining to Louisville and I was like no, I am all-in. I admit that the whole E on the gas tank should be a small red flag and as such, I am going to try to do a hard ride tomorrow then take the 4 days off as I grease myself into this last 4 week run like a pig at a county fair. It may not seem like it but I am still going to show up trying to be abso-frogging-lutely prepared to throw down on December 14th. If things don't work out then hey, like we learned in the Big Lebowski, sometimes the bar eats you.

IMG_6738.jpg

I have started taking on some of the PdM (Product Management) work this week and holy shit, between these 2 silos the amount of meetings is off the charts. Here was my meeting lineup today:

9-10: Duke
10-11: Delaware
11-11:30: Seattle
11:30-2:00: Internal engineering product overview
2-3: Internal User Support triage call
3-4: PdM engineering grooming session
FREEDOM FOR 30 WHOLE MINUTES <---- This is where I am supposed to get any actual work done. I spent it scratching my ass.
4:30-5:00: Internal release process call

None of that actually matters other than the fact this was 7.5 hours of meetings, in just one day. Believe it or not, none of these was I able to just detach and listen. I was actually involved in all of them. I guess this is a good thing but goddamn, this is a mental challenge to have a day like this.

Haha, holy shit I just got an invite for 12/5-6 to be in Austin. I told my boss that they can eat a dick. I know this sounds like hyperbole, but it's not. I did my self-review yesterday and one of the sections was "grit" - I shit you not, it was really there. I literally added, "I have so much grit that you could confuse me with 600 grit sandpaper." I can't take this shit seriously.

I am sure many of you have seen this before, but if not, this is a bunch of kids doing Tool's 46 and 2. It's a really awesome version and they are all solid (especially dudeman on the sticks, he has a long career of stick-banging ahead of him) but this kid on the drums absolutely kills it. This pops up on my YouTube surfing every now & again and every time I love watching this.

thegock

This is the dryer ball thread, aight?

When the wash machine came up during training beverage time conversation last night with Mrs. G, I volunteered dryer ball info from this thread. Specifically, I told her that dryer balls are an urban legend type hoax per @rick81721. Mrs. G has never met rick, prolly never will, but knows of him from rides we have done.

She then said that she had bought some on sale dryer balz last weekend on her Christmas shopping trip, I had too much time on my hands at work, then asked for the 88th time whether all my mtb friends were gay. Rather than make sophomoric jokes, I "talked" her off the ledge by listening to an hour of "Tales from Dystopian Education." This is her job, which is very important to her, and by extension, both of us.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
mentioned this before - your participation on those calls is Actual Work. Don't do PM stuff if going in
with the idea that it isn't. (and yeah, in-transition, so there is the other work)

i'm trying to use a metaphor where you are driving the bus, but your post seems like you were run over. which
would make it a simile.

Maybe you should be directing the authoring of some training material/classes on the product, to move all the code people up a few levels?
Then when you hit the directional, everyone knows what it means and how to stay in the draft.

Here is some bold, underlined, strike through, italicized text. What a fantastic world we live in.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
mentioned this before - your participation on those calls is Actual Work. Don't do PM stuff if going in
with the idea that it isn't. (and yeah, in-transition, so there is the other work)

i'm trying to use a metaphor where you are driving the bus, but your post seems like you were run over. which
would make it a simile.

Maybe you should be directing the authoring of some training material/classes on the product, to move all the code people up a few levels?
Then when you hit the directional, everyone knows what it means and how to stay in the draft.

Here is some bold, underlined, strike through, italicized text. What a fantastic world we live in.

hitting the bottle early? or do i need to start making my coffee stronger?

Top Bottom