Dear Iggy - An Advice Column

Dear Iggy,

While I understand this may not be your, well let's say your ken, for lack of a better word, I have a...ok I know, I know...I have a grammar question.

Suppose I am writing a book. And since I am not what society calls "a writer" I have come to call this thing I am writing "my book" for lack of a better way to express it. Now suppose I want to end a sentence with the quoted expression "my book" established above. How should I use this expression? Specifically, where does the period go?

A (inside). I am trying to put more time into "my book."
B (outside). I am trying to put more time into "my book".

Signed,
Period Puzzled north of Piscataway

From: https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/how-to-use-quotation-marks

The most common question people ask about quotation marks is whether periods and commas go inside or outside, and the answer depends on where your audience lives because in American English we always put periods and commas inside quotation marks, but in British English periods and commas can go inside or outside
  • Semicolons, colons, and dashes always go outside the closing quotation mark.
  • Periods and commas always go inside the closing quotation mark (in American English).
  • Question marks and exclamation points require you to think about the sentence a little to determine where they go.

961C1217-87DD-4389-85D4-140D11532FEF.jpeg

I know this one....and its so not surprising.

Why do we call you Iggy? Can you explain your nickname to us?

I've explained this one before, but I'll cover it again.
I work for the Monmouth Co Park System, the golf course division. Occasionally we get transferred to different courses. About 10+ yrs. ago I was transferred to this course and one of the guys, Jeff, (the official nick name giver of the Park System) started calling me Iggy. I didn't think too much of it at the time, I figured since I'm skinny he nick named me after Iggy Pop. Shortly after we where bs-ing in the shop one day and someone asked why they call me Iggy, I was like, I guess it's because I look like Iggy Pop?
Jeff started laughing and chimed in, we call him Iggy because when ever the boss comes around he sets him off like a rocket, he's the IGNITOR.

I've explained this one before, but I'll cover it again.
I work for the Monmouth Co Park System, the golf course division. Occasionally we get transferred to different courses. About 10+ yrs. ago I was transferred to this course and one of the guys, Jeff, (the official nick name giver of the Park System) started calling me Iggy. I didn't think too much of it at the time, I figured since I'm skinny he nick named me after Iggy Pop. Shortly after we where bs-ing in the shop one day and someone asked why they call me Iggy, I was like, I guess it's because I look like Iggy Pop?
Jeff started laughing and chimed in, we call him Iggy because when ever the boss comes around he sets him off like a rocket, he's the IGNITOR.
we'd like some stories of these ignitions when you get a chance

^that was the old, less wise Iggy.
I'll see what stories I can come up with and still keep my job.

Back
Top Bottom