Winter gear must haves?

chaloots

I only started riding in the cold last year and was able keep the momentum all winter due to a couple key pieces.
Keep on on the lookout for sales/discounts. Piece it together a bit at a time as you figure out what you need.

key items for me...
a wicking head gasket to wear under helmet and cover ears as heat escapes from your head ( helps insulate my bald head too)
a soft shell jacket for temps below 40. i run mine w/only a SS jersey as a base. if it gets too hot i can dump heat via vents quickly.
Temps 30 and below ill replace SS base w/LS, any colder i may add another base layer.
I picked up some inexpensive Amazon riding pants as a recommendation from Mr wookie. they were great for temps below 35, worn w/just normal chamois shorts as a base. no need for a full length base layer as double front material blocks cold as you move. i've since replaced them with a nicer craft pair i picked up on closeout over the summer but they served me well and are still in rotation.

Dajerseyrat

Funny story but first time I ever mountain biked was back in 1994 with buddies that took me to Lewis Morris park in snow covered January. I was on a cheap GT rigid frame bike with cheap and slippery plastic pedals. It was a dangerous and miserable experience..I was hooked on mountain biking instantly..

qclabrat

??? Are you getting into downhill mtbing???
I know you may think I'm busting your balls, but if your funds are limited, this is very low on priority of winter riding items, imo.

Everyone will tell you what you NEED for winter mtbing but honestly you need to get out and find out what part of your body gets cold. Keeping yourself comfortable is important, for some their feet get cold and need better shoes, others may have a problem with their hands getting cold, some sweat a lot and need less core layers. Some parts of your body may require spending more money on then others, it will take you a winter to sort this stuff out. You don't need to go out and buy everything, over time you'll find out what you need.
late to responses and everyone has good recoms
Chis has it right, everyone gets cold in different places and extremities. For me cold gets my ears so I need a beanie before anything else. Next are my toes then fingers. If windy and cold, Gore windstopper. I can go without too much for my legs, though I've started wearing knee warmers as I've heard it really helps to combat joint pains. Spend the dough where you need it the most. For me I couldn't go without a good jacket and shoes.

qclabrat

I usually forget to do this, but I throw the gloves on the dashboard and the shoes on the floor so they both get hit with the heater on the way to the trails.

This is big game changer for me, don't store your gloves and shoes outside or even the garage. If you start cold there to start it's hard to warm up. Also for me, I'll wiggle my fingers and toes throughout the ride, my fingers will eventually warm up but my toes rarely do, which is why I bought extreme winter hiking boots this year from Baffin

qclabrat

No and HELL NO... probably low 30s is the coldest I plan on going out, as you said anything else is taking the fun out of it.
you're going to have a relatively short winter, lock up this thread...
1542131311537.png

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is big game changer for me, don't store your gloves and shoes outside or even the garage. If you start cold there to start it's hard to warm up. Also for me, I'll wiggle my fingers and toes throughout the ride, my fingers will eventually warm up but my toes rarely do, which is why I bought extreme winter hiking boots this year from Baffin

Another tip I've heard from a MX guy was to put tape on the brake levers. That'll prevent the cold metal of the brake lever from making your fingers cold. I haven't bothered to try it yet though.

bergsnj

i just wear layers and in the real cold i wear an old ski jacket with a wind breaker under it. Also a full face ski mask/hat and gloves. On my legs i wear long underwear/thermals and regular riding shorts with padded liner and knee pads. Good wool socks are also needed. I've ridden all through the past 3-4 winters like this in temps down to the single digits. Riding on frozen ground can be so much fun. the bike will never be so clean after a ride.......and even at night....

Attachments

• snow trigger.JPG
    snow trigger.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 80
Top Bottom