Where can you (mostly legally) ride on the beach?

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Got some extra time tomorrow and thinking about a beach ride. Is there anywhere you can ride legit around here? I know @icebiker rambled around Long Island and sandy hook used to be ok but now there's controversy?

Thx in advance.

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Fyi. HIgh tides in Keansburg are at 11am and 1156am Saturday and Sunday. Keep that in mind because you will be tight on finding solid sand.
Sandy Hook rangers will kick you off if caught.

Last edited:

Kaleidopete

I remember riding Wildwood in off season and the cops were fine with it.
I even rode north of Wildwood and there were even trucks on the beach. (fishermen)

pygmypony

and coming from someone who rides Sandy Hook often, the rangers routinely check the beaches so the chances of a run in with John Law are pretty good.
i've ridden the sandy hook beach a couple of times now and haven't had a run in with John Law...yet!

for what it's worth, here's the actual rule against bike riding on the beach at the hook...

https://www.nps.gov/gate/learn/mana...mpendium_24May2018_Signature_rev8June2018.pdf

Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 11.16.08 AM.png

thegock

i've ridden the sandy hook beach a couple of times now and haven't had a run in with John Law...yet!]

I have ridden Sandy Hook over ten times in the winter and got tossed once. Offsetting bonus: Ranger Jane was a hot-for-50 woman.

The last time this winter, we ran into a four man crew who were doing 30+ miles on the beach southbound, who had just gotten tossed.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Got some extra time tomorrow and thinking about a beach ride. Is there anywhere you can ride legit around here? I know @icebiker rambled around Long Island and sandy hook used to be ok but now there's controversy?

Thx in advance.
Yep, The Man put the spoils on the beach at Sandy Hook recently by updating the park policy (as per above post). I was at long Branch last week and asked the local constabulary and they said beach riding is fine after Sep 30 and before May 1. In Long Island, especially further out towards the Hamptons it’s cool (they even let 4WD’s on some beaches). The good guys at CLIMB would know best. I will be attempting a beach ride in LI next month and will report back.

Top Bottom